The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had heavy cream in my Southern Pecan coffee.
Bacon & a side of fluffy scrambled eggs.
Couple slices of the last of my Heirloom Tomatoes.

I feel full & :lalala:.

so whats for lunch?

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Luck you with the heirloom tomatoes! Just outta curiosity do tomatoes spike you ever? They seem to me to run my BG up some, and more in the mornings when I have to really watch the carbs, but seem okay for afternoon or supper.

My attitude these days, 'to heck with it' as I eat the last of the homegrown tomatoes. :) They have been pretty rare anyway these days as we're in such a drought here that most people lost them anyway. Of course you've had plenty of water to grow them!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think there are certain foods like heirloom tomatoes that are worth it even if they spike me a little. I feel tomatoes and things like V 8 juice have so much potassium it is choosing your carbs wisely. Sounds like you had a great breakfast.

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
741 Posts
a really yummy tomato would be my favourite food ever!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read somewhere that tomato is a toxic food, and we should avoid, I could not read whole article about the toxic food. Have you any idea about the toxic food?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Since we are talking tomatoes. When I was dx I ask my Doc about tomatoes . If was ok to eat them . He said, I could eat about 100 a day if I wanted to. Not only that he said ,Tomatoes are good to fight off cancer.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was told that tomatoe is a fruit & treat them as so. They will spike you. I only have them every now & then.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
They are a fruit, so I eat them at times, but expect a proven for me higher blood spike. Right now, we are on the last of them for this summer due to our high temps, so I am eating a slice or two at lunch until they are gone and just trying to off set their impact on my BG by eating plenty of fat at the same time.

They aren't really toxic as far as I know.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you know you're sensitive to alkaloids, then avoiding tomatoes would be the sensible thing to do, and you'd be expecting to avoid peppers, eggplant & potatoes too. These are all nightshades, and can cause symptoms in persons who are more sensitive than most.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts