The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does it mean when you tell people you have been diagnosed with diabetes, and they don't say anything?:confused:

·
Registered
370 Posts
What do you want them to say????? Looking for sympathy ????

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
That they are smart enough to know that they do not know enough to say anything?

I would think I am sorry would be appropriate, though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you want them to say????? Looking for sympathy ????
Well, when my friends or relatives told me of a serious disease, i say oh, i am sorry, i hope you get good medical advice (or something). When they say nothing, and they are close, i wonder if they think it's fatal, at least it's not polite.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
What I try to do is say what I mean and mean what I say. If I don't have something to say, I often remain silent. I may be one of the ones guilty of the behavior you describe, Irene.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I try to do is say what I mean and mean what I say. If I don't have something to say, I often remain silent. I may be one of the ones guilty of the behavior you describe, Irene.
When you don't say anything, there is a lack of communication. It could be for example, that someone very close but not knowing, thinks you will die, but does not understand the disease. That's my curiousity. Anyway, it's just a curiousity of social interaction, that's all.

Tx for your reply.

·
Registered
137 Posts
What does it mean when you tell people you have been diagnosed with diabetes, and they don't say anything?:confused:
Why don't you ask them? Not only are you expecting them to be psychic but us too. Remember, a person without expectations is never disappointed.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
When you don't say anything, there is a lack of communication. It could be for example, that someone very close but not knowing, thinks you will die, but does not understand the disease. That's my curiousity. Anyway, it's just a curiousity of social interaction, that's all.

Tx for your reply.
If it's someone THAT close to me, I'll be asking them what ails them that they aren't commenting on what ails ME! But as for filling in all empty air space, I'm not afraid of silence - I think tacit communication is one of the best kinds. If my sister's husband has just died unexpectedly, I don't expect I would have any words, but I would surely stay with her & hold her closely while she grieved.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's someone THAT close to me, I'll be asking them what ails them that they aren't commenting on what ails ME! But as for filling in all empty air space, I'm not afraid of silence - I think tacit communication is one of the best kinds. If my sister's husband has just died unexpectedly, I don't expect I would have any words, but I would surely stay with her & hold her closely while she grieved.
In some situations, i suppose physical communication has a definite meaning. I guess i'm verbal in most situations, like this one :).

Jokes:

Body language:

How the top guns communicate:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bet they just don't know what to say. Was it in email, or in person?
In mail, in person and phone - very close people. Some won't even mention the word. I just found it odd. In one case the relative's grandmother and uncle died of it, so that's why i thought they not being diabetic, thought it was like announcing cancer. Things have changed over the past 10 yrs. or so in diabetes treatment. They may have been more scared than I was, but still a word or two would have been "normal" for me.

I maybe be presumptuous about what the common man knows or does not know about diabetes. Or maybe they just don't think it's a big deal. They are all friends and relatives who love me.

Anyway, i love your tiger

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I really don't think the average person knows anything about Diabetes. Before I was dx'd I have to admit I was clueless, too. I had all the misconceptions that the rest of the world carries. I'm not sure what response you were hoping for. Yes, I have diabetes but I don't want people to feel sorry for me. All sorts of people are dealing with diseases many much more serious than Diabetes. Yes, Diabetes is for life but the good thing is it can be managed very sucessfully with a few tweaks in diet, exercise, medication and insulin. Most of us lead very normal lives. Quite personally, I don't tell a lot of people I have diabetes and if they find out they are quite shocked. They always say you don't look like a diabetic. That is why I don't tell people.

Reactions: MCS and Daytona

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really don't think the average person knows anything about Diabetes. Before I was dx'd I have to admit I was clueless, too. I had all the misconceptions that the rest of the world carries. I'm not sure what response you were hoping for. Yes, I have diabetes but I don't want people to feel sorry for me. All sorts of people are dealing with diseases many much more serious than Diabetes. Yes, Diabetes is for life but the good thing is it can be managed very sucessfully with a few tweaks in diet, exercise, medication and insulin. Most of us lead very normal lives. Quite personally, I don't tell a lot of people I have diabetes and if they find out they are quite shocked. They always say you don't look like a diabetic. That is why I don't tell people.
I think you're right jwags; it may be a good idea to tell medical staff though if you need treatment of some sort.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
When I have told some people that I had Diabetes, the ones that do not say anything are the ones that suspect they may also have it. Especially the ones that have a nice well formed beer belly. Because I go on to tell them that more than likely that well formed beer belly is insulin resistance at work. Lowering your testosterone, making estrogen, and leading you down a one way road. Usually gets them talking after that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I have told some people that I had Diabetes, the ones that do not say anything are the ones that suspect they may also have it. Especially the ones that have a nice well formed beer belly. Because I go on to tell them that more than likely that well formed beer belly is insulin resistance at work. Lowering your testosterone, making estrogen, and leading you down a one way road. Usually gets them talking after that.
Maybe it's a good alarm bell to get checked in that case, esp. if the age is similar.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts