The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if almond or hazelnut flour can be substituted for unbleached flour in a recipe for pancakes? I have a recipe for said pancakes that uses bran bud cereal, wheat germ, and unbleached flour among other ingredients. I would like to try and lower the carb count - hence lower the amount of insulin required. Any ideas??

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When I make pancakes I mix vanilla whey powder with flaxseed meals. I don't see why you couldn't sub in almond flour. Most low carb recipes are born with just experimenting.

·
Registered
741 Posts
most of the alternatives to wheat flour seem like they need more help to rise and need more liquid...I get a reasonable result substituting 1/2 LSA and 1/2 whey protein Isolate....or almond flour with baking powder...but usually it needs a few eggs whites to get a decent rise

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jwags - if the recipe calls for 1 cup of unbleached flour, would you substitute the whey powder and flaxseed equally to make 1 cup? Sorry if the question is silly, but I'm not what you call a 'brave' cook. I try hard, but sometimes even with a recipe I will have a big flop! My OH is the one that is brave ...... to eat my cooking :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
d33na,

Could you explain what LSA is and where do you buy it? Can it be used for other things also?

·
Registered
741 Posts
LSA is a mix of Linseed (flax) Sunflour and Almond in the ratio of 3:2:1

In Australia Ive seen it in Health food shops and now in supermarkets...it is a bit nice than flax on its own...and therefore has more carbs lol....but no reason why you cant mix and nut flour/meal with flax...its just more expensive and more carbs....so thats why I mix it with Whey protein isolate cause the one I use has hardly any carbs...I really think its a bit of 'fingers crossed' lol...my family are used to my experiments lol....good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts