The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doc said to lower my cholesterol to eat not so much high fat foods.:confused: to use low fat cheese etc. Use Half & half instead of heavy cream. Not so much bacon or high fat meats. Use less butter.

So thats what I did. I want to :boink: her in the eye. My ## have jumped up like crazy. This am 174.

Plus she put me on Lipitor 20gm.

I am on my way out to store to buy bacon, Heavy cream, some nice fatty steak . Lots of good high fat cheese. :p:D oh & some nuts..

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I am actually back to measuring my fats -- either by weight or volume -- in an attempt to cut back. I will give it a try, no idea if it will help!

Recently increased insulin use, and weight gain (like 4 - 5 lb) is prompting this. That, and the kind offer of a dietitian referral from my endo. I declined, stating, "because they hate low-carbers." He laughed.:) I need to modify something ... if I really am becoming insulin-dependent, and increased insulin is messing up my weight, I am in deep gradoo --I am in this for the long run!!!

I am giving it a month and if it does not help, will go back to unmeasured fats.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Doc said to lower my cholesterol to eat not so much high fat foods.:confused: to use low fat cheese etc. Use Half & half instead of heavy cream. Not so much bacon or high fat meats. Use less butter.

So thats what I did. I want to :boink: her in the eye. My ## have jumped up like crazy. This am 174.

Plus she put me on Lipitor 20gm.

I am on my way out to store to buy bacon, Heavy cream, some nice fatty steak . Lots of good high fat cheese. :p:D oh & some nuts..
In my experience, I have NEVER found any justification for reducing fats. Not for BG numbers, not for lipid numbers and not for weight control. For most of us, reducing fats over the last few decades is what got us here!

If you haven't watched the video by Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt please do so. The link is in the thread with "food revolution" in the title. My constant challenge is to get ENOUGH fat. If you need to lose more weight (I don't anymore), reduce carbs even more and/or reduce protein - especially if you are eating more than 15% of calories from protein. If that doesn't work, perhaps resort to "portion control", although I've never needed to do that and definitely don't like the idea.

Unless your Dr. is one of the handful world-wide who accept and understand the new science, you will not get good advice from health care professionals. All of their advice will only lead meds, more meds and insulin. (You might end there anyway, but following their advice will mean much MORE insulin and more difficult control.) If you want success, you are on your own.

Reactions: Carolina

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Doh, it's no fun to try what the doctor ordered and have it backfire in your face. It's fun in theory to say "hah! See that doctor? You have no idea what is what when it comes to nutrition" but it's not so much fun when it's your life...

My doctor doesn't give a hoot about lipids in women so I have no clue if my #'s have gotten better or worse. However I have found that more fat and less protein have helped with weight loss and feeling full. I still need to keep the calories under a certain amount so that I have to tap into my own body fat. I wish I could lose weight like I did when I first started!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Kind of makes you ask the questions, Whom does your doctor work for? Too many times the answer is not for you.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Kind of makes you ask the questions, Whom does your doctor work for? Too many times the answer is not for you.
I'm pretty sure my doctor works for the insurance company since that's who is writing the checks. Though she does get tons of freebies from the drug companies too...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts