The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been a diabetic for almost 2 weeks now. I am completely lost, but I'm doing my best to stay positive in the face of a lifetime of counting carbs and dealing with an incurable..... well yall know!!

I have been trying to get my bs within a normal range. After my dx at the Dr office we agreed that I would come back in two weeks and see where I'm at without meds. So the hope is to treat my D with diet an exercise alone.

My fasting number that day of dx was 244. I have been working hard to get my sugar down. Its a real struggle right now because not only am I trying to re-learn everything about food. I then have to try an educate my wife and kids who also don't know or understand. And do it without hurting anyone's feelings.

Anyway Im off topic. So as I was saying I'm trying to get my numbers down with diet and exercise alone. The first few days I couldn't get out of the mid 200's. Yesterday I was in the mid 100's. Today my fasting number was 137. Two more test during the day were 153 and 142.

I go to subway tonight for dinner ( I'm working the night shift tonight ) and have a 6 inch turkey and bacon on flat bread. A few veggies on it and a diet coke... I check my bs 2 and a half hours later. 216. Ahhhhhhh

Is there no where for me to eat anymore? Is it just me, the farmers market, and my kitchen from now on??

Sorry for venting in public... I guess I'm not so positive tonight... Darn Subway.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Subway actually has the answer for you themselves . . . you can order any of their sandwiches as a salad. It wasn't the turkey/bacon/veggies that did you in, it was the bread. It's always the damn bread. You can't eat bread anymore. Not even if it's flatbread, not even if it's whole grain or organic or whatever else is marketed as "healthy". You can't eat rice, pasta or potatoes anymore either. Whatever is pronounced as healthy for the rest of society, they aren't talking about conscientious diabetics.

If you can't find something on the menu that isn't served on buns or bread, then ask if they'll swap out the bread for lettuce leaf instead. If they don't make those accommodations, then throw out the buns/bread and eat the filling.

When I go to Arby's for their 99¢ Tuesday Arbys? I take one of my high-fiber low-carb tortillas (which I KNOW doesn't spike me), and I remove the beef from their buns, drizzle with Arby & Horsey sauce, roll it up in my nice BS-safe tortilla and enjoy it every bit as much as I ever did before when I ate the buns.

Here's a recent thread on how to handle eating out: http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-diet-nutrition/5073-restaurant-rant.html

Get hold of a copy of the carb/calorie counter book mentioned in the thread, and start checking the count before you order.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Shanny is right. no more bread.

i havnt had bread in probably over a year, cant even remember.

the general rule is, if its white, do not eat it.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
oh, and as for hurting others feelings? too bad. they need to know how it is in the real world. maybe this will be the nudge they need to do everything in their power to not become diabetic

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ThoseBackPages said:
oh, and as for hurting others feelings? too bad. they need to know how it is in the real world. maybe this will be the nudge they need to do everything in their power to not become diabetic
Thanks for your advice. I will miss bread, and all the jams and spreads I used to put on them..

As far as your advice on other peoples feelings, I have to disagree.

When my wife goes out and buys me thin ranch flavor rice cakes and whole wheat bread she is just trying to be helpful and supportive. She just didn't realize(and neither did I) that the wheat bread and stuff like that in stores are loaded with carbs.

So there is no need to make others upset or uncomfortable in order to educate. There are better ways.

Plus, I know I have some very difficult days ahead of me. Days when I just can't take it anymore and want to through my meter out the window and head to McDonald's. On those days I'm really going to need family and friends.

Thanks again for your input, I'm already feeling better. My bg levels must be going down... :p

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shanny said:
Subway actually has the answer for you themselves . . . you can order any of their sandwiches as a salad. It wasn't the turkey/bacon/veggies that did you in, it was the bread. It's always the damn bread. You can't eat bread anymore. Not even if it's flatbread, not even if it's whole grain or organic or whatever else is marketed as "healthy". You can't eat rice, pasta or potatoes anymore either. Whatever is pronounced as healthy for the rest of society, they aren't talking about conscientious diabetics.

If you can't find something on the menu that isn't served on buns or bread, then ask if they'll swap out the bread for lettuce leaf instead. If they don't make those accommodations, then throw out the buns/bread and eat the filling.

When I go to Arby's for their 99¢ Tuesday Arbys? I take one of my high-fiber low-carb tortillas (which I KNOW doesn't spike me), and I remove the beef from their buns, drizzle with Arby & Horsey sauce, roll it up in my nice BS-safe tortilla and enjoy it every bit as much as I ever did before when I ate the buns.

Here's a recent thread on how to handle eating out: http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-diet-nutrition/5073-restaurant-rant.html

Get hold of a copy of the carb/calorie counter book mentioned in the thread, and start checking the count before you order.
Hey Shanny,

Thanks for the great advice, it was very helpful. I was a big bread person and will miss it, but I have wanted to eat healthy and work out on a regular basis for years.. its just a shame I had to become diabetic in order to get off my back side.

Ok, I'm off to the store to buy some cauliflower. It's my new favorite.

Shanny you have a great day. Talk to you soon....

O

·
0 Posts
well I eat subway myself and I have the 6 inch wholegrain sub and my BGLs are normally fine afterwards. But then again I'm not probably considered the norm for others here..... I do know others here are Ok with subway subs too as I recall seeing it posted. But if you can handle bread at all.... it's the wholegrain that's the go... the other stuff will spike your BGLs suddenly... and you want sustained energy from your carbs. Also what sauce did you get on it? Sauces are loaded with sugars normally. The bacon they use could also be cured in sugar. I tend to try different stuff there.... I opt for the mayonnaise or mustard and stay away from the other sauces (tried them before and they do make a difference with my BGLs). I never usually ask for bacon either. So all you can do is try what works for you really. Maybe you can't handle bread at all... if so, then just eat salad & meat there like others have mentioned.

O

·
0 Posts
Ok... this post title stood out as I actually just grabbed subway for dinner tonight... gotta try and catch the royal wedding you see. lol.
The thing is I tested at 4.9 before I ate a 6 inch steak & cheese wholegrain sub with mustard & vegies. 1.5 hours later I'm sitting on 4.1 and feeling hypo... but then again I've had a weird day.... started on 3.9 this morning. I should mention I've had a few quick acting carbs already and it's not going up... grrr. I'm obviously more sensitive to insulin or something at the moment.... I don't know :confused:... I've got lots of drugs in me at the moment and still feeling side effects from that drug I stopped on Tues.... lucky I can tell the difference between hypo & the drug effects.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
As diabetics many of us have to give up certain "healthy foods" we formerly consumed. There are some sprouted and low carb breads or wraps I can tolerate without too much of spike. But most bread in fast food places is made with processed wheat flour, which turns to glucose faster than sugar. I tried to lower my bgs with diet and exercise alone and could only get them so far. I then tried Metformin and now take the maximum. It really does help.

·
Registered
105 Posts
So I have been a diabetic for almost 2 weeks now. I am completely lost, but I'm doing my best to stay positive in the face of a lifetime of counting carbs and dealing with an incurable..... well yall know!!

I have been trying to get my bs within a normal range. After my dx at the Dr office we agreed that I would come back in two weeks and see where I'm at without meds. So the hope is to treat my D with diet an exercise alone.

My fasting number that day of dx was 244. I have been working hard to get my sugar down. Its a real struggle right now because not only am I trying to re-learn everything about food. I then have to try an educate my wife and kids who also don't know or understand. And do it without hurting anyone's feelings.

Anyway Im off topic. So as I was saying I'm trying to get my numbers down with diet and exercise alone. The first few days I couldn't get out of the mid 200's. Yesterday I was in the mid 100's. Today my fasting number was 137. Two more test during the day were 153 and 142.

I go to subway tonight for dinner ( I'm working the night shift tonight ) and have a 6 inch turkey and bacon on flat bread. A few veggies on it and a diet coke... I check my bs 2 and a half hours later. 216. Ahhhhhhh

Is there no where for me to eat anymore? Is it just me, the farmers market, and my kitchen from now on??

Sorry for venting in public... I guess I'm not so positive tonight... Darn Subway.

Have you tried adding Vinegar to your diet?? I read that Apple Cider vinegar really kills ur sugar and brings ur glucose down. Other vinegars would help too if you dont have apple cider around, but any acid would kill sugar. and do u order soda, juice or water at subway?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts