The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
I've always been baffled at how people eating their traditional foods cope with diabetes...my mother was Russian but born in China and we certainly had rice every day...but living in Australia made eating low carb easier I'm sure...imagine living in say Pakistan where the majority of the population is very poor there would be virtually no chance of ditching rice...

India is one of the fastest growing economies in the world...maybe it's that changing lifestyle that is the problem...more take-aways...less sitting down together for meals...

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Reactions: foxl
G

·
Interesting that the article said that 7 percent who had diabetes were unaware of it. The poster in my local path collection centre claims that 'up to 50 percent' of people in Australia with T2 diabetes are unaware of it.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've always been baffled at how people eating their traditional foods cope with diabetes...my mother was Russian but born in China and we certainly had rice every day...but living in Australia made eating low carb easier I'm sure...imagine living in say Pakistan where the majority of the population is very poor there would be virtually no chance of ditching rice...

India is one of the fastest growing economies in the world...maybe it's that changing lifestyle that is the problem...more take-aways...less sitting down together for meals...
Yes, exactly D33na, they DON'T. At the Indian grocer the other day I saw a multitude of Ayurvedic medications for D. And apparently they are permitted to state that it "restores blood sugar to normal levels?" So even when diagnosed, people swallow pills and never test, and never know ... :(

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
A diet with 60 - 70% of calories from carbohydrates is certainly a difficult starting point and and even more difficult go-forward plan for prevention and alleviation of diabetes. However, I believe something else is the PRIME cause of increased diabetes in India and other places and it is the same as here in the US.

It is the huge shift away from both natural and saturated fats in favor of either too little fat overall or heavy replacement of the aforementioned with highly processed oils, PUFAs and extremely high Omega 6 vs. Omega 3 oils.

ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS
Recent evidence suggests that attention must be paid to the intake of essential fatty acids (EFAs) such as omega-6 (w6) and omega-3 (w3) fatty acids.

These EFAs make to be derived from food and cannot be made in the body.

Not only must they be eaten in adequate amounts, but the relative ratio is around 4:1.

Indian diets usually contain too much of w6 fatty acids and little, if any, of w3 fatty acids. This is due to the fact that most foods are rich in w6 fatty acids and poor in w3 fatty acids which is mostly found in fish.

Indian diets usually give a ratio of around 40:1.

The disproportionate ratio is made worse by the use of the so called "safe" cooking oils such as safflower oil and sunflower oil, in which the ratio is around 150:1!

If this ratio is to be brought down to near optimal levels, then it would be essential to do a RETHINK about the advised mode of cooking media, and possibly revert to our traditional cooking media, which although they may not contain w3 fatty acids, also are poor in w6 fatty acids.

Although these traditional cooking media like mustard oil, coconut oil and ghee may be relatively high in their saturated fat content, their poor content of w6 fatty acids allows a more optimal w6/w3 intake, especially when associated with increased w3 intake in the form of fish or w3 supplements.

The saturated fat content of these cooking media are offset by the benefits of the more optimal w6/w3 intake, especially if the total use of the cooking media is minimised.

This change over to some of the more traditional cooking media, accompanied by the use of as little as possible of the cooking medium, allows a diet with a ratio of around 8:1 which is close to optimal.

This is the biggest, most obvious and most plausibly related to the diabetes epidemic in India.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Yup. Thanks to Junk Food industry India and even China is feeling the heat. JUNK FOOD Vampires and "Diet ...." crap they are making inroads into India and TV Ads are polluting the PRIME TIME on idiot box. Finally the Drug Lords will enter for the final "loot".
Sorry,
I have to protest about the redundancy of your post. The two phrases I've highlighted describe the same folk! They get us coming and going and the sooner we wake up to their game, the sooner we will start to repair the damage. (If we ever can!:() John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts