The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I was diagnosed March 3rd 2011, fasting BG was 8.4 and A1C was 9.7. About a couple weeks before that I actually thought I was going crazy, lucky me, it wasn't me going crazy I got blessed with diabetes. I weighed 280 at the time of diagnoses and now I am 235. All this by just diet change and walking, I haven't really gotten into the exercise yet. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old so maybe that is good exercise.

Also, since then I have felt like crap and have a constant pain in my chest, I went to the hospital 2 times and my doc keeps telling me I'm fine, it's not your heart. WEll it's driving me crazy. I was recently diagnosed with a slight reflux, so I pray that's it.

I just hope it gets better, I know it's tough still to process but I am pretty much there and have educated myself a lot on diabetes.

Just wanted to say hi and I'll be on here watching and helping when I can.

See Ya.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum, PC76! I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic when you said you were blessed with diabetes, or if like you meant it literally. I'm guessing the later, but if not I think you'll get there.

Congrats on the weight loss! I'm surprised you aren't feeling more energy from the 45-lb loss. The feeling like crap you mention - is that only the chest pain or do you have other symptoms? Unfortunately, I have no input to offer on the chest pain - hope it resolves itself soon. I do know that GERD can cause a chest pain, did your doc mention that? Are you taking any medication for it that gives you some relief?

Glad you're here and will be interested in following the resolution of your symptoms (see how positive we are?) :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Moon,

I did mean that, it has showed me how to take care of myself and has made our family to eat porperly. My kids will now be raised eating a balanced meal and not McDonalds.

I should be feeling better but I am alway tired, that could be the life of a father of a 1 year old also. It is mostly the chest pain that keeps me feeling like crap and thinking I feel like crap, not sure which one. Belive it or not, my osteopath told me that, I had to ask my Doc for an opper GI. I have been 4 times for my chest pain over 7 months and thay have done nothing. The medication does help a bit, the last few days I have felt nauseous and really gassy.

And thank you, I appreciate that.

Welcome to the forum, PC76! I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic when you said you were blessed with diabetes, or if like you meant it literally. I'm guessing the later, but if not I think you'll get there.

Congrats on the weight loss! I'm surprised you aren't feeling more energy from the 45-lb loss. The feeling like crap you mention - is that only the chest pain or do you have other symptoms? Unfortunately, I have no input to offer on the chest pain - hope it resolves itself soon. I do know that GERD can cause a chest pain, did your doc mention that? Are you taking any medication for it that gives you some relief?

Glad you're here and will be interested in following the resolution of your symptoms (see how positive we are?) :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
My husband has had acid reflux for about 20 years, and sometimes the chest pain was pretty severe. There were times he thought he was having a heart attack, so they did a lower GI on him and that is how he found out what the problem was. Since we started eating low carb after he was diagnosed with Diabetes about 6 months ago, he no longer has the pains, even when he eats things that use to make it flare up, like raw onions. He no longer takes meds for it, for the first time in years, but it does occasionally flare up when he gets very upset or angry about something, then stops when he calms down.

My son-in-law also had acid reflux, but it cleared up after he lost weight. My husband also lost weight on low carb so I don't know if it was the diet or the weight loss or both.

Good luck with all this and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, PC76. You'll have to tell your doc that just because your heart is fine, doesn't mean there can't be a pain in your chest. Lots of other vital parts inhabit your chest! Since he's established to his satisfaction that your heart is fine, he now needs to continue doing what he gets paid for and find what IS the problem! My goodness!

My experience is the same as many others though - eating low-carb has essentially eliminated any problems I had with indigestion/reflux/heartburn.

Congratulations on your weight loss and good luck getting a diagnosis for your chest pain.

Take care & visit us often!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed March 3rd 2011, fasting BG was 8.4 and A1C was 9.7. About a couple weeks before that I actually thought I was going crazy, lucky me, it wasn't me going crazy I got blessed with diabetes. I weighed 280 at the time of diagnoses and now I am 235. All this by just diet change and walking, I haven't really gotten into the exercise yet. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old so maybe that is good exercise.

Also, since then I have felt like crap and have a constant pain in my chest, I went to the hospital 2 times and my doc keeps telling me I'm fine, it's not your heart. WEll it's driving me crazy. I was recently diagnosed with a slight reflux, so I pray that's it.

I just hope it gets better, I know it's tough still to process but I am pretty much there and have educated myself a lot on diabetes.

Just wanted to say hi and I'll be on here watching and helping when I can.

See Ya.
Hi and welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll be able to get plenty of info here:D.
I also experience the chest pain due to acid reflux. Mostly at night and treat it using 75mg Zantac before bed.

Gene

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone

The weird thing is that I have been on a low carb diet since I was diagnosed. I eat about 15-30g per meal. Before that I was a car junkie. I'm trying to make an appointment with my doc this week and demanding to get to the bottom of this. Since this has started i have made up resons for the pain. I made up stuff in my mind that was wrong like a heart attack, cancer, lung disease, anxiety. I have really stressed myself out. I have 2 kids and an awesome wife, it is not fair to them how I have been.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also

I smoke, not a lot but 1 is too many. I smoke 6-10 a day.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Is your blood sugar running nice & low now? What are your postprandial readings looking like? Give us some numbers, PC! :D

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Shanny

My average BG over 3 months is 6.1. My fasting is normally 5.6 to 6. My last a1c was 6.6, that was 2 months ago. I have a blood test scheduled for the end of the month.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My average BG over 3 months is 6.1. My fasting is normally 5.6 to 6. My last a1c was 6.6, that was 2 months ago. I have a blood test scheduled for the end of the month.
So are you testing at home and around your meals? The postprandials are the most telling readings we get for knowing how we're REALLY processing our food.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am testing 2 hours after meals, usually once or twice a day.

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 12 of 12 Posts