The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal to feel like you are smelling amonia during an extremely high sugar? I experience high sugars after intense exercise and seem to smell amonia when deeply breathing in. I also feel like my jaw is really tight. Is this normal?:confused:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi and Welcome.

Are you able to test for Ketones at these times? Some ketones are wasted in respiration and can lead to "fruity" or an acetone breath.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
And, as I hope you are aware, ketones plus high blood sugar can be very bad news as it could be the beginning of diabetic ketoacidosis. DKA can escalate very quickly and can be fatal.

Ketones with low (normal) blood sugar are good news as they signal successful ketosis and do not progress to the runaway mode which is DKA.

Hi and Welcome.

Are you able to test for Ketones at these times? Some ketones are wasted in respiration and can lead to "fruity" or an acetone breath.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will check ketone level next time. Didn't think that could be the cause. The smell is not acetone or sweet. It is definitely an amonia smell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is it normal to feel like you are smelling amonia during an extremely high sugar? I experience high sugars after intense exercise and seem to smell amonia when deeply breathing in. I also feel like my jaw is really tight. Is this normal?:confused:
Never heard of that,have heard of the "fruity" smell.

·
Registered
18 Posts
They are ketones. Exercise = fat being burned, burned fat = ketones produced (good). Ketones smell like ammonia when secreted through sweat. It could just be healthy ketones that are produced from you burning fat from the workout, however, the evidence suggests that in your case (w/ the high glucose readings), it is not good. I'd definitely try and figure out why you are having extreme highs after intense exercise. If you don't have enough insulin to fuel your body through a workout, you will start burning fat for energy (not good), which will also produce more ketones. Too many ketones in the blood is extremely dangerous.

I'm on a pump now so dealing with my BGL during workouts is easier, but before I was on the pump I would not exercise until my blood sugar was less than 200. I would then work out, testing every 1/2 hour, if my blood sugar went above 200, I'd call it quits (or treat it and continue once I was back in my normal range). If it was too low, obviously I treated it and continued my workout once I got back into my target range.

And I'm no doctor, but I'd guess that a tight jaw could be caused by too many ketones in your blood too. Dehydration is a symptom of ketoacidosis. Dehydration causes muscles and joints to stiffen up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts