The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a book that said Almond flour is low carb high fat and a good substitute for regualr for baking.

has anyone had any experiences with this. ? I'm wondering if it would spike my sugar. I miss baking.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Prob'ly not, Kim . . . most of us use it quite a lot. Click over to our recipes board & you'll find scads of uses for almond flour. But you can't just swap out the regular wheat flour for almond - it's a whole different way of baking.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Almond flour requires some type of binder to hold it together, wheat glutien, xanthum gum, pysillum, etc

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have been using Almond flour for many years as a sub for flour. I make cookies, muffins, breads and bagels with it. I usually mix it with flaxseed or coconut flour for the best results. When you first start using it sometimes you have to experiment a little to get the right consistency. Luckily MCS does a lot of the experimenting for us. Check out his recipes in the Recipe forum. Almond Flour never spikes me and often will lower my bgs.

·
Registered
741 Posts
ditto....no problems at all

I just tried Optimist's Crackers with home made Brazil Nut flour...apparently they're 75% lower in carbs...they were on special so I bought some...worked a treat!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Don't forget it's easy to make your own almond flour in a food processor, just buy the almonds in bulk and whirl them up! I am looking forward to trying it in my banana bread recipe.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Don't forget it's easy to make your own almond flour in a food processor, just buy the almonds in bulk and whirl them up! I am looking forward to trying it in my banana bread recipe.
Hey Tiger - I'm going to take this thread off topic for a sec and welcome you to our cozy little forum! I've been following you around for the last hour & haven't had a good chance to greet you, so this is it! :D Hello & welcome aboard!

Okay - :focus:

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Hey Tiger - I'm going to take this thread off topic for a sec and welcome you to our cozy little forum! I've been following you around for the last hour & haven't had a good chance to greet you, so this is it! :D Hello & welcome aboard!

Okay - :focus:
Thank you so very much! :) I am so excited to see that there's an entire section for recipes!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Kimberly, I use a lot of almond flour. I also use unsweetened almond milk, which is very low carb and low calorie. I add 4 to 5 pkts. of sweetener to the container so I can drink it by the glass, and it can be used in cooking and baking.

·
Registered
156 Posts
DW makes some great muffins with almond flour. I don't use it much; I find it oes raise my BGs. Thare are carbs in almonds.

I use coconut flour some. I make pizza with it. Awesome stuff!

·
Registered
206 Posts
awesome!

This is one of the few things that really doesn't cause much if any blood sugar spike for me. It makes awesome pie crust, pancakes, etc.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I read a book that said Almond flour is low carb high fat and a good substitute for regualr for baking.

has anyone had any experiences with this. ? I'm wondering if it would spike my sugar. I miss baking.
Almond flour has 4 to 6 grams of carbohydrate per quarter cup, all purpose flour has 23. I make pancakes with it.

-Lloyd

1 - 15 of 15 Posts