The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first ever encounter with a No-Carber in flesh and blood this afternoon. Since all my encounters with No-Carbers so far have been through the medium of the internet, I had somehow come to consider them as ephemeral beings who would vaporize into thin air in bright daylight as do the bhoota, preta, pishachas (ghouls, goblins and ghosts) when you wake up from a night of scary dreams into the golden sunlight of early morning. Today, I not only saw a No-Carber in flesh and blood but spoke to her face to face !! Well, I think I have met a few low carbers face to face. But these meetings have been so few and far between that I don't remember them well. Besides, I think the few real life encounters I had with low carbers were so unremarkable that they fail to stick to my memory. But the present encounter with the first ever flesh and blood No-Carber is so remarkable that it has vaporized my resolve to post only infrequently in e-forums. As I sit typing these words on the keyboard, I hear my wife in the background saying "Are you back to samvaada (dialogue)?". Samvaada is her slightly derogatory term to designate my efforts at posting in e-forums or exchanging ideas with my internet buddies. But then, I have taken her today to the grocery, did a couple of other errands, and finally, watered the lawn and plants, so I think I have fully earned this precious time for samvaada. Also, the remarkableness of this unique encounter has, as I alluded before, so completely melted away my resolve not to post in e-forums (and instead devote the time so gained to improve my health) that I might post today's experience in a couple of other e-forums too, where I hardly post nowadays.

As wife and self entered the grocery today, we were greeted by a "Cookie Monster." This was a man dressed up in a mask and a weird costume with the words "Cookie Monster" printed on it. This is one of the shows the grocery puts up presumably to attract customers. The Cookie Monster was distributing cookies to children. He gave cookies to us too, perhaps thinking us to be really kids in rather old bodies, like new wine in old bottles. But then, I saw some others too munching cookies who were old in bodies but presumably kids in spirit. Now the most remarkable thing happened. Behind us was a pretty woman of around thirty accompanied by a little girl of around six. The Cookie Monster held a cookie for the little girl and she grabbed it immediately in her little hands. The Monster offered one to the adult woman too. She refused it haughtily and ordered the little girl to return it to the Monster. "It is a cookie, mom", the little girl mumbled. "It is CARBOHYDRATE" shouted the mom. English is after all my second language and when people speak it, especially in places like groceries, I don't recognize all the syllables in words and sentences. Through smart deciphering techniques I somehow reconstruct in my mind the words they utter and get what they intend to convey. But in this case, I really heard every syllable clearly and loudly when the mom said "CARBOHYDRATE." When speaking to a little girl of around six, I thought "Carbohydrate" was really a mouthful of a word.

Throwing all caution and social etiquette to the winds I turned to the mom and asked her if the little girl had juvenile diabetes. She rather angrily replied "NO." My wife was pinching me, but disregarding the pain I asked the mom again "Does she have Celiac disease?" "No, my daughter and I are perfectly healthy. We don't have any allergies either. Carbohydrates are very, very bad for health, especially for children."

Regards,
Rad

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
OK, what clued you into her being "no-carber" as opposed to just a very determined low-carber?

·
Registered
68 Posts
This woman sounds like a Goddess, I went to our shopping mall, and saw with new D eyes, hundreds of fat carb eating people, and when I looked for something to eat, there are Carbs everywhere, as a population we're doomed.

·
Registered
460 Posts
"Low Carb" does not equal "NO Carb", and I say "good for the Mother" (and her child) in avoiding the refined carbs (sugars and starches) from that cookie.

As a parent I'd also ask what you think gives you the right to judge another parent's choice for their child? Sure an occasional sugary treat might be OK for most children (and adults) but do you know what else the child had eaten that day? Do you know what that mother planned to feed her child for the rest of the day? What else was in that cookie.. what kind of shortening was used for example? Do you think it is safe for a child to accept food from a stranger? Heck I rarely even trust a restaurant to give me exactly what I have ordered.

Does anybody have the right to choose what they eat these days? It used to be impolite to refuse a cigarette when offered... should we all submit to social pressure?

I'm not quite clear what your intention was with this title and lengthy post but I for one intensely dislike the feeling of having a label slapped on me and being categorized in this manner.

I personally do not advocate eating NO Carbs (nor have I read any others on forums who make that choice -- even if it were practicable) and I dislike being labelled as a "Low Carber". I consider all such labels to be dismissive and degrading to an individual AND divisive in a community such as we have here on this forum; where we actually have much in common, when we are not taking pot-shots at "the others".

Low carb is a descriptive term for a diet (what we eat) where: the percentage of energy from Carbohydrate is lower than one or both of the other macronutrients (commonly Fat)... this could be achieved by a daily reduction of only 100g Carbs with a corresponding increase of 45g Fat. An easy way to accomplish this is by avoiding refined/concentrated sources of sugar and starch (cookies for example) and by not avoiding naturally occurring fats in real foods. This does not preclude eating natural carbohydrates in green leafy vegetables, nuts or berries; as examples. For many folks this is an health choice and does not automatically make any of us into some kind of subversive or extremist.

Eating a low carb diet is part of what I do, it is NOT who I am.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I strive to make my kids carb-conscious. They love sweets and candy and STARCHES and it drives me nuts. They are slender, thankfully, but have classmates, who are tall, obese, and frightening to me. I do not want this life for my kids!

So, if they have been carbing out all day (and given free access to wheat, especially, they DO) it may well have been ME frustrated and yelping at my kid in public. To you it was just cookie, perhaps; to me it would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

PARTICULARLY, as well, a stranger, presumptuously pushing cookies on my kid!!! That is not appropriate, not at all. What might a stranger want, for htat cookie ... ?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Kudos to the mom. Here is a mom that is taking responsibility for what her kids eat. I think I would have pinched you too. I wonder if the tables were reversed and an overweight mom and child were sampling way too many cookies. Would you have made a statement to the mom about her choice to let an overweight child eat cookies. I think, NOT. Our society is so PC we are not allowed to comment about weight issues and carbs . But we stay silent as Mom's of overweight children load their carts up with goodies. It is not child abuse to deny a child a sugar laden cookie.

Reactions: Dura

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
My husband with whom I shared this anecdote pointed out yet another 20th century change in dietary habit -- usedtabe, you had to read off your grocery list to a clerk (who clearly would have been coached to remain neutral -- not the point), who then retrieved the items for you.

Was this sufficient to restrain the shopper? I do not know! Still pondering ...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
All I have to say about this is that I've been called worse things that a low-carber. I AM a low-carber—I can hardly take offense at something that is true. I am also a wife, mother, grandmother & an old fat lady. I don't take offense at being labeled any of those things. Furthermore, I learned at a very young age that what others think of me has very little to do with who I truly am, what I do or how well or poorly I behave. It is their opinion & it may be correct or it may not. My life goes on a lot smoother if I don't take issue with things I don't have control over and which don't really matter to me anyhow.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I once bought a book because of it's name and it was so good for me at the time.

The title was WHAT YOU THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS. I'm with Shanny on this. Maybe it's my advanced age, but I'm finally at the stage in life where I don't want to spend my time worrying about things like this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts