The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I just had our 8th anniversary and we went to dinner.We decided to go out for chinese because I told her I would not be able to have that very often. On my plate was Egg Flower soup, Almond Chicken, Pork fried rice, Special Chow mein, Tempura Prawns, Egg Rolls and Sweet and sour Pork. It was delicious! Buried in carbs! And an eye opener for me that for sure told me my body no longer works right on its own. BG before dinner 114. After we got home about an hour later 212. Several hours later it was 123. The good news is I did not eat everthing on my plate like I used to. Was it worth the spike? I would have to say once or twice per year... Yes!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Congrats on your anniversary! Have I ever eaten something I knew was going to spike me? Sure...we are human and this is life :) At least it came down pretty quickly so thats a good thing :) Sometimes when I do that it prompts me to spend a bit of time on my elliptical after dinner...sort of "paying the piper" so to speak!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yeah, I kind of had this experience as well this weekend. My girlfriend and I went out to dinner with her family. We went to a mexican place here in town. I usually eat more carbs at lunch and very little carbs at dinner. However, this place has one of my favorite meals and the chips and salsa are, imho, very good. Luckily, I gave myself several extra units of insulin. I was 145 2 hours after but I almost didn't want to check because I figured it would be high. That's a very high number for me and I probably wouldn't have tested if my gf hadn't been bugging me constantly about it. :confused:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yeah, I kind of had this experience as well this weekend. My girlfriend and I went out to dinner with her family. We went to a mexican place here in town. I usually eat more carbs at lunch and very little carbs at dinner. However, this place has one of my favorite meals and the chips and salsa are, imho, very good. Luckily, I gave myself several extra units of insulin. I was 145 2 hours after but I almost didn't want to check because I figured it would be high. That's a very high number for me and I probably wouldn't have tested if my gf hadn't been bugging me constantly about it. :confused:
145 after a heavy carb laden mexican meal would be a win in my book :p I love it...thats why I dont eat it too often. Miserable really since I live in San Antonio where good mexican food is a staple diet around here!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
My big worry with that, though, is that I will get inured to seeing high numbers ... even knowing an A1c is coming up!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Last summer on my birthday we went out to a fancy restaurant in Pittsburg. I was so good at dinner until the dessert menu came. They had my favorite - carrot cake. I knew I shouldn't but WTH, I did. I ordered it and shared with my DIL. 2 hour number was 160 even though I did lots of walking after dinner. But boy it tasted good. Our anniversary is in February- 34 years. We usually go out to a steak or fish place. I have finally learned to swap out potatoes or rice for a second veggie.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
... a BIG congratulations on your anniversary! Sounds like you enjoyed dinner!

I can't imagine eating that right now, lol. Hopefully when I get my BG's under control I can have the rare treat like that.

Oh, and you're lucky to live in Sandpoint. That's beautiful country. I go through it often whenever I drive down from Alberta to visit a friend of mine in Tri-Cities area of Washington... it's beautiful.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The more examples y'all give, the more I realize I'm tempted by just about ANYTHING that doesn't bite me first! lol! Chinese, Mexican, Japanese (omg SUSHI!). And yep, I think it's worth it once or twice a year! Oh how I do love to eat! heheh! :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
spike

well christmas was a bit spiky for me :)but in these periods i just check with the meter a bit more, and as always with all foods its a learning curve

·
Registered
57 Posts
well christmas was a bit spiky for me :)but in these periods i just check with the meter a bit more, and as always with all foods its a learning curve
just as Ive mentioned at my web site, low sugar and weight loss go hand in hand. Eating at restaurants can be daunting- so much good food-{gg}

but as I published for both purposes
less calories and less sugar

EAT LESS -EAT LESS- EAT LESS

Ive lost 30 lbs but now at a plateau @170

It happens that way for a while, and without realizing it, I notice that ive suddenly lost 5 lbs, BUT NOT YET so far, but Im sure it will happen.

those restaurant dinners are killers, but catching up later at home is where Im heading

Im also taking a water soluble compound,
which helps me get full faster and stay full longer

more later
Jaywiz

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I actually did pretty well during christmas really...I used more insulin than I normally do, but I stayed in control of my blood sugar, which is what really matters ultimately :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts