Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Am i welcome???

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Zlachirk 
#1 ·
Sad that I did not paid any attention when my FBS was still at 117.65 mg/dl at age 35 and 129 mg/dl at age 37.

Now I'm 39 years old with 5'8.5" height and of 78 kilograms. One day I passed by some free glucometer testing and had my blood tested, though not FBS, and got a result of 257 mg/dl.

I was prescribed immediately by the attending doctor with Getryl 2 mg.; so I started taking it since June 18, 2011 and it had been 6 days up to now. I just brought also a Contour TS Glocumeter and here are my results:

6/22/11 6:00 A.M. - 122 mg/dl 9 hrs. FBS
6/22/11 9:08 P.M. - 148 mg/dl 2 hrs after snacks
6/23/11 6:00 A.M. - 145 mg/dl 8.5 hrs. FBS
6/23/11 9:30 A.M. - 74 mg/dl 2.5 hrs. after medicine, exercise, oats
6/23/11 2:30 P.M. - 100 mg/dl 2 hrs. after lunch
6/23/11 11:28 P.M. - 192 mg/dl 2 hrs. after meal
6/23/11 11:38 P.M. - 175 mg/dl re-testing and also 4 hrs. after exercise
6/24/11 5:52 A.M. - 117 mg/dl 8.5 hrs. FBS
6/24/11 8:58 A.M. - 75 mg/dl 2.5 hrs. after meal and medicine
6/24/11 2:16 P.M. - 108 mg/dl 2 hrs. FBS after lunch

My diet are mostly quaker oats and sweet potato, and sometimes with vegetables, eggs and wheat breads... and still working on its effects also.

I just got back exercising every morning for 20 mins. jog starting for 4 straight days now and had a day of biking 40 kilometers.

Currently, I am planning a formal check-up about my case, but for the meantime I have some questions:

1) I have observed that during nightime my mg/dl results were high, what does this mean?
2) In the morning it's very low, might be the effect of the medicine; should I refrain also exercising at this time?
3) I am planning to have an FBS at some testing center, should I not take my medicine prior to the testing?
4) Now, even if my results marked 75 or 100 mg/dl I can still sometimes feel that I'm sleepy and also dizzy a little bit, what does this mean?
5) What's the best blood to capture from the prick during glucometer testing; Is it the 1st drop? or the 2nd drop, after wiping the 1st drop.

Anyways, these are all for now, I'll be reading a lot on this forum and hope to share soon my experiences and progress...

See less See more
G
#2 · (Edited)
Welcome Zlachirk :) it's good you're keeping an eye on things already.
I'll try and answer your questions:
1) I have observed that during nightime my mg/dl results were high, what does this mean? it depends on what you ate for dinner and when do you take your medication? If you are eating carbs (your oats and sweet potato) at dinner you could be eating too much of it
2) In the morning it's very low, might be the effect of the medicine; should I refrain also exercising at this time? I gather you're taking med at night? If you're low in the morning that's good... but too low is below 72 and should be treated quickly. It's not a good idea to exercise when low as you need energy to fuel your body and if you exercise you need to eat first and even during your exercise to keep your BGL at a safe level
3) I am planning to have an FBS at some testing center, should I not take my medicine prior to the testing? if you're fasting you need to be very careful that you don't drop too low if you're on medication. I would recommend either not taking your medicine the night before or halving your medication so that you are not too low... as you can't eat breakfast until you've had your test
4) Now, even if my results marked 75 or 100 mg/dl I can still sometimes feel that I'm sleepy and also dizzy a little bit, what does this mean? the lower range may be too low for you... we're all different. For example, for me during the day I can't be less than 81 otherwise I'm having a hypo and I don't feel well at all. Find out what reading you get when you start feeling that way and aim to stay above it. The reading of 100 is not low and it could just be your body getting used to that one.
5) What's the best blood to capture from the prick during glucometer testing; Is it the 1st drop? or the 2nd drop, after wiping the 1st drop. good question, although for me I tend to use the first drop everytime.. the only time I don't is when I miss it and it runs away on me. lol

I hope that helps.

Keep us posted on how you go with your doc appointment.

#3 ·
Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot onlymep... I appreciate your reply very much...

Sorry, I'm not clear on #2 - I took medications every morning then have results the following morning of 122, 145, and 117 mg/dl and then do some 20 mins. exercise, then ate oatmeal or wheat bread or sweet potato and then have my medication.

The result 2 hours thereafter would be 74 mg/dl and 75 mg/dl so far...

Anyways, thanks again onlymep... though I love this lifestyle having control over myself yet this is very hard but I have no choice... I just quit smoking and had a 360 change on my diet too...

#5 ·
Hello foxl,

Thank you for your comment, I thought oatmeals and sweet potatoes were good considering that they are rich with fiber... good for the heart, colon, anti-cancer, kidney, skin, memory, etc... so far as I've researched....

Though, I'll keep on researching on what is good for me... I've tried as a vegetarian before but don't have the meter to check the effects... thanks a lot for the information... one of my plans if it is still possible is to find a herbal medicine that can control my sugar coupled with exercise and diet...

#6 ·
Welcome to the forum! We are glad you're here. Everyone is welcome here and obviously you fall into that category! ;)
You don't need to do vegetarian. You can if you want but that is not necessary. Most of us find that building our meals around proteins (cheese, meats, nuts, eggs, etc.) and adding vegetables and occasionally fruits and other carbs (potatoes, rice, bread, oatmeal, sweets, milk, etc.) is the best way for us to control our diabetes. Please ask any questions. We won't bite.

Reactions: Zlachirk
#8 ·
You don't need to do vegetarian. You can if you want but that is not necessary. Most of us find that building our meals around proteins (cheese, meats, nuts, eggs, etc.) and adding vegetables and occasionally fruits and other carbs (potatoes, rice, bread, oatmeal, sweets, milk, etc.) is the best way for us to control our diabetes. Please ask any questions. We won't bite.
I only mentioned vegetarian, because my diet was PARTICULARLY high in starches ... and I suspect most veg diets ARE!

#7 ·
Thanks a lot too Joshua Shorter... somehow my posting here just saved me a lot of time spent just to discover what you all have shared... thanks a lot!!!

Just a follow-up question, how much would be too much on these proteins upon every meal? Just a general idea...

#9 ·
Honestly, I do not even keep track of the proteins. They have such a low impact on my bg that I don't even watch it. I eat as many as I want. Others might have different advice for you.

#10 ·
You're going to find every diabetic is different. Most of us have had to experiment with different foods and their effect on our bg. Many of us are very insulin resistant in the morning so we have to eat less carbs then. The drug you are on is in the class of drugs called Sulfyurea. The way it works is to overstimulate your pancreas to produce more insulin than normal. This is why you are seeing the lower numbers after eating. Some people on similar drugs actually go very low, so be careful. As far as going for lab test, I always take my medication, but I take metformin which doesn't lower bg specifically. I think I would be careful of taking the getryl without eating, you might go too low.

Reactions: Zlachirk
#12 ·
Thank you, thank you very much for pointing it out to me jwags... I wasn't told by the doctor on this but I suspected on it.

Today, I just had an 8.5 hrs. FBS with 104 mg/dl... I ate a little bit of sweet corn, cucumber, brocholi, chicken and vegetable lumpia.

I DON'T WANT TO TAKE MY MEDICINE AS OF THIS MOMENT TODAY because I'm sure that it would go too low after... I'll be doing this activities first and decide if I'll have to take Getryl later (probably lunch time):

1. Eat Ampalaya and a little of sweet potato;
2. Bike for 18 kilometers this morning and probably 30 in the afternoon;
3. Check my BG
4. Eat lunch (don't know yet, might be proteins)
5. Check my BG

I don't have a doctor at my convenient, am I doing the right thing by delaying my medication judging on the BG readings?

#13 ·
Thank you for the welcome Shanny, and thank you all also! Somehow, the feeling of being alone just changed overnight... I feel like I am not alone because of this site... I'll surely be here as long as I can... Thanks!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.