The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,
just wondered if this was just me or has anyone else encountered a similar reaction, and, if so how did you deal with it.

I have had my ears pierced since the age of 10 (21 years) and aside from a slight nickel allergy which means i have to wear silver / gold earrings to avoid irritation, i have had no problems at all. However my left ear only is not happy wearing an earring at the moment. every time i put one in after thinking its better (no pain or swelling at the time) it starts to swell and get painful again until I take the earring out. I have tried the earring in my right ear to see if there was a problem, have disinfected and used germolene on the area before and after and am just wondering is this related to the newly diagnosed diabetes and insulin injections or am i just wierd?! any help or advice wouldbe greatly appreciated, my earrings remind me of my grandad as they were a gift from him and i really dont want to have to take them out for good. Thanks everyone and hope you all had a great Easter weekend:)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hmmm . . . odd that your right ear isn't affected. Can you give it a little longer healing time without the risk of it growing closed? This isn't anything I have experience with, so I'm gonna move on outta the way for others to comment!

Good to see you again, Adele!

take care & be well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shanny - good to see you too:)

I know its very strange just being one ear?! In fact am sure the right ear used to be the least tolerant. Will leave out for a couple more days and see what happens hey. Thanks for replying:) be happy

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Good morning,
just wondered if this was just me or has anyone else encountered a similar reaction, and, if so how did you deal with it.

I have had my ears pierced since the age of 10 (21 years) and aside from a slight nickel allergy which means i have to wear silver / gold earrings to avoid irritation, i have had no problems at all. However my left ear only is not happy wearing an earring at the moment. every time i put one in after thinking its better (no pain or swelling at the time) it starts to swell and get painful again until I take the earring out. I have tried the earring in my right ear to see if there was a problem, have disinfected and used germolene on the area before and after and am just wondering is this related to the newly diagnosed diabetes and insulin injections or am i just wierd?! any help or advice wouldbe greatly appreciated, my earrings remind me of my grandad as they were a gift from him and i really dont want to have to take them out for good. Thanks everyone and hope you all had a great Easter weekend:)
I had allergy testing done many years ago and I am extremely allergic to nickel sulfate. I can not wear any earrings except 14K gold. If I want to wear silver, then I have to stick with white 14K gold. It sounds like your allergy to nickel may be more serious than you think. I don't think it has anything to do with starting insulin injections. Even 14K gold can still cause your ears to become sensitive and you probably need to let your ear heal before trying to wear the earrings. I am so allergic that I can not wear anything but 14K gold on my wrist, fingers, neck and ears. Get tested if you have the opportunity. Have a good day!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good morning,

yeah thats really strange. Never heard of that happening to anyone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts