The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always enjoyed things like mashed rutabaga, boiled cabbage, steamed broccoli and cauliflower. What I am wondering is, can I eat pretty much as large a portion as I want of these veggies, or do I still need to stick to 1 cup portions or whatever the portion size is? I am finding that without potatoes, rice or pasta with a meal, if I can increase portion sizes of these veggies, it will help me to fill up as well as still lose some weight.

Any input out there?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm, I guess I just assumed that because veggies are a really good thing without smearing them with a lot of butter or salt, that they would be the way to go.

I guess I'll need to work on not only no carbs, but also on small portions of what I can have.......*sigh*

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I don't worry about portion sizes of veggies because it's hard for me to OD on them - and seem to be able to eat sizeable portions without any effect on my blood sugar.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm hoping that will be the same case for me. I won't be doing any testing at least until I see my doc tomorrow. I was handed a prescription for Metformin in the ER last week and sent on my way and told to see my doctor. The first appointment I can get is tomorrow afternoon, so that will tell the tale.

At this point my doc has no idea about any of this until I spill it for him tomorrow. Tomorrow is going to be a sorry day, I'm afraid.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Tomorrow is going to be a sorry day, I'm afraid.
Except you'll be (hopefully) getting a meter and will stop flying blind. It's so much easier when we are in control vs the diabetes.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I felt chastised when I went in, in DKA ... but it was me, not the doc!

Make sure you get enough test strips! Explain, too, you will not need so many for long, but you want to test specific food items.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
As other have said the only way to know is to test. I have spiked on a huge lettuce salad before. Usually the way digestion works, if you overeat portions the gut produces certain hormones that spike bg. So portion control is important. I find on low carb increasing the fat at a meal is the best way to feel full on less carbs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, this is probably a really dumb question but..........if you are trying to decrease your carbs and you increase the fat, does that not defeat the purpose of trying to lose some weight?

Please keep in mind, this is all new to me and I'm feeling like a really slow learner at this point.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, so I take from that if I want my weight stable I don't have to really limit my fats, but if I need to lose weight, I need to limit my fats? I need to lose about 20 pounds which I've been wanting to do but haven't really made the effort until now.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Okay, so I take from that if I want my weight stable I don't have to really limit my fats, but if I need to lose weight, I need to limit my fats? I need to lose about 20 pounds which I've been wanting to do but haven't really made the effort until now.
Uhhhm, not sure. I would try unlimited fats, and calories, first. Some people lose a LOT just by limiting carbs.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I too, can testify to weight loss without limiting fats. I eat pretty strictly low-carb, but metformin curbs my appetite too, and every little bit helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am finding the metformin supresses my appetite as well. I sometimes have to push myself to eat. I find my hardest time of day is mid-afternoon. I work from home and mid-afternoon was always my snack time, but it was always the time of day I was really sleepy and drained. Then a second wind would kick in after supper. Hmmm, maybe it should have told me something, lol. I'm working on the mid-afternoon snack thing and in time hopefully I will have it all figured out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts