The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

This is my first time here and I am so glad to find some information. I was only diagnosed 3 days ago and at this point I am terrified. I had to visit the ER for an unrelated matter and after having a urine test done, the nurse came in and asked if I was diabetic. I said, no. She advised that there were sugar crystals in my test and she was going to take my blood sugar reading. It read 15! So then blood work was ordered and I was seen by the doctor. He advised me that I was very likely type II diabetic, although I had had no symptoms, and that I should follow up with my family doctor. After giving me a prescription for infection, he sent me on my way.

Just after I got home, the hospital called and advised me that my blood test had shown a reading of 18, and therefore the doctor wanted me on medication right away. By this time I was reeling!!! So he prescribed Metformin twice a day and told me to tell my doctor about it when I see him next week. And that's where it has been left.

I am overwhelmed. I am scared to eat. I am scared to drink anything other than water, and the Metformin has left me feeling really icky and I am having headaches that I never have. My world feels like it has turned upside down!

I have no idea when I can see a dietician. I have no idea what to eat and when. I have been looking on the internet for two days and there is so much information and so much contradictory information that I don't know where to start. I just wish somebody would say, "Here, eat this and this and this, at this time of day, and this is what you should do". I have read "eat carbs", then I read "don't eat carbs", and then I read "eat protein" and the next thing says "watch how much protein you eat". How do I know???

Can somebody help me out and clarify things a bit? I have hardly eaten the last two days because I'm scared to and I know that isn't good. What do I do for snacks if I do get hungry? Are snacks allowed?

The only thing I have really done is cut out anything with refined sugar, including the sugar in my coffee (which I love) and it seems that the thing I am best at right now is being weepy and feeling very overwhelmed.

Somebody please help. I feel like this has been dropped on me and now I've been abandoned. It's like, here, take your meds and we'll get back to you!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Welcome Sandra

It's ok to be scared...believe me we have all been there. You have found a great place for support.

I eat a low carb high fat diet... Some of the other members eat the same way. You need to cut out anything white...potatoes, bread, rice... the carbs I do eat come mostly from vegetables... For snacks I eat cheese or nuts

If the metformin continues to bother you have your doctor switch you to the extended release version it has fewer side effects

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome.

Yes, all the differing opinions out there are confusing. That was my first question when I found this forum. Shanny gave me a great answer. I think it will help you out a lot if you read that thread, which is here.

Glad you joined us.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Sandra - do I ever relate! The same thing happened to me almost exactly.

I was very sick and ended up in ER with an A1C (3 month sugar reading) of 14.7. They brought it down over hours (and hours) with saline drip and two insulin infusions, then gave me a sheet and discharged me at 3 AM. I had not kept food down in about a week prior, and all I wanted was to be admitted to the hosp so someone would take care of me properly.

The next morning I woke up and thought 'now what?' I could barely read the sheet they gave me since my vision had gone so wacky, but it was meaningless because the sheet gave the warning signs of diabetes. Seriously.

I also had no idea what to eat though I figured cheese was okay, and eggs, so I did that. I wasn't seen by anyone for a week and floated along on my own without a meter. Once I landed here, I started getting reassurance and information and was able to navigate a bit - so I'm glad you're here! This forum really guided me through those rough seas.

Before I got a meter, I started following the recommendations that seemed the most consistent here: no sugar, few to no carbs (no wheat, flour, grains, potatoes, fruit, milk), but all the meat, fat, cheese, fish, non-starchy veggies, and eggs I wanted.

A lot of the contradictory information is because many medical professionals say we can eat more carbs than the experience of most on this forum say we can. Until you get a meter and start testing, you won't be able to be your own lab rat, so I'd recommend eating as few carbs as you can to help bring your numbers down. There's time to see what you can add back in once you stabilize.

For me - being dx'ed with diabetes is an odd sort of blessing. After 2.5 months of severely restricting carbs I have more energy than I've had in ages, and am being forced to focus on my health in a way that I didn't do, or did only casually, the last few years.

The changes are surely an adjustment - but it's okay. It will all be okay.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for the support. I feel better already. I am still scared and very confused, but feel better........I know, crazy!

Okay, I am going to spend my evening researching what are low carb veggies, etc. Does anyone have any ideas as to websites that give examples of meals and snacks? The hardest part for me right now is not having a bedtime snack and not having that teaspoon of sugar in my morning coffee.

If anyone can guide me to some reputable websites, I would be grateful! Hubby is headed out to do spring service on my bike and I start my daily bike rides tomorrow! I am planning an hour a day. Will give me a chance to ride through town and snoop on my neighbours!! ha ha ha.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Apart from the one you are on right now (thanks Rain!) the best website I can recommend is Blood Sugar 101 - Jenny Ruhl, the woman who runs/owns it, is a very wise & experienced PWD herself (person with diabetes), and has compiled a vast resource complete with citations for all the research & studies which are the underpinnings of our diabetes management.

For meals & snacks, you might well prowl around our own pages here . . . there is a busy nutrition & recipes board, and lots of good ideas on the 'What's for dinner' thread too.

As long as you avoid bread, potatoes, pasta, rice & other cereal grains, you can safely build your meals around protein & moderate fats. Also to be avoided are processed foods in general, and processed low or nonfat foods in particular.

Now lest you get discouraged at so many things to avoid eating, I'm going to show you some pictures my friend posted on another forum today . . . just LOOK at all these lovely low-carb meals! Dinner with [Tom Naughton's] Older Brother

Thank you for joining us, Sandra - so good to have you with us!

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Okay, I am going to spend my evening researching what are low carb veggies, etc.
I pretty much ate/eat any veggies except corn, peas, and thus far beans except for green. The beans I'll gradually add back in once I get my next A1C under my belt! Otherwise, I haven't counted veggie carbs, just tossed a random number of 10 at them :) Can you tell I'm not an accountant?

The hardest part for me right now is not having a bedtime snack and not having that teaspoon of sugar in my morning coffee.
I also drink sugar in my coffee and loathe artificial sweeteners ... except erythritol. It's a sugar alcohol that has no effect on blood glucose and tastes just like sugar. I can barely tell the difference. It's expensive but 3 lbs from Amazon for about US$25 lasts me 6 wks.

As for bedtime snack - you needn't give that up, just have a no-carb one. Some don't snack before bed, I do and have no problems with morning fastings as a result. There's time to fine-tune those things, but for now have some nuts or cheese or make the cheese crisps that are in the recipe section (thin square of cheese on parchment paper in a 350-degree oven for 15 minutes) and dip in some guacamole or eat plain. Voila - easy crackers!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, Sandra!

Glad you found us ... Sorry you had to!

You sound like me about a month ago. I took a routine blood test, got called late at night and directed to go straight to the hospital.

You have meds. Good! They may need adjusting over the next few days if they aren't working for you. That's pretty normal. Sometimes Drs. will work with you over the phone, or even via email.

I totally relate to the fear of eating. I pretty much lived on green salad, string cheese and eggs the first few days ... and I was scared of them, too!

Were you given a meter to test your blood sugars? If not, you'll want to get one soon. Every diabetic is different -- different foods affect us in different ways. Testing is the only way to know how your food is treating you.

Please keep us posted!

Oh, yeah ... and happy neighbor-snooping. Please bring back plenty of stories for us!

O

·
0 Posts
welcome Sandra :) it's really hard to take it all in at first and as already mentioned, we've all been there. With diabetes you will find that we are not all the same. The best way to figure things out is with your glucometer (if or when you get one)... meanwhile keep carbs to minimum and make it wholegrain if you do (look up "glycemic index" aka: GI, which may help). I'm a person that eats some carbs with every meal/snack, although I choose low GI carbs as high GI just makes me spike and crash with my BGL. Being diabetic it's important for you not only to get into a normal range in numbers, but also to maintain a normal range and not go too low or too high... it's very much a balancing act. You will find you will continually learn new things as you go. At first it's all about the food and exercise, then you learn other things impact on your BGLs too. The best advice I can give is to just stay positive no matter what and you'll do fine. You will have ups and downs, we all do... but just continue with the journey. If you continue to feel unwell on metformin, try a different dose or version, but if you still have problems after a few months it's probably a good idea to discuss with your doc to try something different. I'm sure you will find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted with how you're doing.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Sandra, we were all in your shoes at one time. No matter where you live you rarely get the proper info in the beginning. I would suggest you educate yourself and don't leave it to doctors or dieticians. Many dieticians have us eating way too many carbs and then overmedicate us to deal witht he extra carbs. When you have diabetes there is something wrong with your insulin response when you eat any type of carbs ( even healthy ones like fruit and whole grains). So when we eat these things our body doesn't produce enough insulin so our bgs go way up or somethimes we produce too much insulin and our bgs crash very low. So many of us have designed our own low carb diets to keep our bgs fairly stable throughout the day. You do this by centering meals around 3-5 oz of protein and about 20 gram of fat. If you add carbs make sure they come from veggies. Check out our recipe section. Many of us bake using things other than wheat flour, so our bgs don't spike. My favorite low carb sites are Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home
Low Carb Diets at About.com - Atkins South Beach and More Low Carb Diets

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you to everyone for all the great advice! We are actually going grocery shopping this afternoon and it will be a learning experience, I'm sure!

Unfortunately, we live in a very small town with a very small grocery store and not a lot of variety, so that is going to be my biggest hurdle. We are going to travel the 45 minute trip one way to get groceries in the next largest centre to us later today.

Can someone just confirm a couple of things for me?

Can I have any kind of rice (ie. brown rice)? Can I have any kind of pasta (ie. whole wheat pasta)?

I have no idea what my carb intake per day should be. I am basing it on 80g of carbs daily, but not sure if that is too high.

I don't, as of yet, have a glucometer to check my blood. I am seeing my new family doctor for the first time on Tuesday, so I should have lots to tell him. I'm not sure I'm ready for this rollercoaster ride of testing and testing and more testing. I am just so afraid that I won't know what is necessary and what is this docs idea of what is necessary. I've never met the man so it should be interesting. My old family doctor just became too hard to access and waiting three weeks to be seen for a sinus infection isn't acceptable in my opinion.

So, off to the grocery store we go! What about cabbage rolls? Any opinions?

PS Hubby told me this morning that if I have to live on a no carb diet, he is willing to eat whatever I eat and he thinks it will be good for him. He told me it's not fair that I should have to cook two seperate meals for him and I. He has put on his diabetic hat, even though he's not diabetic, and is joining the adventure. God love the man!!!!!!!! I know I do!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Some of us can tolerate a little rice or even pasta, but on the whole, grains (even brown rice/wholewheat pasta) are going to raise blood sugar - they're some of the worst offenders. Our meters and all that testing are what allows us to individualize our diets regarding these "iffy" foods: So you eat 1/4 cup of plain brown rice and test an hour later - if your blood sugar is still under 140, you might be okay. Try the experiment 2-3 times and if you can stay under 140, keep it in the rotation on an infrequent basis and really watch portion control.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, rice and pasta have been struck from the grocery list for now. Lunch today consisted of 3 oz. of grilled pork tenderloin with garlic powder and pepper for seasoning along with some boiled cabbage drizzled with vinegar.

I have only been watching what I eat for the last three days since diagnosis, but already can't believe how much better I am starting to feel. My energy level has risen dramatically! I just need to work on the water intake.

Thanks again for answering my constant questions. Hopefully I'm not bugging all of you too much.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Okay, rice and pasta have been struck from the grocery list for now. Lunch today consisted of 3 oz. of grilled pork tenderloin with garlic powder and pepper for seasoning along with some boiled cabbage drizzled with vinegar.

I have only been watching what I eat for the last three days since diagnosis, but already can't believe how much better I am starting to feel. My energy level has risen dramatically! I just need to work on the water intake.
This music to my ears, Sandy! As for bugging us, don't give it another thought! We're here to help you as we've been helped through this diabetes jungle!

The pork & cabbage sounds wonderful to me - I use cabbage a LOT, as raw, cooked, sauerkraut - everything! Poke around in our recipes board & you'll find dozens of terrific dishes you don't have to be afraid to eat.

Just be sure you're eating enough, because the low-carb way-of-eating should never leave you hungry. Don't be afraid to use butter & other fats with your meals - the fats do NOT raise blood sugar & they really help us feel satiated.

And keep asking all the questions you want . . . we're here for your benefit.

O

·
0 Posts
I eat pasta and rice and believe it or not I don't tolerate vegetable carbs very well. With rice I eat basmati as it has lower GI than brown rice. Also boiling the rice is better than the absorbtion method of cooking it... reduces the GI of it. Also with pasta I choose tricolour or white pasta as both are mostly lower GI than wholemeal would you believe. Where you live the Capellini pasta looks good as really low GI. For information about "Glycemic Index" which tells you which carbs are better for you (eg. they release energy slower into your body) refer to the GI Database (which is a search engine for what foods you wish to check) and it gives you a breakdown on what the GI content is for different types/brands, etc. LINK: The Glycemic Index
Even though it may be low GI... you still need to watch portion control. Personally I stick to low GI as it works better for me.
:D

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
PS Hubby told me this morning that if I have to live on a no carb diet, he is willing to eat whatever I eat and he thinks it will be good for him.
What an awesome man - what a team!

I've not had the courage to try rice or pasta because 1/4 cup of either seems more cruel than satisfying somehow, even should I miraculously be able to manage it. My numbers are now almost where I want them, though not quite, and I'm averaging about 50 carbs/day. I see earthquake meter movement when I eat 1/2 a grapefruit, and have decided to focus on getting through my next A1C in a few weeks before starting more experimentation.

My best advice is still to stay as low carb as you can manage until you get your meter and find out what your body is doing. As for all the testing, it seems daunting but isn't really. Like with most routine things it becomes just that - routine.

Glad you're feeling the burst of energy reward - it's a motivational wind at your back!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Okay, rice and pasta have been struck from the grocery list for now.
Hey Sandra - here is a really great substitute for rice:

Pulse cauliflower in a food processor until it's the size of grains of cooked rice.
Put in a microwave-safe bowl and nuke it for 4 minutes (don't add water or it gets too soggy)
Mix it with whatever you would do with rice: butter & herbs; sauteed mushrooms; pinenuts or other nuts, etc.

You can also substitute spaghetti squash for pasta.

For mashed potatoes substitute mashed butternut squash or pureed cauliflower (I like to add some rutagaba and turnip) with garlic and butter.

There are lots of great ways to have really satisfying foods that are easier on your blood sugar than the starchy carbs we're all so used to! Dana Carpender has several wonderful books full of low carb recipes.

Jen

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you again to everyone for your wonderful advice and support. I have been trying really hard to keep on track, however, yesterday was Mother's Day with the family and that was really hard. None of them know yet that I am in the midst of being newly diagnosed and the trials and tribulations that come with that. I didn't want to put a damper on their Mother's Day plans for me or the family day that was planned, so nothing has been said. The only ones aware at the moment are hubby and a friend of mine who have both been very supportive.

The wheels fell off the bus yesterday starting with a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch (although it was made on 15 grain bread) and a cup of tomato soup which I made with 1% milk and cream mixed half and half. Then on to turkey dinner for supper, but I did manage to only have a very small scoop of potato, very small spoonful of dressing and the rest was filled with turkey, fat free gravy and broccoli/cauliflower mixed veggies with a bit of cheese sauce drizzled on top. The disaster was, after saying I was too full for applie pie and whipped cream (which I really wasn't) and was given a slice anyway. I managed to only eat a couple mouthfuls and said I was just too full to finish it.

I did have a couple slices of leftover turkey for my bedtime snack last night.

I have managed to eat very little carbs, if any, for the last four days, but yesterday kind of took things sideways again. I really wanted to behave so that my appt. with the doc tomorrow might show signs of improvement. Oh well, guess not!

How long does it take for your blood sugars to show improvement once you start eating a strict diet of low to no carbs and only eating the good stuff? I did weigh myself and I have lost 2 pounds since Thursday, so I must be doing something right.

Now, just to get hubby to do spring maintenance on my bike so I can get out there and start riding!!!!! The plan is a bike ride every morning from now on. Evenings just don't work, but I work from home so I should be able to sneak in a bike ride during the day.

Thanks again for listening to my rants and reading the novels I seem to writing these days!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
One newbie to another!

Good afternoon,

This is my first time here and I am so glad to find some information. I was only diagnosed 3 days ago and at this point I am terrified. I had to visit the ER for an unrelated matter and after having a urine test done, the nurse came in and asked if I was diabetic. I said, no. She advised that there were sugar crystals in my test and she was going to take my blood sugar reading. It read 15! So then blood work was ordered and I was seen by the doctor. He advised me that I was very likely type II diabetic, although I had had no symptoms, and that I should follow up with my family doctor. After giving me a prescription for infection, he sent me on my way.

Just after I got home, the hospital called and advised me that my blood test had shown a reading of 18, and therefore the doctor wanted me on medication right away. By this time I was reeling!!! So he prescribed Metformin twice a day and told me to tell my doctor about it when I see him next week. And that's where it has been left.

I am overwhelmed. I am scared to eat. I am scared to drink anything other than water, and the Metformin has left me feeling really icky and I am having headaches that I never have. My world feels like it has turned upside down!

I have no idea when I can see a dietician. I have no idea what to eat and when. I have been looking on the internet for two days and there is so much information and so much contradictory information that I don't know where to start. I just wish somebody would say, "Here, eat this and this and this, at this time of day, and this is what you should do". I have read "eat carbs", then I read "don't eat carbs", and then I read "eat protein" and the next thing says "watch how much protein you eat". How do I know???

Can somebody help me out and clarify things a bit? I have hardly eaten the last two days because I'm scared to and I know that isn't good. What do I do for snacks if I do get hungry? Are snacks allowed?

The only thing I have really done is cut out anything with refined sugar, including the sugar in my coffee (which I love) and it seems that the thing I am best at right now is being weepy and feeling very overwhelmed.

Somebody please help. I feel like this has been dropped on me and now I've been abandoned. It's like, here, take your meds and we'll get back to you!!!
Hi,

I have only joined today but am fortunate to have been a diabetic since I was 2. I understand how scary it is but there is so much help out there. I still eat pretty much what I want within reason and I like a few drinks whilst playing guitar with my firends (prob shouldn't have said that!!!). Your doctor will be able to offer amazing advice and to be honest they seem like a nice bunch here and wish I had joined earlier. I have just launched a website aimed at helping people like you. Unfortunately I am not too good on computers and will be building it slowly. Keep an eye out for me and I will update with details soon. Let me know if there is anything specific I can put on there for you including recipes with nutritional values.

Take care and dont stress too much. It will become easier.
Simon
diabetessurvial

1 - 20 of 21 Posts