The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is popcorn an acceptable food choice. The labels on it are very confusing. Does anyone know of a good site to enter a food to look up carbs in it. What is the amount of carbs that you eat? I eat Peanuts that are low in carbs but has carbs none the less.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think everyone will eat a differnt amount of carbs depending on their bg and how much weight you have to lose. I tend to eat on the lower carb side about 15-20 most meals. I don't eat popcorn or any snack food. If I am hungry I eat almonds, pecans, walnuts, cheese, raw veggies, etc. Dieticians like to say popcorn is a good snack food because it has fiber but it puts weight on me.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Is popcorn an acceptable food choice. The labels on it are very confusing. Does anyone know of a good site to enter a food to look up carbs in it. What is the amount of carbs that you eat? I eat Peanuts that are low in carbs but has carbs none the less.

I used to have a Blackberry phone that I downloaded a free Application on it and I could look up almost anything and it would tell me the carbs, etc etc. I changed phones here a month or so ago and have not looked for a new program on my Droid but am sure there is some out there. In fact I saw some where you can even input what you eat and keep logs and whatever you want. They can be exported to and Excel Spread sheet even. Maybe programs available.

As for popcorn, high in carbs is my understanding and when I used to eat it them were the days my BS would always be high. So thus I stay away from it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks again for the input from everyone!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
try calorieking.com I use it all the time. I love snacking on almonds. They are relatively low carb and packed full of heart healthy oils.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think popcorn is around 26 carbs a serving. I had a hard time sticking to one serving. Corn is what they use to fatten cattle so I don't see how it could be good for weight loss.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I haven't eaten popcorn since diagnosis . . . I just figure it's like any corn - very carby. And I try to not eat ANYthing that comes from corn - oil, syrup, anything.

Raw almonds are the gold standard over here - high fiber, low carb, and they take so much chewing that you really feel like you've eaten a full meal! :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
I haven't eaten popcorn since diagnosis . . . I just figure it's like any corn - very carby. And I try to not eat ANYthing that comes from corn - oil, syrup, anything.

Raw almonds are the gold standard over here - high fiber, low carb, and they take so much chewing that you really feel like you've eaten a full meal! :D
popcorn is generally ok for me usually don't get spikes w/ it but of course that is me your results may vary. I also love almonds/peanuts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts