Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Another Newbie! Hello!

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  onlymep 
#1 ·
Good afternoon,

This is my first time here and I am so glad to find some information. I was only diagnosed 3 days ago and at this point I am terrified. I had to visit the ER for an unrelated matter and after having a urine test done, the nurse came in and asked if I was diabetic. I said, no. She advised that there were sugar crystals in my test and she was going to take my blood sugar reading. It read 15! So then blood work was ordered and I was seen by the doctor. He advised me that I was very likely type II diabetic, although I had had no symptoms, and that I should follow up with my family doctor. After giving me a prescription for infection, he sent me on my way.

Just after I got home, the hospital called and advised me that my blood test had shown a reading of 18, and therefore the doctor wanted me on medication right away. By this time I was reeling!!! So he prescribed Metformin twice a day and told me to tell my doctor about it when I see him next week. And that's where it has been left.

I am overwhelmed. I am scared to eat. I am scared to drink anything other than water, and the Metformin has left me feeling really icky and I am having headaches that I never have. My world feels like it has turned upside down!

I have no idea when I can see a dietician. I have no idea what to eat and when. I have been looking on the internet for two days and there is so much information and so much contradictory information that I don't know where to start. I just wish somebody would say, "Here, eat this and this and this, at this time of day, and this is what you should do". I have read "eat carbs", then I read "don't eat carbs", and then I read "eat protein" and the next thing says "watch how much protein you eat". How do I know???

Can somebody help me out and clarify things a bit? I have hardly eaten the last two days because I'm scared to and I know that isn't good. What do I do for snacks if I do get hungry? Are snacks allowed?

The only thing I have really done is cut out anything with refined sugar, including the sugar in my coffee (which I love) and it seems that the thing I am best at right now is being weepy and feeling very overwhelmed.

Somebody please help. I feel like this has been dropped on me and now I've been abandoned. It's like, here, take your meds and we'll get back to you!!!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for the support. I feel better already. I am still scared and very confused, but feel better........I know, crazy!

Okay, I am going to spend my evening researching what are low carb veggies, etc. Does anyone have any ideas as to websites that give examples of meals and snacks? The hardest part for me right now is not having a bedtime snack and not having that teaspoon of sugar in my morning coffee.

If anyone can guide me to some reputable websites, I would be grateful! Hubby is headed out to do spring service on my bike and I start my daily bike rides tomorrow! I am planning an hour a day. Will give me a chance to ride through town and snoop on my neighbours!! ha ha ha.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Thank you to everyone for all the great advice! We are actually going grocery shopping this afternoon and it will be a learning experience, I'm sure!

Unfortunately, we live in a very small town with a very small grocery store and not a lot of variety, so that is going to be my biggest hurdle. We are going to travel the 45 minute trip one way to get groceries in the next largest centre to us later today.

Can someone just confirm a couple of things for me?

Can I have any kind of rice (ie. brown rice)? Can I have any kind of pasta (ie. whole wheat pasta)?

I have no idea what my carb intake per day should be. I am basing it on 80g of carbs daily, but not sure if that is too high.

I don't, as of yet, have a glucometer to check my blood. I am seeing my new family doctor for the first time on Tuesday, so I should have lots to tell him. I'm not sure I'm ready for this rollercoaster ride of testing and testing and more testing. I am just so afraid that I won't know what is necessary and what is this docs idea of what is necessary. I've never met the man so it should be interesting. My old family doctor just became too hard to access and waiting three weeks to be seen for a sinus infection isn't acceptable in my opinion.

So, off to the grocery store we go! What about cabbage rolls? Any opinions?

PS Hubby told me this morning that if I have to live on a no carb diet, he is willing to eat whatever I eat and he thinks it will be good for him. He told me it's not fair that I should have to cook two seperate meals for him and I. He has put on his diabetic hat, even though he's not diabetic, and is joining the adventure. God love the man!!!!!!!! I know I do!

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Okay, rice and pasta have been struck from the grocery list for now. Lunch today consisted of 3 oz. of grilled pork tenderloin with garlic powder and pepper for seasoning along with some boiled cabbage drizzled with vinegar.

I have only been watching what I eat for the last three days since diagnosis, but already can't believe how much better I am starting to feel. My energy level has risen dramatically! I just need to work on the water intake.

Thanks again for answering my constant questions. Hopefully I'm not bugging all of you too much.

Discussion starter · #19 ·
Thank you again to everyone for your wonderful advice and support. I have been trying really hard to keep on track, however, yesterday was Mother's Day with the family and that was really hard. None of them know yet that I am in the midst of being newly diagnosed and the trials and tribulations that come with that. I didn't want to put a damper on their Mother's Day plans for me or the family day that was planned, so nothing has been said. The only ones aware at the moment are hubby and a friend of mine who have both been very supportive.

The wheels fell off the bus yesterday starting with a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch (although it was made on 15 grain bread) and a cup of tomato soup which I made with 1% milk and cream mixed half and half. Then on to turkey dinner for supper, but I did manage to only have a very small scoop of potato, very small spoonful of dressing and the rest was filled with turkey, fat free gravy and broccoli/cauliflower mixed veggies with a bit of cheese sauce drizzled on top. The disaster was, after saying I was too full for applie pie and whipped cream (which I really wasn't) and was given a slice anyway. I managed to only eat a couple mouthfuls and said I was just too full to finish it.

I did have a couple slices of leftover turkey for my bedtime snack last night.

I have managed to eat very little carbs, if any, for the last four days, but yesterday kind of took things sideways again. I really wanted to behave so that my appt. with the doc tomorrow might show signs of improvement. Oh well, guess not!

How long does it take for your blood sugars to show improvement once you start eating a strict diet of low to no carbs and only eating the good stuff? I did weigh myself and I have lost 2 pounds since Thursday, so I must be doing something right.

Now, just to get hubby to do spring maintenance on my bike so I can get out there and start riding!!!!! The plan is a bike ride every morning from now on. Evenings just don't work, but I work from home so I should be able to sneak in a bike ride during the day.

Thanks again for listening to my rants and reading the novels I seem to writing these days!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.