Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!
41 - 60 of 78 Posts
I do about 40 carbs a day and about 2000 calories. I make sure to include about 20 grams of fat at each meal or snack. Coconut Oil is my major fat and I incorperate it into cookies , muffins and most of my meals. It does keep you full. Try making a batch of cookies using almond flour and CO. Anytime you are hungry grab a few cookies. I make a double batch about once a week. I also make waffles using whey powder instead of flour. They make great snacks and rarely spike me. Check out Laura Dolson's website, she has all sorts of great recipes most under 3 carbs. She has several pumpkin recipes
Low Carb Diets at About.com - Atkins South Beach and More Low Carb Diets If you cut calories too much your metabolism will slow down, you don't want that.

Vicky,

I've never used almond flour before and not sure where I'd even get it. Could flax meal be used as a substitute?
almond flour and flax meal are quite different, I find. Some things bake well with one, but not with the other... it depends on the recipe.

You can buy almond meal online (pretty inexpensive at sites like Netrition, etc.) but I tend to make my own.

I used to throw whole almonds in my food processor, (I now normally use my vitamix) and do short pulses. If you go too fast, too long, it becomes almond butter...

You can make it with whole almonds, (rough meal) or with peeled/skinless almonds and make a fine blanched meal. I prefer it with whole almonds with the skin, it's by far the least expensive.

I wouldn't substitute flax meal for almond meal. I buy my almond meal at Trader Joes.. much cheaper than anywhere else.. cheaper than whole almonds. I think 3.99 per pound and worth it, I use it for cookies, carrot cake, crackers. I'd have a hard time getting by without it.

Discussion starter · #44 ·
I wouldn't substitute flax meal for almond meal. I buy my almond meal at Trader Joes.. much cheaper than anywhere else.. cheaper than whole almonds. I think 3.99 per pound and worth it, I use it for cookies, carrot cake, crackers. I'd have a hard time getting by without it.
Too bad we don't have Trader Joe's around these parts....

Assuming you're figuring the carbs accurately, 20 carbs is way too little for a whole day. In my opinion, it's too little even if you were to stay in bed all day. I think it is motivated by the typical "gloom & doom" talk that is so prevalent in diabetes classes.

Discussion starter · #48 ·
Assuming you're figuring the carbs accurately, 20 carbs is way too little for a whole day. In my opinion, it's too little even if you were to stay in bed all day. I think it is motivated by the typical "gloom & doom" talk that is so prevalent in diabetes classes.
20-30 carbs a day is the only thing keeping my sugar down, and even then I still have to exercise 30 minutes after each meal, otherwise it soars.

Discussion starter · #50 ·
Breakfast = 6 g, Lunch = 12 g, and dinner = 12 g.
Ah, good to know. One of the things I was told in diabetes class is that sugar is sugar, refined or natural, and that it takes its effect on blood at the same rate. I noticed that my 6 grams of English muffin this morning (one quarter) shot me up to a 145 at my two hour reading. I can't imagine what it would read if I did more than 6 carbs.

I had my first diabetes education class today and the instructor and most of the class had a lot to say about my diet - mostly negative.

I told the class that I severely limited my carbs the moment I got dx'ed and that I'm only taking in about 1000 calories and less than 20 carbs a day. They were all horrified and said I'm being too obsessive and radical about it. I don't know what to think, really. My first instinct, after everything I've learned through this forum, is just to think that they're all just ADA-hypnotized, but the reality is I'm so unbelievably hungry ALL THE TIME to the point of tears, but I'm trying to adopt a new attitude towards food so I try to just drink water to get through the pangs.

I do know that the way I'm doing things now is keeping my sugar mostly in check - under 140 - and I've dropped 10 pounds in just 4 weeks, but I am STARVING. I'm afraid to add any extra carbs though for fear of losing a foot someday, and I don't know what else to do to feel full.

Am I freaking out for no reason? I'm so confused... :confused:
I do not think that you are confused. You need to think positive about yourself. You should not be feeling starved. I am sorry that you had a bad experience with a support group. They are to "support" you, not tear you down. I would tell them that they are going about their support group the wrong way.

Have you asked your doctor how many calories you should eat each day? You are eating to few calories. That is why you are starving. I go by the Glycemic Index diet. It is on the internet. There are a lot of foods that you can eat without raising your carbs or your BG.

Are you a new diabetic? When I was first diagnosed, I was confused as well.

Ruth

Rosie for me starch is far faster than sucrose ... I think I may have extra copies of the amylase gene, so I make more amylase -- the enzyme that digests starch into glucose. Even whole grain, low-glycemic index stuff goes WHAM! on me -- including peanut butter! There is an article about that in PubMed somewhere ...

I was told (when I thought I was T2) that this may improve over time, but it really did not.

Ah, good to know. One of the things I was told in diabetes class is that sugar is sugar, refined or natural, and that it takes its effect on blood at the same rate. I noticed that my 6 grams of English muffin this morning (one quarter) shot me up to a 145 at my two hour reading. I can't imagine what it would read if I did more than 6 carbs.
Your still eating that muffin? 145 is too damn high 2hrs later

Rosie for me starch is far faster than sucrose ... I think I may have extra copies of the amylase gene, so I make more amylase -- the enzyme that digests starch into glucose. Even whole grain, low-glycemic index stuff goes WHAM! on me -- including peanut butter! There is an article about that in PubMed somewhere ...

I was told (when I thought I was T2) that this may improve over time, but it really did not.
I'm in the same boat. Anything over 6g and kablooey! (And sometimes not even that much.)

I can take insulin to cover, but results are still unpredictable. Plus, I want to lose weight, not gain it, let alone use that much force on my body.

So I keep to extra-low-carb most of the time.

Reactions: foxl
Discussion starter · #56 ·
I'm in the same boat. Anything over 6g and kablooey! (And sometimes not even that much.)

I can take insulin to cover, but results are still unpredictable. Plus, I want to lose weight, not gain it, let alone use that much force on my body.

So I keep to extra-low-carb most of the time.
Isn't that crazy - just 6 little grams? I don't know how some people can eat 50 grams at one sitting and not get much of a spike. Meds, I suppose. Interesting though, my teensy bit of a muffin will spike me up but the pudding that I make now using cream instead of milk is also labeled as 6 grams but I don't get a radical spike from it....

I am tellin ya, it's the STARCH! :-D
High fat low carb.

Starvation is not a solution. You have to feed your body, but sugar will go into fat and cause a whole bunch of complications including heart disease. There is far more evidence that sugar causes modern diseases than fats. There is virtually no evidence that saturated fat is bad for us. None! Drop the sugars and up the fats.

Isn't that crazy - just 6 little grams? I don't know how some people can eat 50 grams at one sitting and not get much of a spike. Meds, I suppose. Interesting though, my teensy bit of a muffin will spike me up but the pudding that I make now using cream instead of milk is also labeled as 6 grams but I don't get a radical spike from it....
Maybe the cream's covering some of the carbs? On the other hand, I can eat bulb onions with impunity (so far) while a lot of Ds can't.

One bitty micro-crouton, however ...

Reactions: foxl
41 - 60 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.