The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Does anyone have any experience with Allulose? It is a sweetener but not a sugar alcohol. I think it's made from fructose, I don't think that's good.
I'm trying to talk myself down from buying some chocolate chips made with Allulose. :devil:

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I ran across this as an ingredient in a recipe just a few days ago. Looked it up. What stopped me from wanting to try it was that it can cause gastro distress - same kind of thing that malatol and it's kind do. Definitely a deal breaker for me.

·
Super Moderator
9,634 Posts
I have no personal experience with it and don't know much about it. I've read it is one of several sugars that make up what we call sugar and that it is naturally occurring but in very small quantities in dried fruits (ie raisins and figs) and molasses and maple syrup. One website I saw mentioned over 56 grams in a day could cause digestive issues, but I'm sure the YMMV rule applies. Another say a couple of producers use non-GMO corn for their source. Another website says a new company has found a new method of mass production of it from sugar beets. They don't say how how they do it but that is what I'd be concerned about initially.

·
Super Moderator
9,634 Posts
Here is an article about allulose as a sugar substitute from Dr. Peter Attia. If he says is OK, it must be.

Reactions: etherea

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you great article mbuster! I plan to try it - hope I can find it. I had disturbing neuropathy several years ago and endro said "Diabetics get this!" and offered me nerve meds (NO!) So I stopped all fake sugars for 2 months and the Neuropathy totally went away! I was shocked that diabetic studies didn't explore why many diabetics get this...perhaps because that use fake sugar(?) I slowly started using only Stevia and alcohol sugars and still No Neuropathy! YAY!

·
Super Moderator
9,634 Posts
Thank you great article mbuster! I plan to try it - hope I can find it. I had disturbing neuropathy several years ago and endro said "Diabetics get this!" and offered me nerve meds (NO!) So I stopped all fake sugars for 2 months and the Neuropathy totally went away! I was shocked that diabetic studies didn't explore why many diabetics get this...perhaps because that use fake sugar(?) I slowly started using only Stevia and alcohol sugars and still No Neuropathy! YAY!
Congrats on losing the neuropathy!!! High BG does cause nerve damage and stopping the sugar intake is a good thing. Keeping your blood sugars down should help keep the neuropathy away. Hope the allulose brings back all the great tastes you were enjoying with the sugar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts