The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I chose this pump, because I've been a diabetic for 23 years, and I really like the OneTouch meter (I have several), and the Ping comes with a OneTouch meter. I vary rarely have to even touch the pump except when changing my infusion sets, maybe every 2 or 3 days. Otherwise I always use the meter to give myself my boluses, as they are connected to each other with infrared. So, since I have to check my blood any way, why not just use the meter to give myself a bolus through the pump.

And I love pumping because, why give yourself several shots a day, when you can connect the infusion set every 2 to 3 days, and I have better control of the insulin.

See Ya,
John

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi John:

Thanks for the good write-up. That's interesting that you use the meter to give your bolus. I'll have to look more closely at the picture that is posted about it here. I figured it was smaller than the tubed pumps. But if the meter is attached to it then it would be a bit bigger. Or perhaps the meter is separate. Thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Terrie, I think the meter is separate. John said they were connected by infrared. I think pumps are so awesome for those needing to take insulin. What a giant step forward for diabetics.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi John:

Thanks for the good write-up. That's interesting that you use the meter to give your bolus. I'll have to look more closely at the picture that is posted about it here. I figured it was smaller than the tubed pumps. But if the meter is attached to it then it would be a bit bigger. Or perhaps the meter is separate. Thanks.
The meter is separate, I just carry my meter in my pocket, as I wear my pump. The meter talks to the pump up to 10 feet away. That is how I give myself a bolus, I check my blood with the meter (which one has to do anyway), then if I need a bolus, the meter talks to the pump, and the pump delivers it.

See Ya,
John

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
John, what if another person has the same setup that you do and they bolus by using their meter while sitting less than 10 feet from you. Will that activate your pump? I suppose your meter has been programmed so that it will talk only to your pump and the other person's meter will only talk to their pump. Is that how it works? Just curious. Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John, what if another person has the same setup that you do and they bolus by using their meter while sitting less than 10 feet from you. Will that activate your pump? I suppose your meter has been programmed so that it will talk only to your pump and the other person's meter will only talk to their pump. Is that how it works? Just curious. Thanks!
Unless there are two pumps with the same serial number it can't happen.

One basically marries their meter to their pump, just like in bluetooth. One discovers their pump with their meter, so the meter and the pump can talk to each other.

See Ya,
John

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hey John:

Since the Ping and meter are separate have you ever left the meter part at home? Or do you worry about leaving it somewhere else?

Also can you wear the Ping in the shower or while swimming and not have to worry about wrecking it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey John:

Since the Ping and meter are separate have you ever left the meter part at home? Or do you worry about leaving it somewhere else?

Also can you wear the Ping in the shower or while swimming and not have to worry about wrecking it.
No, the meter is always with me, or my wife (in her purse).

The ping is listed as waterproof to 12 feet for 24 hours, so you could take a shower with it, or swim , but I don't. I just unhook the inset, and go from there. What is left on your body is waterproof. You can either cover it, or not. But there (as in other inset's) is a one way valve in what's left on your body.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Wow, 24 hours. I didn't think they could be submerged for anywhere close to that time. Oh okay, you're right. Just disconnecting would make more sense, if you were planning on getting wet.

People sometimes get pushed into pools unexpectedly. That or something similar is what some People are concerned about. Non-pumpers wouldn't even consider the pump before they pushed. Thanks for that info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do any other Ping users have problems with their remotes? I know that it says that it can talk to your pump up to 10 meters, but a lot of times, mine have to be right next to eachother (a foot or so) in order to talk. It's kinda annoying...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got the ping!! LOVE

Just wanted to share my excitement with everyone as I just go my new ping and I love it!! Iv always had an animas pump so converting over was super easy. I love how I never have to touch my pump! So convenient! But not only that I love how advanced the meter is. I live seeing the charted graphs that it provides. Great feedback! Go Ping!!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Just think of how lucky we are to be living in this day and age when there is such a thing as an insulin pump. I've had my pump less than 6 months and I wish I had done it sooner. Good for you Kelly2121

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I know a few people who began pumping in the late 1970s, when pumps were first available, and they lived to tell about. :)

Those pumps were very large and heavy. Some of them had to be carried in a backpack. They were a big help to people who could not get any resemblance of good control with injections.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.