The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a minor problem with my lower legs and feet falling asleep if I sit too long. Doc says my circulation is fine, and I keep my bg low (low 90's to low 100's). I decided to take ALA, read an article about it which included a scientific study with real live humans. The article said Diabetics should take 800 mg per day in divided doses. I don't take any other meds or supplements at all. At Walmart they only had 200 mg pills, so I have been taking 2 pills 2 X day for the last 3 days. I take them with food. Yesterday and today about an hour after I took the last dose, my stomach started to hurt just a tiny bit, so both times I ate some cheese and it went away.

I wonder if I am taking too much per day or too much at one time. I know 3 days is a short time, and it might be my imagination, but I feel like it is already helping some, but I don't want it to wreck my stomach and don't want to take more than I should. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I use Insulow which contains 100mg R-ALA and 750mcg biotin in each capsule. Directions say take one capsule before meals for each 30-40g of carbohydrate, but I take it with my other meds - morning & night. So I'm not getting anywhere near 800mg daily, but I don't have a tummyache either . . . :cool:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I take 600 twice a day and it helps with neropathy. I too get a small stomach ache If I dont take it with food

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I have a question for all. I have some ALA on hand, but have gone into rebellion about taking pills period. At one time last summer, my endo had me taking about twenty a day and I just got sick of taking so many. Maybe I'm seriously wrong, but I know I need to take at least some. What would the minimum be besides a daily Centrum Silver?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I found info on ALA and it sounded really interesting for BG control. I asked the dietician at the diabetes center about it and she told me to go ahead and try iy and report back.

The NA-RALA form is best. It's more stable and Na-RALA is significantly more bioavailable than R-lipoic acid (RALA). I found the powder form on Amazon to be the lowest price. It can be very expensive to take 600-800 mg/day when you buy capsules. I bought a 50 gm bottle from Superior Nutraceuticals.

I take a small scoop (~300 mg) 3 times a day with food. It dissolves readily in a small amount of water and doesn't taste too bad, although I wash that down with another drink of plain water.

It really does seem to help keep my BG in control.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I take daily:
alpha lipoic acid 600 mg
r-lipoic acid 100 mg
biotin 5 mg
sometimes l-arginine 500 mg

This does nothing for my blood sugar but if I stop taking it my neurophathy gets worse.

Dunno but I heard somewhere that what is really happening is that my body is converting it to Omega-3 fat to compensate for my low Omega-3 levels.

ColaJim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts