The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 55 years old male. I have a history of type 2 diabetes running in my family. My weight is under control and I exercise regularly. Four years ago my blood sugar was 6.5 mg/dl and now I have brought it down to 6.2 mg/dl. Indian doctors do not consider me diabetic but a French doctor says I have type 2 diabetes. Can you tell me which out of this is correct? What precautions should I take, other than avoiding sugar? Is it possible to correct my sugar level through diet and exercise?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I am a 55 years old male. I have a history of type 2 diabetes running in my family. My weight is under control and I exercise regularly. Four years ago my blood sugar was 6.5 mg/dl and now I have brought it down to 6.2 mg/dl. Indian doctors do not consider me diabetic but a French doctor says I have type 2 diabetes. Can you tell me which out of this is correct? What precautions should I take, other than avoiding sugar? Is it possible to correct my sugar level through diet and exercise?

Sorry, there are no Drs. on Forums and we are not allowed to tell
People whether or not they have some disease. The People have
to get diagnosed by their Dr.

Diabetes doesn't care how old or young, heavy or thin the Person
is. Heredity plays a part usually for all Types unless someone gets
their pancreas injured in an accident, or cancer, etc. The foods and
portions we eat and environmental triggers and viruses supposedly
may bring on some Types of Diabetes, if a Person is predisposed to it.

Your Dr. should have given you a blood test to check what your A1c
is and possibly a oral glucose tolerance test(OGTT) to see how your
body handles Very sweet drinks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello,

Take your time to meet another doctor. Preferably one focused on diabetes. If exists the diabetes, try to catch things on time, this would be the best you can do.

Cheers,

Javis

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
The point made by Terrie is absolutely right. No-one on this forum is qualified to say that you have or that you do not have diabetes. That is for a doctor who sees you personally to advise you.

That said, I do take the view that there is no simple cut off point that says "this individual has diabetes, but that one doesn't". Blood glucose figures for non diabetics normally lie in the range 4 to 5.5 mmol per litre. A figure consistently above 5.5 suggests that the body is no longer delivering automatic control and that individual needs to start looking at their options to handle the situation before it gets completely out of hand.

So, first, you do need to discuss this with a doctor who is not trapped in the mind set that uses a fasting figure in isolation to decide. The most reliable approach is to use an oral glucose tolerance test, again just as Terrie suggests.

In the meantime, I suggest you have a look at this site Blood Sugar 101 This site has been created by a lady who has been diabetic since the 1990s and is packed with useful information which will help you manage your situation whatever your doctor tells you.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
williampaul - you were responding to javis who last logged on here 5 years ago. Please check the dates of threads before responding to see if it is still relevant.

We also invite you to go here to tell us a little about yourself and your journey with diabetes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.