The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I wonder if I am the only one...? :hungry:

Low carbing is the way to go when you strive for good healthy low numbers but... I get tired of it. Do you? Then I get really depressed and just don't want to eat.

I am not really fond of meat. I could go without for weeks. I can only eat bacon and eggs for breakfast once in a blue moon. Sometimes I think I'm the only one on the planet who doesn't like bacon. I like cheese but I can't do cheese daily. I have to be careful with dairy products anyway as many tend not to agree with me anyway...

Someone suggested I was perhaps a hard core addict to carbs so I really stuck to low carbing for 6 months. At the end I was not even taking 1000 calories a day.

What's wrong with me? :confused:

I just love rice. Could eat it 3 times a day. I like pasta too. When low carbing I don't crave those though. I can do without. It seems I get bored with food. Am I ripe for the looney bin? :Cry:

And that's when I fall off the wagon.

Just wanted to know if you guys ever experienced something like that and if so, what are your strategies to stick to what works for you.

Thanks! :eek:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Most of the people on this site are low-carbing. It is the best, easiest and most effective way to gain control of our BG. Most people here don't really even watch how much fat they're eating but simply the carbs. You are in good company here. Perhaps even a little of the preacher and the choir syndrome. ;)
Glad to see there are more out there.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i think the problem we have sometimes with low carbing is not keeping the carbs low, but keeping the calories and fat up. and with out keeping them up, we will still feel hungry and unsatisfied.
I like getting the strange looks at the grocery store when i go in and get a big green salad at lunch, then go back to the deli counter and get a big fatty sausage for lunch. for me the best of both worlds.

Reactions: foxl

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Sometimes I think I'm the only one on the planet who doesn't like bacon.
Yup, I think that's right. I'm quite sure not loving bacon is illegal, so I stay on the right side of the law.

That said, I flip back and forth. Sometimes I love the low carb foods, other times I really wish I could ditch it for a creamy risotto and fresh fruit dessert. When I was at the produce stand the other day, I looked at the display of pineapples and wanted to yell 'stand back everybody, I have a gun, move away from my pineapples!'

Mostly I concentrate on learning new things to eat, or rather new ways to eat old (and some formerly forbidden) foods. That distracts me from thoughts of watermelon, pineapple, cherries, figs, mango ... stopping now, must stop...

Reactions: EmilyD1037

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
For me I can get bored, considering I eat almost the same things at several meals. IE: My breakfast is almost always the same thing. My post-workout meal is always the same thing, etc.

BUT ... I have a routine, and I do my best to stick to it. That's probably 90% of why I do stick to it - because it's habit now.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Wife and I are both D, I do the grocery shopping and we eat nothing but protein/veggies/fat. Thats not to say are diet is narrow window. Our diet is way more varied than its ever been. Just think about all the foods out there to eat, there is way more available than grains, rice, potatoes. Those are the only foods we avoid, its pretty simple, just don't buy them.

Dinner last night, hamburgers, stir fried veggies with cream cheese, coleslaw with a Ginger dressing, and a slice of tomato with mayo. Sounds pretty good to me.

Dinner the night before was blackened Mahi, coleslaw with Jalepeno dressing, stir fried brocholi, mushrooms, peppers, onions, celery, zuchs and yellow squash. Not to bad. Dessert was a giant piece of Walnut and Flaxseed fudge.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm not a huge meat eater myself, although I enjoy small portions of about all kinds of meat/poultry/fish. But I would starve without eggs. I make big plates of deviled eggs & keep them in the fridge - a batch lasts 2-3 days because my husband loves them too. A small omelet or just scrambled eggs is the fastest hot meal I can think of.

The other thing that gets me a LOT of mileage is cream cheese spreads - my two favorites right now are Smoked Oyster Dip and Smoked Salmon Spread. I use these on GG crispbread crackers so I get my protein, fat AND fiber . . . plus the salmon & oysters are super sources of calcium & vitamin D both, especially for folks like me whose diabetes precludes milk & milk products.

There are definitely tricks to making this work, and we'll sure help you tailor some menus you can really enjoy. :D

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
My answer is no, not at all. I absolutely LOVE my food, look forward to it and savor it. I get more pleasure out of eating (and less discomfort from the "hunger" in between) then I ever have in my life.

The only time I have feelings like what you have described is when I don't get enough fat even while still "low-carb" - which by definition means some fat was exchanged for protein which becomes higher proportionally. This happens sometimes when travelling with limited food choices.

I am so ecstatic about food that friends and relatives think I'm a little strange when I go on and on about it. I would advise that you definitely COUNT all three: carbs, protein and fat because therein may lie the answer to your question as it does for me.

Find enough fatty foods that you can eat (or get used to eating over time) in order to get the appropriate proportions. Beware that most fat sources are also protein sources, making it somewhat difficult. Look for the highest-fat cuts of meat like boneless short rib, etc. - which are also the best tasting! With cheeses, look for at least a 2 to 1 ratio of grams of fat to grams of protein or better yet 4 to 1 (e.g., Kiri brand). They exist, but you have to read labels and shop around. Stay far away from EVERYTHING "low-fat" or "reduced-fat" as they will make things impossible unless you literally drink cups of heavy cream.

Then, you can add things like avocado, olive oil, butter, heavy cream, etc.

Low-carb, high-protein, moderate fat is for me a miserable diet matching all the descriptions you gave. It is not even as useful for controlling BG, since the protein is "one step back" after low-carb's "two steps forward".

Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years
DX: 9/2009 A1C=10.7
A1C 2/2010: 6.7 (DX + 4 months)
A1C 5/2010: 6.0 (DX + 8 months)
A1C 8/2010: 5.7 (DX + 11 months)
A1C 11/2010: 5.1 (DX + 14 months)
Diet: Approximately C:10;P:15;F:75 (as % calories)
Ketogenic (Most of the time)
Exercise: 24 minute bike ride 5 days/wk
NO MEDS, No Highs, No Lows
Grandkids: 11

Reactions: Scarlet Phantom

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I was a vegetarian before Diabetes so for me it was a big change. I burnt out on the bacon and eggs fairly quickly. I think when you do low carb you need to be creative in your meals. Don't be afraid to experiment. Since I have a D husband who loves to eat I have to think out of the box. Some of the low carb dishes I make are:

Chicken parmesan made with almond meal
Tamale Pie with the topping made with coconut flour
Stuffed Banana Peppers
Sweet Potato Bisque
Chilli with avacado and real sour cream
bunless cheese burgers smothered in sauteed mushrooms
Stir Frys made with Shiratake Noodles and veggies with a thai peanut sauce
Pizza made with an almond meal and cheese crust
BBQ chicken with Walden Farms 0 BBQ sauce
Steak and grilled asparagus and grilled zucchini
Pasta made with spagetti squash, julienned zucchi or yellow squash
Black bean burgers, veggie burgers or veggie meatballs
Black bean soup
Vegetable soup
eggplant parmesan

As you see the list is endless. We usually eat 2-3 veggie meals per week , so you don't need meat every day. Just make sure you are getting some kind of protein source and a good fat source.

Reactions: Boo

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A HUGE thank you to everyone who has taken the time to answer :D

All that you posted is very helpful. I feel less of a freak. I think I know now what I do wrong...

The only time I have feelings like what you have described is when I don't get enough fat even while still "low-carb" - which by definition means some fat was exchanged for protein which becomes higher proportionally. I would advise that you definitely COUNT all three: carbs, protein and fat because therein may lie the answer to your question as it does for me. Stay far away from EVERYTHING "low-fat" or "reduced-fat" as they will make things impossible unless you literally drink cups of heavy cream.
I found the problem! :eek: -f-a-t-

I'm thinking lean meat and low fat all the time. I use skimmed milk. I use partly skimmed mozzarella and ricotta. Salad dressing is a sprinkle of fresh lemon juice on my salad. A small bottle of virgin olive oil will last forever in my kitchen! I've been eating that way since I don't know when. We've been constantly bombarded with reduce-your-fat-at-all-cost-to- avoid-coronary-diseases that I'm on auto pilot when it comes to fat content.

Much to think about!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yep, fats are what makes low-carbing a DREAM! If ye get bored with just butter on your veggies, do what I do . . . HOLLANDAISE! or a real bonafide cream sauce made with heavy cream. I just season it with salt & white pepper - it hardly needs thickening.

B'lieve me, SP - you are NOT a freak! (or else you're invisible in the midst of all the rest of us freaks . . . ;))

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Ah, Hollandaise - great stuff! They serve it at our local pancake house poured on top of the feta-spinach omelet. Lunch is strictly optional after that breakfast (I usually can't).

This weekend I was travelling and suffering from insufficient fat. Looking around in Whole Foods, I actually found ready-made hollandaise sauce in a small plastic container. I took it to my father's house where we were all meeting for breakfast and poured it over my eggs. It made my whole day!

Main ingredients: butter and egg yolk! Nectar, it is.

Remember the trepidation we all felt when looking at BBQ ribs, ribeye steak or butter? That's how I feel when I see chicken breast, most fish or anything with "low-fat" written on it. Those things can hurt me and disrupt my balance.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Again and again, thank you guys! :)

I think I will have to 'reprogram' my brain. Fat = a very bad thing (still) in my mind.

I should not only check out recipes other members post but actually try them too!

·
Registered
718 Posts
My issue is just that I get TIRED of always having to prepare everything I eat. Avoiding processed foods means that very few things are just ready to eat out of the package. As a mom to three young boys, one a 3 month old baby, I just get plain ol' worn out and I want something quick, and that's usually always high in carbs. Then I feel pretty gross after I eat it. I used to just eat bowls of pasta or rice with butter and salt and that was my lunch... I love carbs. I could eat a whole loaf of fresh baked bread slathered in butter and not blink. I really like carbs, but I don't crave them anymore.

I agree on the fat front... I had the same problem of not getting enough calories, and while breastfeeding, that's not good... I would have seeds and cheese for breakfast, then a big salad (whole head of romaine per day) for lunch, and then lean meat and veggies for dinner. So, I've started intentionally adding more fat to my diet. I always have used real butter and whole fat dairy, salad dressing, etc. - but it was still used sparingly... So now I use the fattier cuts of meats, even though I've always enjoyed sirloin steak and london broil, we now choose the fattier sirloins or ribeye, t-bone, etc. Dark meat chicken, chicken with the skin...we eat a lot of sausage and bacon. I started adding avocados, butter, cream, coconut oil, bacon grease, and olive oil to things I didn't, and use more on foods I already put it on. Now I melt butter over my steak and burgers LOL...

There is a smoky cauliflower casserole in Dana Carpenter's first cookbook... and you add cream cheese, sausage and smoked cheese to mashed up cauliflower, and I could eat that all day... high in fat too.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used to just eat bowls of pasta or rice with butter and salt and that was my lunch...
OMG! That was my diet :D ... and loads of ketchup on top!

I'm glad I hear stories like that. And that people have (succesfully!) made changes to their diets, have lowered their BG, and some have even stopped medication. So I guess there is hope for me? :cool:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Main ingredients: butter and egg yolk! Nectar, it is.
Maybe I should look around a little more for this in stores. I've just made it for so long & don't think much about it - I do use a whole egg instead of only yolks, so getting the emulsion exactly right is a little more delicate balance, but there again, I'm used to it. And I zip it up with a pinch of white pepper too; I prob'ly use more lemon than a lot of people as well - I tell ye, I could eat it with a spoon! heheh! :D

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Do NOT fear the FAT!

Fat is the very best thing about low-carbing!

I was and STILL AM a vegetarian; but I do eat LOTS of eggs and cheese. I also eat a lot of nuts --walnuts, pecans, almonds, and recently even peanuts again! (I have a problem with peanuts spiking me, sometimes, but recently have been getting away with them, oddly, IF it is before my Levemir shot wears off in the evening).

If I can do it, you can. I cook a lot, and get adventurous.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Fox! I repeat this to myself all the time now : fat is not a big meanie! :)

You should have seen my breakfast this morning! Omelette with cheese and veggies.

When I 'think' I'm getting bored with low carbing, it must be my little pea brain saying GET CARBS! GET CARBS! . I did my homework this morning and found tons of low carb recipes. One can't get bored!

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Something my wife likes is the WASA Light and Crispy crackers with peanut butter, there are like 3g carbs a piece. Another quick thing is full fat Greek yogurt with a Crystal light packet mixed in with some crushed walnuts. I even like this.

My issue is just that I get TIRED of always having to prepare everything I eat. Avoiding processed foods means that very few things are just ready to eat out of the package. As a mom to three young boys, one a 3 month old baby, I just get plain ol' worn out and I want something quick, and that's usually always high in carbs. Then I feel pretty gross after I eat it. I used to just eat bowls of pasta or rice with butter and salt and that was my lunch... I love carbs. I could eat a whole loaf of fresh baked bread slathered in butter and not blink. I really like carbs, but I don't crave them anymore.

I agree on the fat front... I had the same problem of not getting enough calories, and while breastfeeding, that's not good... I would have seeds and cheese for breakfast, then a big salad (whole head of romaine per day) for lunch, and then lean meat and veggies for dinner. So, I've started intentionally adding more fat to my diet. I always have used real butter and whole fat dairy, salad dressing, etc. - but it was still used sparingly... So now I use the fattier cuts of meats, even though I've always enjoyed sirloin steak and london broil, we now choose the fattier sirloins or ribeye, t-bone, etc. Dark meat chicken, chicken with the skin...we eat a lot of sausage and bacon. I started adding avocados, butter, cream, coconut oil, bacon grease, and olive oil to things I didn't, and use more on foods I already put it on. Now I melt butter over my steak and burgers LOL...

There is a smoky cauliflower casserole in Dana Carpenter's first cookbook... and you add cream cheese, sausage and smoked cheese to mashed up cauliflower, and I could eat that all day... high in fat too.

·
Registered
718 Posts
When I 'think' I'm getting bored with low carbing, it must be my little pea brain saying GET CARBS! GET CARBS! . I did my homework this morning and found tons of low carb recipes. One can't get bored!
I do the same thing! I start searching online and find new recipes and I get so excited to try them :) Definitely makes low carb NOT boring :)

And that's a neat trick about the greek yogurt / crystal light... you can't find full fat flavored yogurt that doesn't have a ton of sugar. And the sugar free yogurts are always light or non-fat. I want my boys to get the full fat available in plain yogurt, but they don't really like it...so that would work great, esp b/c the greek yogurt has higher protein.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts