The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am used to be a big eater.. like 3 to 4 bowls of Rice every night at dinner time..

Now i dont take rice anymore... I had dinner (grill pork and salmon) around 3.5 hours ago and Guess what?

I am HUNGRY AGAIN!!

How do you all do with hunger ? esp I dont take rice anymore!

I am going crazy at these times of the night..

·
Registered
916 Posts
I to was hungry all the time. Doc said it was becuz My diabetes was so out of control. I went low carb.highfat & all that craving went away. I eat the foods that I am allowed to 'over eat' or I can have my fill. never in my wildest dreams did I think I could have 1/2 c of anything :eek::Cry: Now I am used to it . I have large salads. Large helping of the veggies I am allowed. I also eat 5 to 6 small meals or snacks all day long for the most part. Cheese, boiled eggs. Meats. chicken etc.

·
Registered
718 Posts
My food philosophy is this - eat when you're hungry and don't eat when you're not.

So, if I'm hungry, I eat!

Bacon is my usual go to for after dinner. Sometimes I add an apple or some cheddar. Load up on some raw veggies or a big salad. A handful of nuts. A square of dark chocolate. Berries and whipped heavy cream.

If you're hungry - eat! Just make sure it's something that's good for you.

Now that I've been off carbs (mostly) for a while, I don't get hungry like I used to. I don't crave foods really anymore either. So I am eating less as far as portions, though caloric intake is still high, probably around 2000, but I don't really measure. But, if I splurge and take in a lot of carbs one day, the next day I can feel it - I'm much more hungry and crave more carbs.

It's easy to trust my body now, and I don't eat until I feel hungry. Since I'm not on any medication, that's okay for me because there's no fear of lows. But if my body tells me it's hungry, you bet I eat something...usually something high in fat because that is more satisfying.

Reactions: JT.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I find fat to be the answer when I'm hungry too. Maybe add more fat? Or, take a spoon or two of coconut oil?
My cholesterol is bit high and I am on cholesterol meds.. So i guess coconut oil is a no for me? :(

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had around 180 grams of grill pork chop, 200 grams of salmon and lots of veg 5 hrs ago.. just 30 mins ago i had 3 crackers and 1 to 2 table spoon of low fat cottage cheese and a coffee with skim milk.. 30 mins after, i am hungry again!! its 12:10 am here..... Hungry!! grrr.... I think the meds i take Diamicron Mr 60mg is the thing that makes me hungry all the time...

·
Registered
718 Posts
My cholesterol is bit high and I am on cholesterol meds.. So i guess coconut oil is a no for me? :(
My cholesterol has gone down since eating more fat and adding coconut oil. Several others have seen the same result.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I know it seems like that but my ## fell like a rock with high fat. In fact I am going to go off my Statin/lipator.

I didn't opt for the co only becuz I cook with butter & Olive oil. plus its not in my food budget lol It is $15.+ in places around here. :eek:

·
Registered
916 Posts
skim milk... ditch this. LOW Fat ditch this..

Use heavy whipping cream. I haven't bought that in yrs. Then found out ,milk is full of sugar. Lactose.

I go for FULL fat everything. No milk at all. I use nothing but heavy cream. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So skim milk is a no no too.. ok roger!

hmm... I was born in Singapore and Singaporens do use a lot of coconut juices, oil for their cooking and coconut juices for their drinks.. And there was an article i read when I was young, a lot of people who died or suffer from heart problems is because of over eating and use of coconut and palm oil and their by and by products.

And now, I am confuse... I think it does good on HDL but it still does raise LDL too ?

I am Obese (shame to admit) and easy eats alot of carbs before.. now without carbs or very less carbs, even 4 weeks.. I find it very very hard esp this time of the nite.. Guess I will drink lots of water and go for an apple.. or just go to Mcdonals lol....

Thanks guys for the inputs.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I had around 180 grams of grill pork chop, 200 grams of salmon and lots of veg 5 hrs ago.. just 30 mins ago i had 3 crackers and 1 to 2 table spoon of low fat cottage cheese and a coffee with skim milk.. 30 mins after, i am hungry again!! its 12:10 am here..... Hungry!! grrr.... I think the meds i take Diamicron Mr 60mg is the thing that makes me hungry all the time...
It may take time for your body to get used to the new regimen. Ditch the carbs and low fat stuff... eats lots of protein, veggies, and fat! Also nuts and fruit if your blood sugar can handle them.

I know it's hard to break out of the "fat and cholesterol is the enemy" mindset, but it's NOT the enemy. If you think about how foods come from nature - they come with FAT. The human body and the brain need fatty acids and cholesterol. But they need the right kind. If it's been altered in a lab or factory - ditch it!

Science and research just over-complicate everything.

Olive oil, coconut oil, butter, bacon grease, tallow, lard (not hydrogenated)...avocados, nuts.... these are all good fats and the ones we are meant to eat as human beings. They have essential fatty acids our bodies need.

Have you ever taken a deep sniff of canola oil? It smells rancid - which is a survival mechanism - don't eat things that smell bad!

Coconut oil actually has medium-chain fatty acids which are really good for you.

Reactions: Patdart and JT.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Some links - and be sure to click on links in the articles too to get more details

Is Saturated Fat Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

Food Myths Debunked: All Saturated Fats Raise Blood Cholesterol / Nutrition / Healthy Eating

Coconut oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Early studies on the health effects of coconut oil used partially hydrogenated coconut oil, which creates trans fats, and not virgin coconut oil, which has a different health risk profile.[26]"

http://www.springerlink.com/content/5p1348696516v6rl/

"Experiments have shown that a high consumption of sucrose produces not only the wide range of abnormalities seen in CHD but also an increased blood concentration of insulin and cortisol. Since a low intake of sucrose confers many other health benefits, it is a more logical dietary recommendation than that of substituting polyunsaturated fat for saturated fat."

Reactions: JT.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some links - and be sure to click on links in the articles too to get more details

Is Saturated Fat Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

Food Myths Debunked: All Saturated Fats Raise Blood Cholesterol / Nutrition / Healthy Eating

Coconut oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Early studies on the health effects of coconut oil used partially hydrogenated coconut oil, which creates trans fats, and not virgin coconut oil, which has a different health risk profile.[26]"

SpringerLink - Lipids, Volume 13, Number 5

"Experiments have shown that a high consumption of sucrose produces not only the wide range of abnormalities seen in CHD but also an increased blood concentration of insulin and cortisol. Since a low intake of sucrose confers many other health benefits, it is a more logical dietary recommendation than that of substituting polyunsaturated fat for saturated fat."

Thanks wdmama, I will look at it!!

I just cooked myself scramble with 3 tiny farm eggs + cinnamon power and Olive butter or spread..

Now I am a happy man!! lol

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It may take time for your body to get used to the new regimen. Ditch the carbs and low fat stuff... eats lots of protein, veggies, and fat! Also nuts and fruit if your blood sugar can handle them.

I know it's hard to break out of the "fat and cholesterol is the enemy" mindset, but it's NOT the enemy. If you think about how foods come from nature - they come with FAT. The human body and the brain need fatty acids and cholesterol. But they need the right kind. If it's been altered in a lab or factory - ditch it!

Science and research just over-complicate everything.

Olive oil, coconut oil, butter, bacon grease, tallow, lard (not hydrogenated)...avocados, nuts.... these are all good fats and the ones we are meant to eat as human beings. They have essential fatty acids our bodies need.

Have you ever taken a deep sniff of canola oil? It smells rancid - which is a survival mechanism - don't eat things that smell bad!

Coconut oil actually has medium-chain fatty acids which are really good for you.

Wow! The past few weeks I been buying alot of low fat this low fat that.. I guess I was blind by the marketing of foods industry.. I shall starts eating more GOOD fats tomorrow...

Never knew about all these till you and the rest mentioned :)

Thanks For the information!!

Which one is better? Olive oil or Extra Virgin olive oil?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I myself am a bit concerned about too much good fat too since I have cholesterol and high triglycerides. I will see how this all fares for me when I have my next blood drawn at the end of November.

·
Registered
718 Posts
All I can say is experiment.

Is the low fat and medication doing anything for you? Or are your numbers still high?

If so, would it really hurt to try high fat and no medication for a couple months to see if it makes a difference?

Then if it does, you have your answer.

I'm not sure how long it takes for high fat to affect cholesterol...but I assume 3 months would be a good trial. I don't have mine drawn regularly. I had it done in June, and will have it again in a couple months I suspect because she wanted to repeat the blood tests in 6 months, so we'll see then.

But three months in the grand scheme of things isn't such a long time and if it doesn't work, then you can always go back to low fat and medication.

There is a lot of information out there that shows high glucose and carb intake is more closely related to high cholesterol than fat intake.

You don't have to take our advice if you're uncomfortable with it... we're just sharing what has worked for a lot of us here - which is contrary to what any doctor would have you believe.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I been Diagnose 3 weeks ago for Type 2 and I am learning everyday alot.. Not sure if I am doing the right thing..

I am on Diamircon MR 60 mg Morning and nite. Can someone show me some lights in my Sugar level log? Screenshot by Lightshot

·
Registered
718 Posts
I been Diagnose 3 weeks ago for Type 2 and I am learning everyday alot.. Not sure if I am doing the right thing..

I am on Diamircon MR 60 mg Morning and nite. Can someone show me some lights in my Sugar level log? Screenshot by Lightshot
Are you only testing before you eat?

You should be testing at one or two hours after you eat to see how the food you eat is affecting you. Most people spike around one hour, so that's why you test then, to see how high you are going.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are you only testing before you eat?

You should be testing at one or two hours after you eat to see how the food you eat is affecting you. Most people spike around one hour, so that's why you test then, to see how high you are going.
My dr told me to test before I eat, he said 3 times a day.. I follow but when I start reading some of the forum members test it after food, so the past 2 days I try to do more test that before...

And thats why the readings shows I test before I eat except the past 2 days..

I think the testing 2 hrs after eating is good in a way so that I know what food will shoot up my BS and thats where i am going to remove that particular food in my diet.

PS: learning something new every min !! :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts