The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I've rode the line for 20 something years, I'm now "officially" type 2 diabe

Since I was pregnant with my first child, 23 years ago, I've known that I was diabetic, in some form. Both of my grandmothers were diabetic, and it kind of follows, their daughters who have daughters tend to be diabetic. All of my female cousins that are connected by females are diabetic. So I already knew my day was coming. I'd like to say that I had spent the last 23 years preparing for this bombshell, but I didn't! I've always been a sugar addict! My baby sister and I shop together, and she always complains about everything I purchase. Out of $100.00 worth of groceries, I had half a ham, can of chicken, and hamburger helper for the chicken. The rest, well, you already know. So, I guess I'm asking if someone has any idea how I can "change my way"?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I come by it honest too, all the women on my father's side of the family with the exception of 1 aunt, how she escaped I'll never know.

The best things you can do at this point is changing your way of eating. It won't be the easiest thing but not the hardest either. A low carb diet (and I use that word lightly) along with good healthy fats will make a world of difference. Things to avoid would be rice, pasta, potatoes, oatmeal, breads, most beans (except green beans), sugary sweets, pizza, fruits with the exception of a few berries. What are excellent choices are meats, fish, eggs, avocados, green leafy veggies, olives, cheeses and many more I know I'm missing.

Do you have a meter to check your own blood sugar? It's important to test to know how well or not so well foods are for your body. Especially at first till you get used to your new way of eating. 1st thing in the morning (fasting) before each meal and 1 hour after the first bite and then again 2 hours after the first bite.

Have you been put on any medication?

Reactions: patpuckett

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome Donna! This is the best site on the web for those of us who need to control our sugars. The site www.bloodsugar101.com is the one that helped me the most. It's big but very accurate, written by a diabetic and serious researcher. I hope you are able to read it and come here often!

Good luck,

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Welcome Donna

You've come to a good place for help and encouragement in doing what it takes to take control of your diabetes. Most of us haven't any support at home, and don't know any diabetics who take their blood glucose (BG) levels seriously. But here you will be in good company - the diabetics on this forum are determined to gain and maintain low and stable BG in order to avoid complications.

The key to successful BG management is diet. What you eat has a direct impact on rising BG. The main culprit is carbohydrates. Eating high-carb (you know, "whole grains" and pasta, etc. etc.) as we've been taught is healthy, and eating low-fat (we've been told that fats are evil - which is inaccurate at best) - these things have contributed to the advancement of diabetes in we who have a malfunctioning metabolism.

www.bloodsugar101.com is, indeed, a great site. Do read the section "How To Lower Your Blood Sugar" which is a testing protocol that tells you right away if what you ate has spiked your BG too high - allowing you to make better choices the next time you eat. On this forum we call this "Eat to your meter". And it is the main thing we advocate that every diabetic do. And we know it works because it works for us and it'll work for you.

Do come often and read the threads - especially the intros of other new members. They can be very inspiring as one "watches" how the person goes from out-of-control BG to successfully maintaining near-normal BG levels. You can be one of them, too. Just stick with us.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Welcome Donna. You have been given some good reading references to read which is going to help you so much in getting your BG numbers under control. Also the post on these threads are so helpful and covers most all subjects you may have questions about like recipes, what's for dinner, exercise etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts