The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really enjoyed this article, though the title is a bit inflammatory. While it's not diabetes specific, it does talk about America's obesity/health crisis and supports the high fat / low carb diet a lot of us believe in.

Justin Stoneman: America: A Big, Fat, Stupid Nation

·
Registered
460 Posts
Harsh words but I agree with what he says.

---

Edited to add...

I DON"T think there is any great conspiracy to make and keep us unhealthy... it can all be simply explained as folks like you and I seeking to do the best by their employers and shareholders, so they can keep their jobs and pay their bills. Free market economy at work -- which is fine, except for when powerful and monied special-interest lobbys subvert Government policy... policies which are supposed to be for the people.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
The article's tone is less than diplomatic, as well ... so I'd be careful about sending it whole to someone I want to bring over to the Sane Side.

But I wholeheartedly applaud Stoneman's research and his presentation of the facts.

(No, the corporate powers don't want us to get better. Hey, they don't want us to be well in the first place! Here's why, and here's how they're ensuring it.)

A one-stop shop for talking points. Bookmarked and strongly recommended!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I get sick of people, especially from other countries, insulting the American people, saying we are fat and stupid. If they want to point to the misinformation the U.S. government has been feeding us about food, obesity and diabetes, that's fine.

I understand the author is from the UK. Their food pyramid looks about the same as ours (which he obviously blames on the U.S.), and according to statistics, the UK isn't that far behind us in obesity, so they obviously aren't that much smarter than we are, since he equates believing what the government says about food with intellect.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Good article, but this is more than a diabetes epidemic, this is a malnutrition epidemic plus the fact that we are deliberately being poisoned for profit.

ColaJim

I really enjoyed this article, though the title is a bit inflammatory. While it's not diabetes specific, it does talk about America's obesity/health crisis and supports the high fat / low carb diet a lot of us believe in.

Justin Stoneman: America: A Big, Fat, Stupid Nation

Reactions: Shanny and Shalynne

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Harsh words but I agree with what he says.

---

Edited to add...

I DON"T think there is any great conspiracy to make and keep us unhealthy... it can all be simply explained as folks like you and I seeking to do the best by their employers and shareholders, so they can keep their jobs and pay their bills. Free market economy at work -- which is fine, except for when powerful and monied special-interest lobbys subvert Government policy... policies which are supposed to be for the people.
I can believe it started out that way. But when the consequences made themselves known, the plot got thicker. Ever-increasing reinforcement of bad science. CYA at all costs, including human costs.

At some level, some power brokers, at least, must know what they're doing.

Reactions: ColaJim

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
This is the truth of big corporations' stranglehold on the populace of the developed nations of the world to the point that they barely have control over what goes in their mouths.

I think it is a magnificent essay & I'm thankful for whoEVER wrote it & whoever has published it, whether they be Yanks, Irishmen or Indian chiefs. If we are cognizant of the differences between patriotism & nationalism, I think we'll recognize that Mr. Stoneman is saying we're all in this together, even though it started in America when people began believing Ancel Keys' claptrap.

I posted it on my FaceBook page & I hope others will pass it around everywhere they go.

Thank you Stephanie!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
This is the truth of big corporations' stranglehold on the populace of the developed nations of the world to the point that they barely have control over what goes in their mouths.

I think it is a magnificent essay & I'm thankful for whoEVER wrote it & whoever has published it, whether they be Yanks, Irishmen or Indian chiefs. If we are cognizant of the differences between patriotism & nationalism, I think we'll recognize that Mr. Stoneman is saying we're all in this together, even though it started in America when people began believing Ancel Keys' claptrap.

I posted it on my FaceBook page & I hope others will pass it around everywhere they go.

Thank you Stephanie!
I will still consider the audience before passing the whole article on (there are more tactful ways to present the harshest facts, and some folks need that). BUT ... I also posted it on Facebook.

Reactions: d33na and Shanny

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, it is harsh... I think some people need harsh, others need gentle coaxing.

It's not like I appreciate someone talking about our country in this tone either... however, he has a point. How many people out there blatantly ignore the truth about where most conventional food comes from? They don't want to know. They don't want to explore things themselves. They gladly line up at the trough and eat what the government says they should. And the government doesn't always have the best intentions.

I find that the US is usually a "trendsetter" so he is right to be upset that our food pyramid and misguided attempts at "health" are being adopted by other nations, and that those nations are now seeing the same problems we have.

It's time for everyone to wake up and realize the government doesn't always do what is best. My mother's generation has been quite literally "brainwashed" into fat-free / high carb oblivion. And my generation is a bunch of pudgy couch potatoes with a frightening future full of health problems - especially if the ADA doesn't get their heads out of their butts and stop recommending a high carb/low fat diet for diabetics.

Just the other day they raided a dairy farm that sold raw milk and cheeses, b/c OBVIOUSLY we aren't allowed to think for ourselves and choose what we want to eat.

Anyway, I don't necessarily agree with his approach for all, but there's loads of good information, and I do feel that the US SHOULD be outraged at what the government is feeding us.

Reactions: Shalynne

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Just the other day they raided a dairy farm that sold raw milk and cheeses, b/c OBVIOUSLY we aren't allowed to think for ourselves and choose what we want to eat.
This really makes my blood boil. Can people even keep their own dairy cow & use the milk themselves without government interference? :mad:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I liked the article. I do think America needs a wake up call. The nutrition advice we have been given for the past 35 years hasn't worked. We have been told to eat more whole grains, brown rice, fruit and eat less meat, butter and cheese. What has been the result? A huge obesity epidemic in our country is the result. The ADA's insistance on a high carb/low fat diet and an HbA1c of 7 (bg of 154) shows you they really don't care about complications. I just got back from vacation visiting 2 realatives in 2 different states. Both were diabetics. One had know idea how to eat and really didn't know what his bgs meant. He was quite overweight even though he exercised. They were shocked by my diet. They kept pushing cereal, fruit and bread on me. I tried to explain to them that I know by specific bg testing what these foods do to me. My cousin was always hungry and always consuming carbs. I tried to explain the insulin response and how too much insulin causes hunger, but they weren't ready to listen. Then we went on to California to see my BIL. His wife was trying to tell me he isn't diabetic anymore and had great bgs. Then I saw him popping pills. I asked him what he was taking. He responded he takes his diabetes meds at breakfast and dinner for a total of 30 mg of Actos, 2000 mg of metformin and Starlix at each meal. I think his HbA1c is in the high 6's. So he is definitely not controlled and tells me he has a lot of lows. Well the starlix will do that to you. I was surprised at how little D friendly food they had in their house. Again I was pushed real fruit juice, cereal, bran muffins, bread and tons of fruit. My SIL bascially told me I would die of a heart attack since I didn't eat fruit. I think we have our food rules all messed up and people need to be open to change. One thing diabetes has allowed me to do is to know how I react to food. I now choose the food that keeps me pretty normal.

Reactions: d33na and Shalynne

·
Registered
27 Posts
If he would have left the word 'stupid' out of the article, I would not object to it. I don't think you have to be stupid to believe what the feds say about food, just nieve. 'Fat and nieve' would have been a more accurate phraseology than 'fat and stupid', not to mention less offensive.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I agree, Ann. Those who know this aren't insulted because they think "hey, I'm not stupid - I get it" but if you're trying to reach those who believe the guidelines, it's likely not the best approach.

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Ya know ... my big problem with his tone is that it will not persuade the folks most desperately in need of persuasion. Rather, such language is a complete turn-off for a conventionally compliant diabetic, dieter or clinician.

I know this because I've inadvertently turned people off, while using far gentler words. One of my main life-goals is to learn how to convey harsh truths clearly, without creating distractions that obliterate the points I'm trying to make. (And without watering my points down beyond all recognition.) 'Tain't easy!

And yes, "stupid" is That One Word that goes Way Too Far when it refers to victims of systemic misinformation that permeates the educational system, health care industry, law and popular culture.

(But I'm pretty sure my Facebook friends can take it!)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've inadvertently turned people off, while using far gentler words. One of my main life-goals is to learn how to convey harsh truths clearly, without creating distractions that obliterate the points I'm trying to make. (And without watering my points down beyond all recognition.) 'Tain't easy!
Besides me, there are 5 family members and a friend who have diabetes and they eat every meal as if it is their last, eating no different than they did before being diagnosed. I have talked to each of them, they all now know everything from eating low carb to keeping their bg in a safe range so as not to further damage their beta cells, but nothing ever changes. The truth is, even if most diabetics know what to do, they won't do it because they don't want to give a single thing up when it comes to food. They always think the diabetic complications won't happen to them.

Since we know how to control diabetes, we feel like we have to teach our friends and relatives, and I do feel that way, but since they all reject sound advice, all I can do is tell myself I did all that I could and that is all any of us can do. It's a very sad situation.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I consider myself quite well educated and smart and bought into the whole Food Pyramid approach. Luckily when I got diabetes I woke up.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Besides me, there are 5 family members and a friend who have diabetes and they eat every meal as if it is their last, eating no different than they did before being diagnosed. I have talked to each of them, they all now know everything from eating low carb to keeping their bg in a safe range so as not to further damage their beta cells, but nothing ever changes. The truth is, even if most diabetics know what to do, they won't do it because they don't want to give a single thing up when it comes to food. They always think the diabetic complications won't happen to them.

Since we know how to control diabetes, we feel like we have to teach our friends and relatives, and I do feel that way, but since they all reject sound advice, all I can do is tell myself I did all that I could and that is all any of us can do. It's a very sad situation.
I wouldn't feel SO responsible if I knew folks were getting sound professional advice.

But what we do with information, once we have it, is up to us. Rejection from those close to us, however, is deeply frustrating. I empathize.

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I consider myself quite well educated and smart and bought into the whole Food Pyramid approach. Luckily when I got diabetes I woke up.
If it wasn't for getting diabetes, most if not all of us would still be asleep. The food pyramid looked so reasonable and sounded so right until one day on the news they were saying Americans are too obese and diabetes is rampant, and in the next breath they said we aren't eating enough carbs, so they changed the pyramid and added more, and I'm saying whoa... somethin' sure ain't right here!

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have to say I was one of the stupid ones...I had a dear friend who tried over and over to tell me about carbs...was worried about my weight and not in a nasty way...she has always been into whole foods and lived a healing and giving life...the tree-hugging hippie type so people (embarrassed to say even me) don't take her too seriously..I'm an advocate of everyone is allowed to look however they want but also guilty of judging...she had it 100% right...I need to go and prologise...when she told me I was so scared to go against the Endo...it took me 18months on a waiting list to see him...

I used to think I was smart and open and questioning...I've proved I'm not...there is an element of fear I guess when it comes to your own health and diabetes is serious...in my own defence I think we are bombarded by so much erroneous information it's difficult to (as one person) go against that and get support from anyone...

The internet and forums like this are how it changes! Real advise from people who are in a similar position...

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I only heard about how bad carbs are, around 6 mos before dx. And I told the person (who was telling me what her trainer advised, and how much she hated the diet!) that the person was crazy.

Well, now, so much for that.

The "Stupid" is an attention-grabber. I shared that article on FB yesterday and got repleis from unusual corners .... the author does redact the "stupid" remark later in the article, too. But if you have travelled internationally, you do get the impression that we are comparatively fat, stupid-ACTING, and loud. It's a cultural, not an individual, thing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts