The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

My name is David. I am 36 years old and I was diagnosed T2 about a month ago. My A1C was 6.5 and my FBS was 127 I think. I currently take 500mg Metformin 1x daily before bed.

A little history about me.
Growing up, half my fathers family were diabetic. On my mothers side, my grandmother as well as 2 of my uncles were diabetic. My 2 uncles died from complications due to not taking care of themselves. They were both skinny diabetics like me. Visions of them wasting away scared the life out of me when I was diagnosed. I have come to terms now and am working hard at not letting it kill me.

Upon diagnosis, I went gung ho and completly fell into the "approved diet" rat hole. I hit the ADA site and started following the diet they recommend. That was a BAD idea. My BS started going through the roof. I became very frustrated and disgusted with this disease and couldn't figure out how I was going to control it.

Luckily, I stumbled upon this forum about a week ago through the app for android. What a god send. I immediatly cut my carbs to pretty much nothing and my BS responded wonderfully. I was once a boxer and was very strict about my carbs for making weight so I am not worried about cutting the carbs. I have found, however, that I can eat almost whatever I want if I have the time to jump rope after as it almost always keeps me within range.

Today I woke to a BS of 90. That is my lowest yet. I consider myself lucky we caught this early as I think I will have no problems controlling it with the info available on this forum.

I will quit rambling now but it is nice to have someone to say all this to. Nobody else seems to really care. I guess they just don't understand. So I would like to thank all of you for the help so far and I would also like to thank you all in advance for the help you will provide in the future. Once I get a handle on things, I plan to return the favor.

Reactions: nicku

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well David, I think you have a pretty good handle on this already, being's your diagnosis came only one month ago. You've already learned the ADA's dirty little secret, you've done an about-face, and you've reaped the rewards. Good work! You're already an asset to our forum.

I hope you'll be able to visit often - this is one friendly crew & we do like to get better acquainted. :D

Take care & thank you for joining us!

p.s. I heartily approve of your description of their approved diet "rat hole"! :D

G

·
Welcome to the forum, David. I was diagnosed last Saturday and I only lasted on the approved diet for two days before changing. :) I feel a lot better, my weight is coming down and I'm also seeing steady improvements in my test results.

They're great people here, very warm and welcoming.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the warm welcome. I will definatly be a permanent fixture here as I already visit this site multiple times a day (Lots to learn and I am a forum addict).

Ann,

I am glad to see you are making progress as well.

I wish I would have found out about the ADA earlier as I spent around 3 weeks in a rush of emotions wondering if I was worse than I thought because I was suddenly seeing numbers in the mid 200's to the mid 300's. Now that I know what I need to do, I am a happier person and have my focus back. I am a little concerned as I have lost 10 pounds just this week and I dont have any pounds to give. Also, putting on pounds is not something that comes easy for me. I am going to try adding more fat to my diet and see how that helps.

By the way, have I mentioned how good I feel right now. Best i've felt in some time.

Reactions: muck and Shanny

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I am going to try adding more fat to my diet and see how that helps.
That's the way to go, David. Just add a couple extra strips of bacon, a glug of heavy cream to your coffee, things like that. Full fat cheeses, if you're a cheese lover. How do you feel about pork rinds? Many folks here use them for snacks & even crush them up to use for breading other foods. They have not one carb in the whole bag.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I am a little concerned as I have lost 10 pounds just this week and I dont have any pounds to give.
I do! I do! There's no justice that I'm not able to share ...

You're off to such a solid roaring start it's astonishing. Good job!

Glad you landed here with us.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shanny said:
That's the way to go, David. Just add a couple extra strips of bacon, a glug of heavy cream to your coffee, things like that. Full fat cheeses, if you're a cheese lover. How do you feel about pork rinds? Many folks here use them for snacks & even crush them up to use for breading other foods. They have not one carb in the whole bag.
Thanks for the tips. I have never liked pork rinds but I have been eating a lot of things I don't like lately. At this point I have put a hold on eating for enjoyment. I now eat for survival. I am slowly finding ways to create enjoyable dishes from things I used to dislike(good for me). I will give the pork rinds a go though as I need more variety.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
moon said:
I do! I do! There's no justice that I'm not able to share ...

You're off to such a solid roaring start it's astonishing. Good job!

Glad you landed here with us.
Thanks moon. If I could take some I would.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I have never liked pork rinds but I have been eating a lot of things I don't like lately. At this point I have put a hold on eating for enjoyment. I now eat for survival. I am slowly finding ways to create enjoyable dishes from things I used to dislike(good for me). I will give the pork rinds a go though as I need more variety.
I was diagnosed in July and also ate things I didn't like. I forced myself to eat brussels sprouts. YUCK! The pork rinds do work really well with your favorite dips. I live in the South so we are big football fans and love our tailgating food. I don't go anywhere without WASA crackers or pork rinds so I won't feel left out. Please stick around this forum is very helpful!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hey David, Welcome to the forum. Great to see that things are working out so good for you immediately. Great work so far !
Stick around, you'll learn a lot and enjoy here too

Tony

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
welcome to the machine David!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello all.

My name is David. I am 36 years old and I was diagnosed T2 about a month ago. My A1C was 6.5 and my FBS was 127 I think. I currently take 500mg Metformin 1x daily before bed.

A little history about me.
Growing up, half my fathers family were diabetic. On my mothers side, my grandmother as well as 2 of my uncles were diabetic. My 2 uncles died from complications due to not taking care of themselves. They were both skinny diabetics like me. Visions of them wasting away scared the life out of me when I was diagnosed. I have come to terms now and am working hard at not letting it kill me.

Upon diagnosis, I went gung ho and completly fell into the "approved diet" rat hole. I hit the ADA site and started following the diet they recommend. That was a BAD idea. My BS started going through the roof. I became very frustrated and disgusted with this disease and couldn't figure out how I was going to control it.

Luckily, I stumbled upon this forum about a week ago through the app for android. What a god send. I immediatly cut my carbs to pretty much nothing and my BS responded wonderfully. I was once a boxer and was very strict about my carbs for making weight so I am not worried about cutting the carbs. I have found, however, that I can eat almost whatever I want if I have the time to jump rope after as it almost always keeps me within range.

Today I woke to a BS of 90. That is my lowest yet. I consider myself lucky we caught this early as I think I will have no problems controlling it with the info available on this forum.

I will quit rambling now but it is nice to have someone to say all this to. Nobody else seems to really care. I guess they just don't understand. So I would like to thank all of you for the help so far and I would also like to thank you all in advance for the help you will provide in the future. Once I get a handle on things, I plan to return the favor.
Good day to your David, I'm Nimrod from India, barely a week or so old as a member of this forum.

My fasting blood sugar was 249 after doing 1000mg metformin x2 a day when i visited the doc last Saturday, he cut me down to 500mg x2 + 1mg glymperide. I thought with medication ration cut to half how would that help. But thanks to this forum and the most valuable information i got, i was not in control mainly due to not being diet conscious or rather diabetic diet educated. From the valuable members and also from Mr Tony , I have learnt to go on Low carb and high fat/protien and vitamin diet. I just did that the 1st day an my fasting glucose went down instantly next morning to 79, a drop from 249 to 79 is more than 3times lower BG !!! Now I am seeing numbers everyday, fasting as well as after meals, that I have never seen in my 1 year of my diabetic life-time.

I hope it works out for you the same.....
I believe if i become a professional at my eating habits and recognizing what is good and bad for me, Maybe in the coming months i can live without the medications and probably just be in control with diet... That's my hope. :)

I'm sorry about the loss of your 2 uncles, Please dont be worried or scared at all. My grandma was diagnosed with T2 at the age of 32 and she lived all her life taking care of herself properly to live to a healthy age of 86!! She still was diabetic at 86, but I cant blame her for not being able to ride herself of T2.. as the information available and not having the knowledge of using the computer and internet for herself. I also told when i introduced myself that i was taking advice from a 90-year old man who was diabetic from youth, So if your taking care you can be sure your body can easily average to 80-90 or even 100 being diabetic!! :)

Have a blessed day and also wish me the same :)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
From the valuable members and also from Mr Tony , I have learnt to go on Low carb and high fat/protien and vitamin diet.
I never suggested high protein. While proportion of protein will increase a bit but don't go overboard on the protein. Compensate the loss of carbohydrates with fats.

"Mr" Tony :D

Reactions: nicku
1 - 14 of 14 Posts