The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now with new year's around the corner, does anyone know if it's safe to get drunk? I'm on 1/2 pill of met twice a day, 1.25 ramapril and 81mg aspirin daily. I haven't drank in 2 years, not a big drinker but I feel like getting drunk on new years this year. I've never had a low or as some call it hypo. I know alcohol impairs the liver but I'm almost on no meds, I'm on minimal meds and need a good drunk night.

I really don't like drinking and I have never had 1 single drink around my kids but a night off from them and some friends coming over, that equals a good night.

Any response will do! I know all of you know quite a bit on diabetes.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My understanding is that alcohol may enhance the action of your meds. As your are not on insulin I don't believe that you need to worry about hypoglcemia.

As you seldom drink, probably a couple of drinks will have you dancing with the lampshade on your head. It'll probably do you more good from a stress release standpoint. Don't Drink and Drive goes with out saying.

·
Registered
344 Posts
As you seldom drink, probably a couple of drinks will have you dancing with the lampshade on your head. It'll probably do you more good from a stress release standpoint. Don't Drink and Drive goes with out saying.

Probably true. I know for me not drinking for 25 years and then having one, yeah one beer is about all it took for me to quit again.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I rarely drink now but used to daily. It was just a part of my (high fat) supper. The only thing I watched out for was to avoid the high carb drinks.

Those would be beer, sweet wines, drinks mixed with sugar sodas.

Something like a dry martini or hard liquor won't put your sugars up.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My concern really isnt getting highs and lows. My concern is interactions with my medications. I pretty much know now what my body can and cant handle, still working on that though a bit.

But yes it will be straight hard liquor. No coke or ginger ale. Maybe diet though. Man I used to love imported beer too.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I find since taking metformin, I have to be careful with Alcohol. I drink mostly wine but cannot drink more than a couple of glasses at one time. I find it does send me low if I have more than 2 drinks. Last holiday season I went into the 60's for the first time after drinking one too many glasses of wine. On my Metformin bottle it clearly states Do not drink Alcohol. So be careful and make sure you eat more carbs than usual. Basically your liver shuts down to processing carbs and normal function so it can clear the toxin from the alcohol out of your system. This means your liver won't dump glucose when you go low as it is desinged to do.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You also might want to let at least one of your friends know about your diabetes ... just in case your blood sugar would go low so that they could help you if needed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I used to drink everyday but now only on Saturdays and only VERY Light Beer 67 cals 2g Carbs 0 sugar 3 % alcohol in a 341 ml bottle, I would stay away from the hard alcohol

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
I take a drink everyday before dinner. I never had any problems with my metformin + alcohol. Now i'm off the drug so there are no issues. BG drops a bit with alcohol. I'd say go ahead, enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you are wondering how it is going to interact, just bring your meter and test once in a while. That's what I did last night and after a few readings of 4.22's I decided it was time to add a few carbs to my evening meal and snacks ;).

Do not fuss over it to much but if u do drink beer better make it a light one.
T

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
It has all been said. Alcohol is a poison and the liver gets a hammering if you overdo it - even if you're healthy. Alongside medication, the interaction of the two chemicals has to be watched. With some medications, the answer is a straight "don't", with others, a watch being kept is enough.
As has been mentioned, this is one situation where keeping your condition a secret is a very bad idea. Make sure that at least a couple of your drinking buddies are aware of the possible issues and can help if you go over the top.
I have one glass of red wine with dinner every night. On the odd occasion when I have a second glass, I certainly notice the effect far more than I did when splitting a bottle each night with the wife was pretty normal!
The message - Think about it and if you decide to have a drink, enjoy yourself but don't have too much!:)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everyone I know knows I have diabetes, I don't keep it under wraps. My wife will also be there. I don't feel the need to hide it. But yes, I will probably only have a couple anyway and not get hammered.

Thanks for the tips fellas!

Have a good Christmas all.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I'm on 500mg of Metformin per day (one pill) and I went to a party on the weekend where I had several spiced rum drinks. I also had a few treats, like a butter tart. After the party my BG was 6.2.

I would say do not drink to excess and you will probably be ok, but nobody on the internet will tell you you will be OK for sure because nobody wants to be legally liable. Which is why, IMHO, they put that warning about alcohol on the Metformin. It's also why manufacturers put "this product may have come into contact with nuts" on their packaging, because it's more work to determine if it actually DID come in contact, and better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
For me alcohol means one glass of red wine sometimes. Just now I have a red wine called Kens Creek at home. It has only 2 carbo for each liter wine, and when I just drink one glass I have no troubles with liverdumping.
But I must say I dont think I would feel safe if I got drunk.......

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love beer, with the exception of light beers, which to me are tasteless. I like craft beers, and especially the darker ones. I am, however, careful to limit my intake to two 16oz glasses over time. My FBS's are always good the next morning, and no lows during the evening. Wine? Italian Reds. As to a cocktail, a gin martini, very dry with a lemon twist (and good gin) hits the spot.

I know what the medication labels say, but with moderation I have never had a problem, and both my doc, and dietician know I indulge, and have no problem with it.

Earle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts