The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got type 2 diabeties in 2008 and was put on medication and all was well in 2010 things changed when i become stressed with homelessness when house i was renting sold. so i went from taking 1 diaformin 1000mg once a day to taking 2 this didnt work so the doctor added 1 gliclazide 30 mg this worked and in less then 3 months i lost 20kgs and my sugar levels were great 6 in the mornings up to a max of 12 at highest. then i got abit lazy in checking my sugar levels cause they were so good and i felt so good and then all of a sudden my weigh started coming back on and i went back to the doctor cause my sugar levels were back to 20 so he made me have 2 of the gliclazide tablets aday and this didnt work so i was made this year in may to taking 4 of them aday plus the 2 diaformins and started with the diabties educator which i had never been to before. when things didnt improve she decided to start me on the new drug byetta but i wasnt told to keep on the other tablets so i stoped them and they trialed me a month before she asked if i was still on the other medication, and i said no u didnt tell me to keep the tablets going. so the doctor came in and had a look at my results the last month and said ok go back on the diaformin twice a day but leave the others and see what happens. my sugar levels have been over 15 for 3 months now and when i added the tablets on friday just gone (2 days ago) my levels went over 20 which is what they were on friday while at the doctors. then on sat nite they were the highest i have ever seen at 3am sat morning they were 31 (hadnt eatten since 7pm) i started looking at something to eat that would lower them on saturday by just eatting tuna wholegrain sandwitche. the levels still stayed in the 20s and i was having trouble getting blood from any of my finger pricks i did, where i am normally a good bleeder with even a blunt needle. for tea last nite i ate alot of vegies and some meat and nothings lowered below 20 i went to bed at 3am and slepted in till 12.30pm and checked my level and did my needle and tablet and i was still 19 when i woke up. u see i aint a big eater and wont eat anything during the day except tea at nite then the next day with nothing to eat i still have high sugar levels. 3 months ago for the first time my vision was affected and i could barely read. 3 weeks later that returned to normal. but im so scared now i dont want to eat i want my sugar levels down. i spent friday a week ago in hospital cause i have a irregular heart beat have so since 2007 but all of a sudden it went haywire and was missing a beat every 15seconds and during them i couldnt breath this lasted 4 days where all i could do was lay in bed because if i got up i felt like i was gunna passout. i am going to see the heart doctor soon. hospital didnt think it was life threating. i have been having abbsesses one on my breast has been on and off now for 4 months. it has reached the size of a golfball or bigger and never heals properly. that was active on friday when i had the high reading of 31 at 3am. so here is my question what is a good meal to eat for the next few days that will help me lower my high sugar levels. im sick i have headaches and feel like i have been out drinking for days and have the hangover now. im mad at all the weight i have put back on and have been walking daily and so far have only shifted 2kgs. i live in a very stressful life i have 4 kids aged 12,16,18,24 the youngest is ADHD OD and my 16 has just got out of an abusive relationship and i have had to take out a retaining order on that guy cause he has threated to kill all of us. she is pregnant and isnt going to have it which has made him more nuts. and my 18 yr old im his adult carer and he has been threatened and wants to move out. which has left us with not having enough income in my house to live as we pay $460 a week rent on my penison and board from him and the 24 yr old daugther. we are desperate to move but are trapped with not being able to if we have to pay rent. so u can see that my life is very stressed and that the patton is with my diabettes is that when things go wrong in my life then my diabettes goes nuts too. im really scared and the doctors make appointments once a fortnite and i suffer though them days with high sugar levels. i was adopted and when i found my family when i was a teen i was told a uncle died at 42 of a heart attack and im almost that age. i worry im going to die and it feels like no one is listerning to me. thanks for reading and hope someone has some answers

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Sounds like you have a lot going on in your life right now. With diabetes you need to take control. Diabetes is a progressive disease and if you don't manage bgs day by day it will progress. With the bgs you posted I think you would benefit by starting insulin as soon as possible. I am surprised your doctor hasn't suggested it. As diabetics we really can't change all the stresses around us, but we can change the way we manage our disease. If you start insulin, long acting and fast acting at meals you will be able to get bgs down to a managable number. You need to keep yourself as healthy as possible so you can deal with life's other stressors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah they have said that that is the next step as was upping the byetta to 10mg. i just had another blood test on friday to see what has changed since the last blood test. this weekend has been the worst results i have ever had and im very depressed with having to wait another 2 weeks to tell the doctor and eduicater about it. my oldest daugther is on atkins and has said why dont i try that with her. was wondering if i should try that and see if that helps for now. thanks for replying

·
Registered
554 Posts
Anytime you cut down on carbs will help and Atkins may work very well for you.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Atkins has worked really well for me. I've lost 50 lbs on it and just that brought my blood sugars down to acceptable numbers. So, I'd say, eat as she does.

Good luck,

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Just want to add my echoes here!

Atkins, or any low-carb diet, can be very helpful. When I look for recipes or cookbooks, I look for "low-carb," not "diabetes."

And with those numbers, insulin sounds like a necessity. Can't do without the stuff, myself. It may take some dose adjustments before you get it right.

Can you call the doc/educator between visits? I had to do that a few times when I first started on insulin, because they start you off with the lowest possible dose. I was able to get new dosage recommendations via phone or email.

In fact, with such high numbers, I would call them now, if that's at all possible.

Best vibes headed your way. Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i decided last nite to try eatting cinnamon half a teaspoon 3 times aday :( yuk but i did get my levels down to 15 last nite. made myself some home made chicken vegie soup and only ate that kepted the carbs down to as low as i could.... gee what a suprise its 11.44am and i just checked my levels and im 21.4 and havent eatten a thing since 10pm last nite thats what im trying to tell people is even a fast of 13 hrs and im still way high i checked my levels last nite at midnite and i was 15 i sweated so much like every nite that i wake in a pool of sweat. i toss and turn and up and down to the toilet all nite and then wake like i have a hangover and thats why i dont eat cause im sick and the thought of food makes me throw up

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
u see i aint a big eater and wont eat anything during the day except tea at nite then the next day with nothing to eat i still have high sugar levels. ..... but im so scared now i dont want to eat i want my sugar levels down.
The problem with not eating is that your liver thinks you're starving and is busy pumping glucose into your system without your consent. Your best food strategy at this point is to eat a little every few hours, but minimal carbs.

Good foods for you to eat are meats (not fried in batter though), cheese, eggs, nuts, fish, non-starchy veggies. Foods to avoid are bread, grains of any kind, cereals, fruit, potatoes, pasta, rice, and any sugar or honey obviously. There is time to sort out what your body can handle and what it can't, but for right now that's what I would do. Actually, it's what I do do :)

Reactions: 1970clea

·
Registered
322 Posts
i agree with moon. not eating is not the ticket to reducing your BG readings. eating low carb meals with low carb snacks during the day will help keep your liver from dumping sugar into your system. it will also help keep your metabolism up so that you will burn calories too.
all starving does is make you hungry and raise your blood sugars. when i first heard this it sounded funny, i have to eat to lose weight and to keep my BG numbers down., but my fasting numbers in the morning at below 100 almost all the time now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i went back to the doctor yesterday and things are not good they have put me on to insulin and something else mixed (sorry i put it in chemist and they didnt have it in stock till this morning so i dont no the name of it) starting me on 6mils 2 times aday to see it that helps. also want to ref me to a specalist because there wondering now what else mite be going on. now im like what does that mean:( is there any other illnesses that i could have that could cause my exteme sugar readings ive had 3 31.1 always that same reading. and mostly normal seems to be 22.0 and lowest i have been able to get it to in 2 weeks has been 18.0 so ive been so tired sick and thinking about moving to the toilet to live with the garden hose in the window to keep me drinking as that seems to have become a nightmare because i almost make myself vomit with the amounts of water i drinking trying to stop making my mouth feeling like its not seen water in 3 days all the time.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Are you having trouble drinking water because you are not feeling well? If so, would it work for you if you drank some of the broth from your veggie soup that you made? My Mum used to give that to me when my stomach was upset as a child.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Feeling thirsty was a symptom that I had before I was diagnosed with diabetes. My Doctor said the thirsty feeling was because my blood sugar was so high.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
With the numbers you're dealing with, the water-gulping and bathroom-going are -- unfortunately -- to be expected.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the insulin and new meds work for you. You may need to increase your insulin doses over the first few weeks before you get the full effect. Once it's right, the results can be dramatic! If you see little change, or slow change, you might want to phone your doc for advice on increasing your doses safely.

Once you get the dose right and your levels start to come down, the vicious water-drinking cycle should slow down, then stop. You may feel weird otherwise for awhile as your body adjusts to normal levels. After that, things should start to feel Real Good.

Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i cant wait to start feeling good but i have to be careful as the eduicator says my low mite be more like 15 to 18 and send me into shock as i have been out before and started sweating shaking and feeling like i cant move my legs and feeling like im gunna pass out and this urgent feeling of somethings not right so i rush to get home and check my sugar levels and there still around 15 to 18 in the past 4 months. what i have also noticed new is that my body feels like its buzzing thats really strange lol i feel like if i went near a lamp it mite turn on lol by me. i have had a lump in my arm pit thats been there since jan and is as long as a small half size lighter that keeps going up in size and so painful i cant close my arm agaist it till i get some pus out of it but it never gets small then the size i said as its rock hard. i also have a absesse on the same side in my left boob its still a hard lump even when i get that settled with aintbodics but wont go away either. each time i have had huge sugar readings at the 31.1 thats been up to the size of the golfball and i have been so sick till i get it to go down but its like 4 chambers and i can only ever get to 2 to lance. while on meds for it i get it to settle but not fully clear up. my reading is now 27.2 am about to go get the insulin from chemist so hope thats gunna work tonite.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok afther a long day spent at the police station (part of my stress and wont go in to it but it involes my 16 yr old daugther and her ex and a restraining order thats been breached) my sugars went from 27.3 to 18.3 before i had dinner at 8pm because of the cops thing so between 3pm when it was 27.3 it droped. i made dinner and did my first injection just before i ate tea. the thing i have noticed is my taste in my mouth has a sour taste now but for once i dont have a fuzzy feeling in my head, almost like i feel clearer. i have been put on novomix 30 and starting on the 6mils morning and nite.when i checked my sugar levels about half an hour after and they had only risen to 19.9 from 18.3. i had a pasta dish because i was scared what was gunna happen when i took this new drug. im on my own here most of the time so i got my daugther to sit with me a while before and after i injected myself will post what my readings are later. fingers crossed this lowers my blood sugar to under 15 for the first time in months.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
god whats happening i just checked my sugar levels and im now 2hrs 30mins from eatting and the level is 30.4 does that mean the insulin isnt working now

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Eating a pasta dish will make your blood sugar go higher than usual. Pasta, rice and potatoes do this for many people with diabetes. It does not mean you can never eat these foods again. It means that you need to try smaller amounts of them until your blood sugar becomes better. With the high numbers you are having you might want to talk to your doctor as soon as possible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Eating a pasta dish will make your blood sugar go higher than usual. Pasta, rice and potatoes do this for many people with diabetes. It does not mean you can never eat these foods again. It means that you need to try smaller amounts of them until your blood sugar becomes better. With the high numbers you are having you might want to talk to your doctor as soon as possible.
thanks for that ill see how i go tommorrow

1 - 20 of 25 Posts