The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was diagnosed type 2 around 1995. Treated with oral meds and diet until it seemed to stop working last yr. I fussed at myself for blowing it by poor diet control etc etc until last month a MD at the clinic I go to said "Sandy, Insulin is inevitable". I actually was somewhat relieved to lose a bit of the guilt with more research into insulin resistance, beta cells wearing out etc. and finding that Insulin is not something to fear, but help. :eek:Still working on that aspect!
I am still on Metformin 1000mg am and pm, I was started on NPH bedtime and NPH in am too Oct 28. On Nov 21st she stopped the NPH and I started Lantus 25mg at bedtime and titrating up to obtain a 'normal' fasting am BG. (I was up to 50 u NPH at bed and 45u in am) I'm around 200-226average right now, once a 179! (better than 300s and 400s I was 2 months ago) Also on the 21st I started Lispro at meals (10u) with testing 2 hrs b4 and 2 hr after. And test hs and am. :D a whole lotta stickin going on! After reading about Lispro I was a bit afraid 10 u might be too much and I have only tried 7 u. I've not had drops so maybe I should use 10. I am 56 yrs old, female, and sole caregiver for my Mom who has dementia/alzheimers disease. So, a bit of stress too, but we are managing as best we can. Due to this I can't work a job right now, so no insurance, no private MD. I am grateful that I qualified for this clinic I attend. However there is no dietician, so I really don't know gms of carbs I should have and I am learning to "count".:confused: They had a diabetic mgmt class b4 and I was shown the "plate" thing : 1/2 plate of vegs, 1/4 protein and 1/4 carb and 1 "carb" count was 15 gms. So I feel kind of lost here. Also the clinic gives 1 box of 50 test strips and allows 1 test daily even tho the Nurse Practioner orders more, so I am buying the cheapest I could find which is Walmarts reli-on. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. From what I have read a Pump sure sounds nice. (but expensive)Thanks
Sandy

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sandi,
After 12 years on pills, I went from an A1c of 7.1 to 8.7 in 3 months, as my pancreas developed what they call beta cell exhaustion.

2 years later I have a 5.1 A1c on insulin :)

-Lloyd

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Sandi,
After 12 years on pills, I went from an A1c of 7.1 to 8.7 in 3 months, as my pancreas developed what they call beta cell exhaustion.

2 years later I have a 5.1 A1c on insulin :)

-Lloyd
Thank you Lloyd for the encouragement. My last A1c was 10.5 which really surprised me. Guess I had my head buried in the sand or on another planet (denial)- I am looking forward to good control!
Sandy

·
Registered
147 Posts
SandiKae,

Welcome to the site.. WOW your sugars sound alot like mine where when they first diagnosed me... and they too had diagnosed me as Type II... come to find out I was actually a Type I .... Good luck to you -- and I know those highs are not that fun!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello!

Hello Sandy, welcome to our community! You will have very good control after you are adjusted to using insulin. I was diagnosed with Type 1 when I was 6 in 1945. I have now used insulin for 63 years and I am very healthy. With good control you will have a much better chance of living a long, healthy life without serious complications. Good luck to you!

Richard :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts