The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, here is my story:
I had a fasting blood sugar at 101 done in lab.
Then I bought blood sugar meter and had following numbers:
fasting: 113
before big meal(potatoes): 112
1. hour after big meal 156
2. hour after big meal 136

1.hour after small meal( buckwheat and chiken) 106
2. hour after small meal 106

before bed 109

my A1c 5.1

Am I pre diabetic with this numbers?
I tried to speak to my doctor but whatever less than 200 doesn't concern him.
Thank you.
Michael.

·
Registered
837 Posts
What you might be doing is eating too many carbohydrates at once. Try keeping track of them. My first sign of T2 diabetes was an impaired insulin response i.e. my blood sugar readings went high and took a relatively long time to lower again. I found that this happened with juice, cereal, sugar, and milk eaten for breakfast. If I had known then what I know now, I would have switched to a higher protein and fat breakfast. Eggs, bacon or sausage would have been better and I wouldn't have advance to T2 as quickly. Try switching out some carbs for some protein and real butter. Might help you. Examine your total carbs per day. If you are at over 100, start cutting back, especially non-diet soda and high carb snacks. (High carb is defined by me as over 15 carbs per serving.) Drop all candy and cut back on the breads. You appear to be on the cusp. If you change your diet a bit, you might avoid medication for quite a while. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts

before bed 109

my A1c 5.1

Thank you.
Michael.
The 156 and 136 do indicate your insulin response is sluggish. Most of your numbers come down well by the 2 hr pp. unless you eat a lot of carbs (i.e. potatoes)

Non diabetics usually run in the 80s and 90s until they eat, but have enough insulin available to keep the rise in check and don't usually go over 100-110.

So, overall, your numbers are well within the safe range (safe from complications) but show you need to reduce the amount of carbohydrates so as to eat within the parameters of available insulin from your pancreas.

Testing as you have been doing is the very best way to find out what foods you need to eliminate or reduce portions.

·
Registered
640 Posts
When I first started having problems, I cut out bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes.

Instead of bread, look for low-carb versions you can make yourself (I like this one, without any sweetener and using olive oil instead of coconut oil: Flax Bread Recipe - Low-Carb Focaccia-Style Flax Bread).

Instead of pasta or rice, I steam cauliflower and put whatever I was going to put on the pasta or rice over it.

Instead of mashed potatoes, I steam and mash cauliflower.

That helped me. It might not help you. The only way you'll know is to test before you eat and then 1 and 2 hours after. (The 1-hour response tells you how much you "spike".)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Your numbers aren't crazy, but not rock solid either.
when you said big meal-pottoes, did you mean only potatoes? If so try balancing your meals a bit more and reducing carbs a bit.

·
Banned
17 Posts

before bed 109

my A1c 5.1

Thank you.
Michael.
To me you are a pre-diabetic. I disagree with your doctor valuation on your diabetic condition. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.