The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here. I was diagnosed a year ago and then ate sugar for a year. I have severe PTSD and comfort eating sugar is my first go to. I have been controlled for 2 weeks and have a glucometer. I have an infected shin and have had 2 weeks of anti biotics. It is still infected and I am worried. Going to my doctor tomorrow or emergency. Had Keflex for 2 weeks and put anti bacterial cream on my leg. Having mental health issues and then having to manage a physical illness is a real challenge. I know the diabetes can effect depression so I am determined to stick to my plan.

·
Administrator
2,144 Posts
Thanks for the post, glenn. Many of us had good friends in sugar; it's hard to give that up. I hope you'll find plenty of support here for challenges you're facing. It's a good group. Let us know how we can help you.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Welcome, Glenn. I know it's a dreadful struggle just with diabetes, but on top of PTSD you're dealing with a lot more. Hope you're getting help for the PTSD. And yes, please do let us know how this lingering infection goes - you can do this!

·
Super Moderator
10,015 Posts
Hi glennhol1, welcome to the forum.

I remember about 40 or so years ago getting a bad ear infection and was given Keflex. My doc told me it was a fairly new antibiotic. After a week my ear was worse according to the tympanometry compared to the one he first ran. Switched me to amoxicillin and I could tell the difference in 2 days. I have no allergies to penicillin or its derivatives. Maybe you need to ask to try a different antibiotic?

Check out our recipe threads for some sugar free treats that may be substitutes for your comfort foods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts