The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done ordering my blanched almond flour. While I was there I also ordered some peanut flour and some almond butter and I just could not resist the marzipan. The marzipan has sugar in the fruit shapes that they come in. I will keep the marzipan for special occasions and will only eat 1 peice at a time. :) Marzipan is my favorite candy...:becky: I ordered from NutsOnline | Premium Bulk & Wholesale Nuts, Dried Fruits & Gift Baskets. This company makes some very fine products and their shipping is lightening fast.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I haven't used the blanched almond flour yet. I have been subbing the almond meal from Trader Joes. I also buy raw almond butter from Trader joes. I think it is a staple in my diet. I use it in everything and my bgs love it better than peanut butter. Good Luck with all your LC creations.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't used the blanched almond flour yet. I have been subbing the almond meal from Trader Joes. I also buy raw almond butter from Trader joes. I think it is a staple in my diet. I use it in everything and my bgs love it better than peanut butter. Good Luck with all your LC creations.
I got an email that my products were shipped today! I should have my goodies by Friday. :happy::whoo:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Almond Flour

I found this to be some interesting information regarding almond flour.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I tried to make almond flour once and ended up with almond butter. So if you do it yourself make sure you use the pulse button on your food processer. Some of my recipes call for blanched almond flour which is really expensive. I'm thinking about buying blanched almonds and making my own flour. The trader joes almond meal has the ground up skins in it, so it cooks up a little darker. It is about $3.99 per pound. So I think it is cheaper than buying the nuts.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I tried to make almond flour once and ended up with almond butter. So if you do it yourself make sure you use the pulse button on your food processer.
In addition to pulse, let it cool occasionally. I pulse for a few seconds then stir it myself a few seconds to help cool it, then repeat the process until I get the consistency I want.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking at some almonds today and just how much almonds do you need to make a cup of flour?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I was looking at some almonds today and just how much almonds do you need to make a cup of flour?
I never actually measured. I just dump almonds in my food processor, then dump the meal/flour in a plastic bag... I think It's pretty close to 1:1 ratio though...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never actually measured. I just dump almonds in my food processor, then dump the meal/flour in a plastic bag... I think It's pretty close to 1:1 ratio though...
Hmmm...that is not too bad, right now it is easier to buy it because I make a terrible mess in the kitchen and don't like to wash dishes either!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
That article you quoted says you get 4 1/2 cups of nut meal/flour from 1 pound of nuts. When I make a double batch of MCS's cookies I use at least 3 cups of almond meal. So depending on how expensive your nuts are you need to price it out, which is cheaper. If you can buy your nuts in bulk that is the cheapest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts