The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been taking oral steroids long term for another health issue. My A1c was 5.7 before steroids, now it's 6.4. I've been eating Greek yogurt (8 carbs in yogurt) with a small amount of fruit for breakfast and my numbers can jump 50 points within 2 hours after eating. I started experimenting with all protein for breakfast and am thrilled my numbers only rise 10-15 points now. I take the steroids with breakfast and see a peak in b.g. within a few hours. Eating this way is really making it easier to keep my numbers lower throughout the day.

Just for kicks, I ate a Greek yogurt tonight and my numbers barely moved. That's more like what I expected 8 carbs to do to me!

I've only had diabetes for a year.....but the most important thing I've learned is to keep experimenting!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a friend who has a son who thought he was pre-diabetic, until recently. He got poison ivy and docs put him on steroids; his bsl went out of control and up over 400. Needless to say, he just spent about two weeks in the hospital, very strict diet, no steroids, using antibiotics to treat the infection caused by the poison ivy. Full blown diabetic he was (and is), but the steroids did a number on him! I was shocked that it took that long to get his numbers under control!

Sent from TDH :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts