The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's 73. ☹ Should have been under 30. No word from docs.
It was fine last year when I was diagnosed and since then my blood sugar has dropped in the 5% range. And now this. I am just praying here that it's all because the test was done during a kidney infection. I have to hang on to some hope.

·
Super Moderator
9,508 Posts
Taso in a couple of places that I read on this,subsequent testing must be done to confirm any results. One test may not mean anything, with you being at the lower end of the scale 30-300 is considered moderate.

Reactions: Taso

·
Registered
799 Posts
Mine was off really bad a year or two ago. Infection or dehydration can cause it. It was normal the next time.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My doc didn't even mention retesting. I just got an email and they want to give me blood pressure meds for kidney.
I am frustrated by Kaiser. The doc I want doesn't take new patients.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yep, that's the way of it. In fact, when I was in the clinic a couple of days ago, there was a woman there who had nothing good to say about Kaiser and she's thankful she's left CA for that reason alone. My sister, on the other hand, said Kaiser was nothing but good for her ex, so YMMV.

My suggestion is to tell the doc that you want a retest before taking meds as you think your kidney infection may have caused the test to be wonky. Although, that is a newish protocol even locally here. If you are regularly above 135/90, they want you on blood pressure meds to protect kidney, so it's not just Kaiser recommending that. But, unless you had quite high blood pressure, I'd have rechecks on that too as well. I had white coat hypertension for years and a home machine showed that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My blood pressure was 116/70. They want me on blood pressure meds to protect kidney, which they believe is damaged by sugar. I will fight for retest.
Oh, how I miss my Blue Cross insurance. I am so frustrated with the way Kaiser handles patients.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I wish my doctor at Kaiser was taking new patients - everyone deserves a doctor like her. Yes, keep fighting for a retest and keep searching for another doctor - the good ones do exist there..

·
Registered
799 Posts
I found this interesting. They recommend an ARB over an ACE inhibitor. Note: the med mentioned Avapro is now available as a generic. This article was from 2001.

Diabetics Get Kidney Protection From ARBs

edited to add: Never mind. Both work equally well although ARB does not produce a chronic cough.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Ok, this is why they push it. So it is a REASONABLE recommendation if your retest shows anything. There is probably more substantial data around. It's if you don't fall into the guidelines that makes it questionable.

"Currently, the ADA recommends ACE inhibitors for people with high blood pressure and microalbuminuria or clinical albuminuria (clinical markers of kidney disease). The ADA also recommends that ACE inhibitors be considered for people over 55 with or without high blood pressure but with another cardiovascular risk factor (such as a history of cardiovascular disease, abnormal blood lipid levels, microalbuminuria, or smoking)."

That said, I am unable to determine if any of these studies included a lot of women, so if you are female, the recommendations may be based on ...nothing. again.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
My last malb/cr was 265 last January and my blood pressure was running 140-150/90 which my Cardiologist was happy with but my PCP wanted it lower because of the protein in my urine. She changed me from Captopril, an ACE, to Benicar, an ARB and my blood pressure is now 120/70 at the highest and usually lower than that. I haven't been tested again yet but it will be interesting to see how much of an effect there has been. At this point I'm not overly concerned about it but I think the lower blood pressure is a good thing.

I was with Kaiser for 10 years and as anyone can tell you there are good and bad doctors there. My PCP was not too bad at all and the Ophthalmology department was great and the surgeon that did my Cataract surgery was outstanding. That being said I had my share of experiences with really bad doctors, mostly in urgent care so it is somewhat of a crap shoot. That being said it can also be a challenge to find a competent Doctor on the outside as I have found since I retired.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have blood pressure issues at all. Yes I am a female in early 40s. It's the only time this test has been off and it was taken during E. Coli induced kidney infection, fever, and dehydration. I really want to retest. They just want me straight on meds.
I once liked a doc at the facility (I saw her because my doc was on vacation), but she won't take new patients. How do I plead?

·
Registered
799 Posts
I once liked a doc at the facility (I saw her because my doc was on vacation), but she won't take new patients. How do I plead?
You can plead all you want, but in my experience, they don't budge unless you are a returning patient (i.e. you were her regular patient before). However, availability may be in the future depending on WHY they are no longer taking patients. So, I would ask the staff. My own primary no longer accepts new patients - just referrals from other doctors in the clinic (in addition to diabetes, he specializes in sports medicine). He'll be retiring in another 5 years, so I'll be looking again...

·
Super Moderator
9,508 Posts
You could reference this website and google for more.

Reactions: Bunjee and Taso
1 - 13 of 13 Posts