The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ATTENTION ALL BAKERS AND COOKS. Does anyone know what the conversion facture on almond flour is? For instance, my sister has an alternative chocolate chip cookies recipe that she wants to make, if the recipe calls for 2 cups of regular flour, then would you use 2 cups of almond flour?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
ATTENTION ALL BAKERS AND COOKS. Does anyone know what the conversion facture on almond flour is? For instance, my sister has an alternative chocolate chip cookies recipe that she wants to make, if the recipe calls for 2 cups of regular flour, the would you use 2 cups of almond flour?
If you have the option, I'd use 1C of almond flour with 1C of Wheat Gluten.

When I used strictly almond flour vs. all-purpose in recipes, it didn't work as well, but I didn't experiment with the ratio.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have the option, I'd use 1C of almond flour with 1C of Wheat Gluten.

When I used strictly almond flour vs. all-purpose in recipes, it didn't work as well, but I didn't experiment with the ratio.
Where do you get wheat gluten? Does it taste good?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Where do you get wheat gluten? Does it taste good?
I got mine at a natural/bulk food place here. Netrition sells it as well. Much like flour, it doesn't seem to taste like anything...

Edit: Amazon is selling a massive 3.5lb tin for $13.99

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Vital wheat gluten is just the protein part of the wheat kernel - all the starch & the bran has been removed. It doesn't have much taste to speak of. I've always been able to find it in the baking aisle of all the grocery stores around here, but if I want to lay in a big supply, I order online.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I would take a look at some low carb recipes for cookies. Usually I see a mixture of the Almond meal with other things like whey powder, flaxseed, coconut flour, etc. I have Dana Carpenders cookbooks and I know she has a low carb chocolate chip cookie recipe. I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would take a look at some low carb recipes for cookies. Usually I see a mixture of the Almond meal with other things like whey powder, flaxseed, coconut flour, etc. I have Dana Carpenders cookbooks and I know she has a low carb chocolate chip cookie recipe. I'll see if I can find it.
That would be great jwags! I miss chocolate chip cookies!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
This is from Dana Carpender 500 Low Carb Recipes

Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups Splenda
1 1/2 t molasses
2 eggs
1 cup ground almonds or almond meal
1 cup vanilla whey powder
1/4 cup oat bran
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
12 oz sugar free chocolate chips
(I would use some 85% dark chocolate like Lindts chopped up)

Mix ingredients. Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes. Each cookie is about 3 carb grams depending on the chocolate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts