The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing they didn't get their volunteers from this forum :)

Cutting Calories to 500 per Day Reduces Need for Insulin

This one was for T2s on insulin, and there is no suggestion of reversal, but most of them were able to stop insulin. They were on the 500 calories a day diet for 4 months.

Thought it was interesting, and had something to understand even if a person isn't interested in doing that. Taking off some weight improves everything I can measure about diabetes, and I'm a skinny diabetic.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
So if they immediately recognized "that patients were able to come off insulin on the first day of the diet solely because of the diminished carbohydrate load" (emphasis mine), I can't help wondering why the continued insistence on the extreme calorie reduction. They'd have continued losing weight on higher calories, still because of the diminished carbohydrate load.

Despite their references to the short duration of the experiment, etc., four months is a long damn time to be on only 500 calories per day. If the docs had their diets restricted so much, they'd have hollered to high heaven. I guess these patients are paid pretty well for their trouble, eh?

·
Registered
782 Posts
This reminds me of what I read somewhere about early treatments for diabetes. Hold on while I find it . . . looking . . . okay, got it:

From Starvation Treatment of Diabetes, written in 1917, as quoted on the ADA website (SOURCE):

“Forty-eight hours after admission to the hospital the patient is kept on ordinary diet, to determine the severity of his diabetes. Then he is starved, and no food allowed save whiskey and black coffee. [W]hiskey is given in the coffee: 1 ounce of whiskey every two hours, from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. This furnishes roughly about 800 calories. The whiskey is not an essential part of the treatment: it merely furnishes a few calories and keeps the patient more comfortable while he is being starved.”

I hope the volunteers in the more recent study got their whiskey. They certainly deserve it! :p

Reactions: Shanny and moon

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Are you kidding me? The so-called "starvation treatment" of 1917 was much more compassionate - and it probably not only worked better while they were there, but sent them home with a workable diet they could live on (averaging around 2000 calories per day!). If you read those cases, they only "starved" for 2 or 3 days. And, if they didn't like whiskey they could use beef broth every two hours instead. These poor saps in the OP were starved for FOUR MONTHS.

IMO, its ABUSE.

This reminds me of what I read somewhere about early treatments for diabetes. Hold on while I find it . . . looking . . . okay, got it:

From Starvation Treatment of Diabetes, written in 1917, as quoted on the ADA website (SOURCE):

“Forty-eight hours after admission to the hospital the patient is kept on ordinary diet, to determine the severity of his diabetes. Then he is starved, and no food allowed save whiskey and black coffee. [W]hiskey is given in the coffee: 1 ounce of whiskey every two hours, from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. This furnishes roughly about 800 calories. The whiskey is not an essential part of the treatment: it merely furnishes a few calories and keeps the patient more comfortable while he is being starved.”

I hope the volunteers in the more recent study got their whiskey. They certainly deserve it! :p

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 4 of 4 Posts