The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do doctors make you feel like you caused your diabetes because your over weight? And why do they assume that you'll get it eventually because you are over weight?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Why do doctors make you feel like you caused your diabetes because your over weight? And why do they assume that you'll get it eventually because you are over weight?
My doc has never insinuated that, but if he ever did, I think I would put on my assertive face and tell him I categorically refuse to accept that. There is no scientific evidence of such, and evidence to the contrary is actually mounting . . . that insulin resistance comes first & causes the weight gain. Or you could just give 'im this
. . . he deserves it, doncha y'think? ;)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Diabetes is frustrating. They do not know what causes it and they have NO CLUE how to treat it .... so the best they can do is blame us, and claim we are non-compliant.

It's a crappy little culture they have created for themselves.

Of COURSE not all docs are like that ... I am referring to the ones who are.

And please, find yourself one who isn't!!!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The answer is easy: Because it's what they're taught in Medical School. Even to this day. Period. Even in the face of all the evidence to the contrary.

Until a change is made politically regarding what doctors are being taught, it won't change.

At least there are SOME doctors that keep up with what's current, but most, sadly, do not.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If that is what your doctor insinuated to you, then next time you see him ask him "why do thin people get diabetes"? My Mother was 5 ft 3 inches, weighed 115 lbs soaking wet and yet she got type 2 diabetes....I'm sure she was asking WHY??

It is like the others have said, Doctors don't know diddly on what causes it and a lot of them act like they are God when it comes to treating it. If I was you, I would ignore comments like that from a doctor. :)

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I am a believer that it was caused mainly by lifestyle and choices we made and that at least for a majority of us is what the evidence supports.

HOWEVER a more accurate characterization - and a possible good retort to you doctor - would be, "YES, because you jerks told us to cut natural fats and eat 'healthy' whole grains for the last 40 years! We obeyed you and this is the result."

Reactions: Daytona and Shanny

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
HOWEVER a more accurate characterization - and a possible good retort to you doctor - would be, "YES, because you jerks told us to cut natural fats and eat 'healthy' whole grains for the last 40 years! We obeyed you and this is the result."
Though I was diagnosed when I was overweight, looking at old lab results I actually was diabetic when I was a skinnie minnie years earlier. It wasn't until I went on a "heart healthy diet" low in fat and high in "complex carbs" that I packed on the pounds. When I was finally diagnosed, the doctor blamed by weight and said it would be reversed if I just bothered to lose the extra pounds.

I have dreams about confronting the jerk doctor who decided my LDL was too high and got me started on that quack diet in the first place...

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
they are idiots

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Heidi, I have never encountered a doctor who told me that because I was over weight that I was diabetic. I proved to them that even with losing weight my diabetes did not get better. Of course that is when I was eating low fat and "healthy" grains. I still have not lost weight since beginning this low carb/high fat diet, but I was also put back on insulin and was told I would gain weight from it. So, I am struggling to keep weight gain to a minimum, and actually trying to lose if possible. Some doctors are just so arrogant though that I cannot stomach going back to them. If I have a question regarding my health, diet, diabetes, whatever they are supposedly the experts and we are taught to trust our doctors, but if they cannot answer my question then I don't go back to them. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree also I know remeber when I was alot thiner and not over weight having what i know now are syptoms of diabetes like the exessive thirst, head aches etc and It wasnt until I was put on antideppresive meds that I put weight on and and a year later ended up in the er cause i had a sever head ache that they found sugar in my urine finally someone figured out what was wrong because my doc at the time never bothered to check for it even though I have a family history of mom, moms mom amd moms brother have it and just like me they were all dx in their early 30's and were not over weight. Guess it was just handed down to me

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I agree that most of the medical community is taught that overweight people get diabetes and by losing weight you will improve your diabetes. When I was dx'd I was a touch overweight at 148, but I was a vegetarian and worked out 2-3 hours most days. So I was very fit and muscular. When the doctor looked at my HbA1c of over 10, he said maybe you should lose weight and exercise more. I really don't think they even consider other things may cause your diabetes besides overeating foods. Once I started to test a lot I found out I spiked when I didn't eat the proper balance of fat, protein and carbs. My fastings are always highest because my liver decides to kick in and dump glucose. Of course we have no control of what our organs we do. I am sick and tired of this guilt trip many of us are put on. Meanwhile I look around the doctor's offices and see oveweight nurses, doctors, lab techs and CDE's. Why are we the ones being felt bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts