The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My student-pharmacist daughter is currently doing a rotation at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, where they've banned soda sales for health reasons. Sounds okay on the face of it, but the way it's implemented, you can't buy a diet soda pop, but you can buy "fruit juice," including full-sugar lemonade and Hawaiian Punch. :eek: Who dreams these things up?

I'm also in a fight with Alaska because my daughter is loving it there too much; I'm afraid she might want to move. When I talked to her this afternoon she was happily taking a walk on one of their many trails and it was -12 F (-24 C). She'd tried to go dog-sledding, but there was too much snow. The fact that she finds all this fun makes me think she was switched at birth.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When states ban certain foods , they think they are doing something good but sometime miss the boat. The media believes that we are all diabetic because we drank sugary sodas. I rarely drank soda but did consume OJ because it was "so healthy". I also consumed way too much 9 grain bread. So this becomes a slippery slope when you start banning food. As far as her staying in Alaska, give her one or two winters of total darkness and she'll be running back to WV.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Healthy Fruit juices indicates some kind of industrial lobbying in action, at best.

How is your daughter's thyroid function? LOL!

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
I spent four years in anchorage while stationed at, what was then Elmendorf Air Force Base. Loved every minute!! From skiing to salmon runs hunting and fishing and even midnight golf. Just so much to do. And compared to the god awful summers of Kentucky, where I was born and raised, it was wonderful. Nevermind the oil money. :D

Hmmm

Maybe I'm not the best to persuade your daughter. Lol. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
I spent four years in anchorage while stationed at, what was then Elmendorf Air Force Base. Loved every minute!! From skiing to salmon runs hunting and fishing and even midnight golf. Just so much to do. And compared to the god awful summers of Kentucky, where I was born and raised, it was wonderful. Nevermind the oil money. :D

Hmmm

Maybe I'm not the best to persuade your daughter. Lol. :D
My husband was stationed there too and he talks about it non-stop!

He keeps trying to persuade me to go there with "it's not THAT cold". And then he tells stories of dropping tempered steel tools that shattered when they hit the ground! :eek:

Yeah...not too cold my foot!

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Or throwing hot coffee in the air and it being frozen before it it's the ground!

Actually, compared to the Dakotas it's not as bad. If you can handle that your good for the anchorage bowl.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My son and his wife are teachers.. they went up to teach in a native village near Nome just for a year or two to pay off their student loans. Then they went to Dillingham... 3 years in Barrow and now they've bought a house in Ketchikan. I haven't seen my granddaughters in over a year (when the younger one was born). Wish I could move up there but I have granddaughters here too!

Reactions: WV Mom

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Checked again with my daughter. She's not sure if the soda ban is just for the Alaska Native Medical Center or if that's the tip of the (very cold, Alaskan) iceberg.

As for staying there, today Scripps Mercy Hospital in San Diego called her for an interview for a possible residency, starting this summer. Ha! Let's see her love Alaska she experiences that beautiful weather. :D

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You guys all make me laugh sometimes :) Thanks for that!

·
Registered
96 Posts
You guys all make me laugh sometimes :) Thanks for that!
Lucius Annaeus Seneca said “It better befits a man to laugh at life than to lament over it.”
:madgrin:

·
Registered
156 Posts
My son is almost 20, and my girl is 22. Their fights are not my fights unless they ask for help.

I have no issues with banning sugar, but I agree that banning one source and not another is wishy-washy.

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 13 of 13 Posts