The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum! I'm so glad to have found this website. My name is Crystal and I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes on Tuesday, Nov. 29. I am now taking Metformin and trying to make sense of my new life. I look forward to getting to know you all. There's a lot to learn, and this forum seems to be a great place to dive in.

See you around!

Crystal:)

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum Crystal - glad you joined us.

I remember being fresh off the boat with my diagnosis too - was a bewildering time, filled with plenty of changes and steep learning curve. The good news is - you'll come out the other side, and possibly feeling better than you have in a while, depending on your health and numbers. Mine were dreadful, so the changes I made reaped significant rewards.

If you've poked around here much, you know we recommend reading bloodsugar101.com which has a wealth of information, all backed by cited studies.

How did you find out you have diabetes? Routine blood test, or ...?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome Crystal. DF is a great forum for support. The good thing is Diabetes is manageable with a few tweaks in lifestyle, diet, exercise and possibly medication. Metformin is a great med but it may take a few weeks to fully work. Also if you are having any stomach problems make sure you ask for the Extended Version of Metformin. If you haven't already seen this site, check out
Blood Sugar 101 it really helped me understand my disease.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welcome Chrystal,

I also "wandered in the wilderness" for many years before finding this site. There is so much confusing/contradictory info out there, it is very refreshing to get info from actual diabetics.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the machine!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hi, Crystal. Before finding this forum, I was wrestling with my diet and wondering why my bg wouldn't go down. The advice given here got me on the right track PDQ. Reading prior posts will give you a world of information. If you have any questions, ask away.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I dont know if it's a helpfull analogy, but I picture diabetes like trying to keep of bucket of water from over flowing. Non diabetics have a magic bucket that never over flows no matter what you chuck into it, but a diabetic bucket does not drain quickly enough

I know if it does not over flow I wont get any of the nastier complications.

Medication, losing weight, excercise all help the bucket to drain faster, but the real control we have is controlling the amount of water flooding into the bucket.

This means controlling the amount and quality of carbohydrates we eat, so time getting to know how much of these you can process withought over flowing your bucket is time well spent :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts