The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm a fit college student wondering if I have diabetes. I am a division 1 wrestler so I am in shape and only about 10-12% body fat, but my symptoms seem congruent with those of diabetes. My biggest concern is chest pain and shortness of breath, especially after I eat a lot or eat a meal and then lay down. I take very deep, heavy breathes. I first began feeling this a year ago after I put on about 15 pounds of muscle (and some fat) and thought my body was adjusting to being bigger. I got my heart monitored and there were no irregularities. I also am getting very tired throughout the day, even falling asleep in class. I get headaches fairly consistently mid-afternoon if I don't eat lunch. Do you think that I should be worried about diabetes at all? Thanks for the input

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
You could get some simple blood tests done to rule out your doubts one way or the other.

That said, I don't think those symptoms are connected to high blood sugars. Maybe there's something else going on with your fatigue & breathlessness. A visit to a Dr is what is called for.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
As SKB says above, those don't sound like diabetic symptoms. They do, however, sound like something you need to get checked out ASAP.

As for diabetes ... the best way to check for possible diabetes (whilst awaiting a doctor's diagnosis) is to buy a meter and some strips, and test before and after meals. Two post-meal tests, approximately 1 hour and 2 hours after first bite, should give you some idea. You'll also want to test upon waking, to get your fasting number.

Please let us know how things go with your doc -- diabetes or no!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi, I have very similar symptoms at the moment and my Dr is testing for a B12 deficiency, anemia, and a few other things. Get your self tested. I wouldn't say those symptoms are those of high or low sugar levels but you never know! Holding thumbs!

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
792 Posts
Sounds liek GERD to me as well. If it was your heart, then lying down generally makes it feel better. do you feel better walking around when these chest pains start? If so then unlikely its heart and more likely something like GERD. the eat a lot then lie down is a clue. Try walking around, and not eatin gtill you're stuffed!

·
Registered
199 Posts
It could be lots of things. You should see a doctor as soon as you can though, as daytime sleepiness, and any sort of pulmonary distress need to be thoroughly examined.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I'm fit as well but did have a bit around the middle, size 36 waist pants. I also had a very high carb daily intake, about 300 +- per day. After eating my stomach would bloat which put pressure on my diaphragm and would cause to to take shallow breaths. This made it difficult to walk, be active, hike, etc. I would also feel tired mid day like I could fall asleep anywhere any time.

About 3 weeks ago, I tested and found a slightly elevated BG level. I have changed my diet to HCLF. All the bad stuff is gone. No bloating, easier to be active, lost fat around the middle, still losing, lost weight, feel sharper, more energy, less hunger, within healthy range BG. It's all good!

I thank these folks here. Their collective knowledge far surpasses any health professional. Their only interest is to help you, for free. They will try to sell you nothing but ideas and guidance. Their only pay is knowing that they helped. You can give them a tip with a thank you! Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Reactions: Freya

·
Banned
17 Posts
T2 since 06, self-treated since

Ah, ha, ha, ha!

good catch. :D
To me, the quickest and most inexpensive way to find out if you are diabetic or not:
I would buy a home -test called A1C Now, made by Bayer, at Walmart or at Walgreen for $29.99 , follow instructions, within 10 minutes , voila , the results is in front of you. Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts