The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I finished the chapter on Exercise in Dr Bernstein's book and he mentioned about Anaerobic exercise. Somewhere in that chapter he says Anaerobic exercise is great for BG control because in the absence of oxygen it burns glucose and also reduces stored glycogen. But he also mentions that Anaerobic exercise is not for fat loss.

I've been using the Fox and Haskell formula to keep my exercise in the Anaerobic zone for about 45 minutes

Anaerobic exercise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:Exercise zones.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BG control has been phenomenal, nothing like earlier. Hardly a reading over 100 even after meals.

I like this form of exercise....But my concern is since fat is not being burned will my weight loss stall ??

Any of you guys aware of this concept ?

Tony

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Tony,

My resident expert (aka Judy) says that you have a point

Anaerobic exercise will persuade your body to burn sugar. If you push yourself the way your single minded attitude tells me you will, it may cause you to feel hypo(ish). Judy does a lot of endurance training an that is what she found with herself - she was tempted to sports drinks and high carb fruit. She deliberately made sure that my exercise was brisk walking, not running whether I was outside or on the treadmill.

With your figures, you don't need the sugar burn of anaerobic exercise. Just keep on with your present aerobic workouts. Judy tells me that if you do want to do the odd anaerobic session, limit it to once or at most twice a week.

I mentioned a while ago, I do expect your weight loss to slow down from your three pounds a week to around one. And that's only because you're doing so well on that front.

John

·
Registered
800 Posts
If you really want to step the exercise up, raise your metabolic rate and burn off excess glucose, in the minimum amount of time you could try the following;

HIIT (High intensity interval training), twice a week, no more than 25 minutes per session, walking warm up 10 mins then (walk 1 min then run/or walk as fast as you can for 30 seconds) repeat, allow 5 mins for a walking cool down.
Please note that HIIT is harder on your body than anaerobic exercise and raises metabolic rate for up to 24 hours. Do not do HIIT training on consecutive days.

Weight training 3 times a week. Use machines, dumb bells or body weight exercises.

30 min walk daily - aerobic zone.

Yoga or stretching daily if possible.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Judy, I really really appreciate you coming here to answer my question. John has helped me a lot over the last few months and he is lucky to have you by his side. I've heard great things about you time to time.

Thanks for your comments on my exercise issue. The HIIT also sounds interesting and I will research on this further. My exercise is on a elliptical cross trainer. Just to understand the method correctly :-

A session of 25 minutes broken up as follows

1. Start 10 minutes warm up.
2. 7 times X [60 seconds normal speed/effort + 30 seconds high intensity speed and resistance]
3. Then 5 minutes slow down.

Questions
1. Have I got it correct ?
2. Is 30 minute daily aerobic cardio is over and above this 25 minutes ?
3. Any precautions while doing HITT ? For e.g. Dr Bersteins suggests never to do a hard stop on anaerobic exercise for the fear of pressure on the heart
4. Can I still include anaerobic exercise ? I really like it. Seems to be effective. Any dangers here ?
5. Is it dangerous to keep exercising at anaerobic heart rate levels for 45 minutes continuously ? It seems to be doing wonders to my BG. I've got two readings in the 70's which is a first for me !

Thanks again. I really appreciate you coming here for me

If you really want to step the exercise up, raise your metabolic rate and burn off excess glucose, in the minimum amount of time you could try the following;

HIIT (High intensity interval training), twice a week, no more than 25 minutes per session, walking warm up 10 mins then (walk 1 min then run/or walk as fast as you can for 30 seconds) repeat, allow 5 mins for a walking cool down.
Please note that HIIT is harder on your body than anaerobic exercise and raises metabolic rate for up to 24 hours. Do not do HIIT training on consecutive days.

Weight training 3 times a week. Use machines, dumb bells or body weight exercises.

30 min walk daily - aerobic zone.

Yoga or stretching daily if possible.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hi Judy, I really really appreciate you coming here to answer my question. John has helped me a lot over the last few months and he is lucky to have you by his side. I've heard great things about you time to time.

Thanks for your comments on my exercise issue. The HIIT also sounds interesting and I will research on this further. My exercise is on a elliptical cross trainer. Just to understand the method correctly :-

A session of 25 minutes broken up as follows

1. Start 10 minutes warm up.
2. 7 times X [60 seconds normal speed/effort + 30 seconds high intensity speed and resistance]
3. Then 5 minutes slow down.

Questions
1. Have I got it correct ?
2. Is 30 minute daily aerobic cardio is over and above this 25 minutes ?
3. Any precautions while doing HITT ? For e.g. Dr Bersteins suggests never to do a hard stop on anaerobic exercise for the fear of pressure on the heart
4. Can I still include anaerobic exercise ? I really like it. Seems to be effective. Any dangers here ?
5. Is it dangerous to keep exercising at anaerobic heart rate levels for 45 minutes continuously ? It seems to be doing wonders to my BG. I've got two readings in the 70's which is a first for me !

Thanks again. I really appreciate you coming here for me

Yes. That is correct. Remember or decrease effort if at any time you feel queasy, or your chest hurts. It is supposed to be difficult but not cause problems.

Sorry I don't haunt the forums. I leave you ladies and gents to John most of the time. He must have missed this post.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. That is correct. Remember or decrease effort if at any time you feel queasy, or your chest hurts. It is supposed to be difficult but not cause problems.

Sorry I don't haunt the forums. I leave you ladies and gents to John most of the time. He must have missed this post.

Thanks for coming back on this Judy !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts