The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, there was no white flour or sugar in it at all. I used xylitol for the sweetener and half buckwheat, half whole wheat flours. I drained and rinsed the canned peaches, to get rid of the sugar syrup on them. It's not even very good. The version with all whole wheat flour is better tasting, and I suspect it doesn't affect my blood sugar much more than this version. Only time and testing will tell the story.

Time and testing: Had a piece for breakfast, with the cream cheese. 1.5 hours later, my blood sugar was 115.
All this experimenting gets tiring after awhile, doesn't it? And it's amazing that each of us react so differently to the same foods. I finally bought some almond flour so I could have some pancakes once in awhile. I used this recipe and they came out GREAT! OMG they were good! And only 1 carb per pancake (so I had 4!). The sugar free syrup is 10 carbs (sugar alcohols) per ¼ cup, so I think I'm going to get some DaVince syrup next time.

· Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Diana, you inspired me, so I made these tonight with coconut oil as the fat and I cut the sweetener to about 1t. and added some soda, about 1/4 t. and they were divine! Plus, it let me get my Coconut oil in. I ate only 2 and have 2 more to have for b'fast tomorrow. I had a couple of slices of bacon with them. I also buttered them.

I used another brand of sf syrup on them and it was absolutely Yummy!

Now, tell us about that plate you pictured!

Thanks for a great recipe. I'm not a pancake fan, but these are super!
I just looked it up thanks to everyone's inquiries. It is a set that my Mother gave me a few years ago...guess she didn't care for it or something. It's called Floral Mist by Fairfield but the one in the photo doesn't have a butterfly like mine (which you can't see because of the pancakes). Here's the webpage: FAIRFIELD FLORAL MIST at Replacements, Ltd

· Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I store mine in the freezer, but keep some in an airtight container in the pantry. However, the Honeyville one breaks up so easily. This morning I took a cup right from the freezer, and just broke it up in my hands. The Bob's clumped a lot.

Lemme warn you, Pat - once you use the Honeyville you'll be sold! I do like Bob's for some cookies when I want a denser texture, but for things like pancakes, cakes and almond meal bread ... oh la la.
Hmmm...hadn't seen the Honeyville stuff. It's cheaper than Bob's (per pound). Did you get the regular or blanched almond flour?

· Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm really glad so many of you are loving the almond flour pancakes, but I can't take the credit for creating the recipe, only for finding it! :) Low-Carb Almond Meal Pancakes - Pancake Recipe with Almond Meal or Almond Flour and it's always good to read the comments on each recipe.

For any new people here, the website above is like a bible to many of us! :) Be sure and sign up for Laura Dolson's newsletter too!

And now, for your pleasure....almond flour waffles! I don't have a waffle iron, but they sure look good! Almond Flour Waffles Recipe - Allrecipes.com

· Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I know, older thread but since I tried it tonight ( I'm bacheloring it this weekend as BH is visiting her family for baby shower) thought I'd post my results. Ate the whole recipe plus three strips of baked bacon covered in walden farms pancake syrup and a couple tbsp butter and washed down with 1/2 pint heavy cream.

Cakes were a little thinner than I would like but flavor was great!
84 pre
97 one hour
93 two hour.

I'll take those all the way to the bank!
Sent from my iPhone
David, you don't have to follow the exact recipe. If you want thicker batter, use more almond meal.... now you've tripped my pancake trigger for this morning! Thanks! :love: Also, I was happy to find that Smucker's makes a sugar free syrup with Splenda.

· Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I went to local Dutch Country market which carries a lot of the more unusual flours and so on that regular stores don't carry. Came home with spelt flour and oat flour that I put in the freezer to store. They had almond flour but it seemed pretty high priced to me. Where do you all get your almond flour? Also where do you get psyllum (sp?) husks? Thinking about making the Oopsie bread, and some of the other goodies you all are tempting me with :)
I've been buying all my low carb stuff from Netrition for years so I finally became an affiliate (I make a little bit on orders if you go through the link on my page Menopause Weight gain, Low Carb Eating, Menopause Symptoms) There's an ad at the bottom of the left column that runs different products, but if you click on it and get to the netrition site, then just put the product you want in the search box. I just looked and the almond flour is on sale. Also, they have the psyllum husks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.