The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, and this is another one of my debating threads!

Whether drinking is worse for a diabetic than a non-diabetic, and why ?

Before answering :
We all should know how alcohol affects the liver, and in turn effects the metabolism of glucose. Thus, being said what is the culprit on why people think drinking alcohol causes diabetics to have complications ?

I know many of you are going to say "its worse for diabetics because when they get drunk they forget to take insulin, make poor eating choices, or make an error in insulin."

I seriously want a good debate disregarding these types of answers, because even non-diabetics make poor choices, I guess if we made one it would spell higher consequences, but taking into consideration that we arent getting drunk to the point of inebriation, please share your findings.

·
Registered
663 Posts
G'day Stu, Yes alcohol do suppress glucodon to the body as the Alcohol stops the liver from producing. To the diabetic, It can lower the Blood Glucose and walk into rather scary territory as you have a sip of the doings, Test, Have some more, Test, Oops have some Carbs "Hic" :eek: have another test and you would be in 2 hours or so and be under 5 / 90 wich is not a total disaster but I think like in all good licquer. There is good food as that's a marriage not to be broken up!!! ;) The danger is don't just drink!! have food too. :D And of course test!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
This information may have been stated in a different way, but here is my version. I have read this information from this webpage Alcohol and Diabetes

"Your body views an alcoholic drink as a toxin in the system, a poison. Your liver works hard to clear it from the blood quickly. While this is happening, your liver will not release any glucose again until it has removed the alcohol.

This can lead to a dangerous situation because when your blood sugar levels begin to drop your liver will normally step in and help. It will start by sending out glucose into the blood to help you avoid or at the very least slow down a low blood sugar reaction. However, this reaction will not take place when you have alcohol in your body, because your liver will be focusing all its energy on removing the poison causing a greater risk to you and your health."

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alcohol - Bad or Good?

I find that drinking helps my blood sugar. My explanation is that while my liver is busy burning off the alcohol, it is not pumping the extra glucose (that my body has no way of handling) into my system.

I stick to Grey Goose (Vodka) and Club Soda...maybe a dash of Patron on occassion...and a good Cabernet of course.

:confused:

Hello all, and this is another one of my debating threads!

Whether drinking is worse for a diabetic than a non-diabetic, and why ?

Before answering :
We all should know how alcohol affects the liver, and in turn effects the metabolism of glucose. Thus, being said what is the culprit on why people think drinking alcohol causes diabetics to have complications ?

I know many of you are going to say "its worse for diabetics because when they get drunk they forget to take insulin, make poor eating choices, or make an error in insulin."

I seriously want a good debate disregarding these types of answers, because even non-diabetics make poor choices, I guess if we made one it would spell higher consequences, but taking into consideration that we arent getting drunk to the point of inebriation, please share your findings.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I have nothing to offer on the subject of alcohol. I never liked the taste of alcohol and I do not drink alcoholic beverages. I have diabetic friends who tell me that alcohol can cause their blood sugar to drop so they have to test to avoid going too low. If drinking is done excessively they will have a build up of carbs that can then give them high blood sugar.

·
Registered
663 Posts
As far as to people who are not diabetic...I don't see it being any better or worse.
Untill they become drunk as I am not against people getting drunk as at that point they have low BG's even though they are not diabetic!!! ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
As far as to people who are not diabetic...I don't see it being any better or worse.
Drinking to excess is no good for anyone but I do binge occassionally,try to test when i get home,drink a pint of water etc.Its not good for diabetics but you have to have a life and the sure thing is we will all die of something.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm on Metformin, but my doc says one or two drinks a day is fine....especillay red wine for its anti-oxidant properties.

Now that drink less I drink better...i.e Instead of drinking cheap booze every day, I treat myself to a pricey bottle of wine once in a while or a high end Scotch...if i'm going to be drinking less, I may as well splurge when I do

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'm on Metformin, but my doc says one or two drinks a day is fine....especillay red wine for its anti-oxidant properties.

Now that drink less I drink better...i.e Instead of drinking cheap booze every day, I treat myself to a pricey bottle of wine once in a while or a high end Scotch...if i'm going to be drinking less, I may as well splurge when I do
I don't drink and I have nothing against someone who does. If you were using insulin, drinking would be discouraged. Alcohol can make your blood sugar low while using insulin. I was under the impression that alcohol converts to sugar in the body? Enjoy the good stuff!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I think what alcohol does is keep the liver occupied so it can't start secreteing glucose into the bloodstream - hence the possibility of lows. I'm not much of a drinker either, but I sure enjoy a good margarita when I can get a low-carb one! heheh!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I find that to drink is fine as long that you have it with some food and factor the lower insulin and enjoy. Also that whatever you drink has hidden carbs as the alcohol wheres off the glucose will rise. Often I have a shot of insulin at two hours after the last drink. (That if I remember :rolleyes:) So when you sober up your glucose is rising too. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't think I ever ran into lows while drinking but I generally had snacks or stuff to go with the drinks, I definitely got the post drinking highs.

These days I must becoming an old fuddy duddy, my frugal nature doesn't want to waste the money on some grog and my mind is generally to preoccupied with projects or tasks to want to stop for some ritual brain cell killin. Just kinda funny that way.

:ranger:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hey Stirling Student . . .

Welcome aboard! How about telling us more about yourself? We'd like to get better acquainted! You could start a thread over here: Click

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am new to here, but this is a topic that I have a GREAT deal of experience in...... You see, I am Martin & I am a recovered alcoholic.

I was sober over 3 1/2 years when I became a type 2 diabetic, thank God I quit drinking. I watched, years ago, a gentleman who was an alcoholic & a type 2 diabetic as well drink away first, both his feet, then both legs up to the knee, then both of them up to mid thigh. He is probably dead now, he could not quit drinking no matter how much of his body they amputated.

I am not against anyone drinking, that is thier choice, some people can drink safely, some can not.

Alcohol is a simple sugar & has carbs as well.

I would strongly urge any diabetic that drinks more then the maximim safe level of alcohol daily or binges to ask them selfs if perhaps they should not simply quit drinking at all, if they find they can not quit drinking then do as I did, see a doctor, tell the whole truth about your drinking to the Dr. & follow the Dr.'s advice as well as get into a long term recovery program.

Martin

I will say this, if a diabetic

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thank you for sharing that is definitely a valuable lesson for a lot of people out there. I know indirectly of a lot of diabetics who don't care about themselves enough to make the changes in their lifestyle to and prevent the complications. In most cases this leads to amputations and death. People need to remember that you can't start off and be perfectly in control you have to work at it and tighten the belt of time. But the most important part is to start and make it a habit.

On the topic of alcohol I don't know what it is but at the age of 29 I'm no longer that interested in alcohol. I know in my earlier 20s I was and drank quite a bit. I guess I just decided there are better places to apply myself and my money. I think the secret to quiting is disassociation/deidentification and replacing with a positive habit. For instance try to avoid making emotional connections to the habit, positive or negative. Hating something holds it just as close to you as loving something, so indifference in the goal. Then replace it with a positive goal, build on the positive and avoid focusing on the negative.

·
Registered
4 Posts
isisagate alcoholism is a disease. The worst thing about alcoholism is that one of the primary symptoms is a denial of a drinking problem.

Alcoholics do not just up & quit drinking, alcohoplism is a 3 part disease, it is physical, mental, & beleive it or not spiritual.

When an alcoholic has one drink they always want another, followed by another. This is the physical craving created by just one drink. When not drinking an alcoholic dwells upon a drink, the mental obsession, then of course there is spiritual side of it, an alcoholic has kind of a spiritual hole in them that at first drinking fills, but eventually it no longer fills it no matter how much they drink.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease, it never gets better as long as an alcoholic continues to drink, nor does it level off, it ALWAYS gets worse.

I can attest to all of the above... I lived it!!! I did not draw a sober breath the last 5 years I drank. I had to be medically detoxed, and now use AA to stay sober.

Now here is a neat thing I have found, I am using the same steps to control & accept my diabetes that I use to stay sober. If I had still been drinking when I found out I was diabetic more then likely I would not give a hoot about any of this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't drink and I have nothing against someone who does. If you were using insulin, drinking would be discouraged. Alcohol can make your blood sugar low while using insulin. I was under the impression that alcohol converts to sugar in the body? Enjoy the good stuff!
After 2 bouts with pancreatitis, the 2nd almost killed me, I'm done. It's just not worth it. Although sure had a couple good times behind it but there where just as many bad,

Big D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts