The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just signed up here, but I was diagnosed with this dreaded disease at least 5 years ago!

I didn't take it seriously at all until just a few weeks ago...and I'm not at all sure what opened my eyes then, but I'm glad they finally did.

I had been taking 2 pill forms of meds plus shots. My numbers got to the upper 300's to mid 400's. They weren't going down even when I ate like I was supposed to...which I normally didn't.

Anyway now I'm REALLY taking it serious and I'm determined to get my numbers down to as close to normal as possible!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Gayle! Whatever opened your eyes, I'm glad too - it brought you to us! :) Since I don't use insulin yet, I'll prob'ly stand back while more experienced members give you their thoughts. But I'll be here - poking my nose into everybody's business! ;)

So far my grandkids have not made me a great-granny, but isn't grandparenting just the BEST?! :cool:

Take care & thank you for joining us.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Gayle, Welcome to the Forum. I've been D for 4+ years and I am still learning about different ways of control. One of the things I learned early on, was the diet they gave me in the dietician's office was not the right diet for me. I have experimented with different diets and have now combined different low carb diets to find the one that gave me the lowest bgs. It is a lot of trial and error. I find every diabetic is different and we all need different meds and insulins. What kind of insulin are you on? Diabetes tends to be a progressive disease and at some point people may have to add 2 different kinds of insulin to keep bgs low. Glad you found us.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Welcome GayleB

You can take care of this!. I have spent a little time in the I give up frame of mind and some time in the I do not care frame of mind.
I do not ever want to be there again. If a treatment is not working for you - it is irrelvant that it works for other people, Listen to your body and work to find the right course that gives you control.

Before March, when I went on Basal/Bolus Insulin, my BGL had been high for a lot of months and I couldnt understand how truly crappy i felt until i got back under control and now I feel GREAT! - the difference is amazing. I think that realization is what will help me stay under control - that and finding a path to success with my insulin ( lantus and apidra )

Be in control! feel Good!

Don

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! We are glad you're here. I hope you come back often and get the support, information and encouragement you need. I look forward to seeing you around!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Well I just signed up here, but I was diagnosed with this dreaded disease at least 5 years ago!

I didn't take it seriously at all until just a few weeks ago...and I'm not at all sure what opened my eyes then, but I'm glad they finally did.

I had been taking 2 pill forms of meds plus shots. My numbers got to the upper 300's to mid 400's. They weren't going down even when I ate like I was supposed to...which I normally didn't.

Anyway now I'm REALLY taking it serious and I'm determined to get my numbers down to as close to normal as possible!
Hello Gayle and :welcome: to the forum. We have a lot of information on the forum, so read what interests you and if you can't find something, go to the forum page and use the white box to search topics. I hope that you have time to visit often and take care.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Jwags! Well I've never been good at diets...so I'm not on one! I've done a lot of reading and have started using cinnamon daily, along with milled flax seed.
I add both to a lot of the things I eat. Yogurt, cottage cheese, oatmeal...even smoothies. I don't drink any soft drinks or anything that is pre-sweetened. I drink iced tea sweetened with Stevia. LOL...I even keep a bottle of it in my purse so I'll have it if I eat out or just stop & grab a drink (tea of course). Tea & water are pretty much all I drink tho' I'm trying to acquire a taste for pomegranate juice. I read that it was terrific for diabetics. Even just a cup or so a day. I dilute it with water so it's not so strong. This is my "Lifestyle Change" rather than a diet!
The insulin I take is Levermin Flex Pen 37mg. Jwags what is the AIC that I've seen on everyone's info? (I haven't filled that out yet)
I may have the wrong attitude but I'm going to try my best to reverse this thing called diabetes rather than have it progress. That's been one of my problems all along...it seemed the more meds I took, the more weight I gained. The more weight I gained the more my meds were increased. It just seemed like a visious cycle to me!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Joshua...I've never been in are on a forum before & I'm really glad I found this one!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Don...I appreciate it! The love & support from your spouse is awesome isn't it? My husband is terrific!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Shanny & many thanks!! YES being a grandparent IS the best...whether it's a Great or...ok how do I say this? LOL

G

·
welcome Gayle :) I'm type 2 on full time insulin. I was dx'd in 1998. I'm sure you will get things sorted out and working for you. The thing with diabetes is that everyone is so different and it's an individual thing really. A lot of us experiment to find out what works best for us. I guess just carry on testing your BGLs and try your best to keep on top of it. Like anything in life, it's certainly a journey and it's not always smooth sailing. There's so many factors that affect diabetes, not just diet and exercise... it's important not to forget that as people seem to think that's all it is when it's only part of it. Keeping a positive attitude no matter what is a big help. I'm sure you will find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
HbA1c is a test that doctors run every 3-6 months on diabetic patients to check their progress. It measures your average bgs for a 3 month period. It measures the amount of glycation or sugar stuck to the blood molecules. Some feel it is a better measure because it measures the times when you aren't testing. A normal HbA1c is 4.0-5.5. My doctor wants me to keep mine below 6%. You can also buy a home testing kit from Bayer. As far as diet the important thing is to test your bg 2 hours after you eat. That is the only way you know if you can handle things like oatmeal, pommegranite juice, yogurt and whole grain breads. A lot of D's have problem eating those things and keeping their bgs close to normal. Diabetes is a lot of trial and error.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well Jwags I went to the Dr. yesterday and he drew blood so I guess pretty soon I'll have an AIC...but in all the years I've been diabetic I've never had a doctor give me any results except to say it's to high. I've also had several different Dr's so maybe that's it!

I was really surprised by what you said about the yogurt, oatmeal, pommegranite juice (don't do much of this) being hard for a lot of D's to handle! I thought I was doing something GREAT. But my numbers are going down everyday so I'm guessing they're okay for me.

I ordered a book online about managing diabetics...I think it's pretty awesome. I've been following it for 8 days and my numbers have gone down from the 300's to 400's to below 240. My Dr. was impressed which was definitely new for me! Anyway is it okay for me to mention the name of the book in the forum?

Thanks so much for your input!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Onlymep,

Thanks for the tip about the positive attitude...I suppose I'm pretty lucky where that's concerned because I normally do...without working at it. One of my favorite quotes is "Worrying about something you have no control over is like sitting in a rocking chair & rocking like crazy...it's not going to get you anywhere!" I've actually had both friends & family members get aggravated with me because I wasn't worrying about something or another. They'd say something like "you act like you don't care" I'd tell them "I do care, very much, but worrying about it is not going to change anything"

I hope you're doing well and a great weekend!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well Jwags I went to the Dr. yesterday and he drew blood so I guess pretty soon I'll have an AIC...but in all the years I've been diabetic I've never had a doctor give me any results except to say it's to high. I've also had several different Dr's so maybe that's it!

I ordered a book online about managing diabetics...I think it's pretty awesome. I've been following it for 8 days and my numbers have gone down from the 300's to 400's to below 240. My Dr. was impressed which was definitely new for me! Anyway is it okay for me to mention the name of the book in the forum?
Heck yeah, tell us the name of the book! :cool:

And if your doc isn't forthcoming with your test results, ask him straightout for a copy of all the results. They belong to you - not him. (and don't shut up until they GIVE them to you! ;))

G

·
Heck yeah, tell us the name of the book! :cool:

And if your doc isn't forthcoming with your test results, ask him straightout for a copy of all the results. They belong to you - not him. (and don't shut up until they GIVE them to you! ;))
yeah definitely agree there :D You have to ask as they don't normally give them to you. I've learnt that one as sometimes they refer to tests way back instead of the last one, etc... and get you all confused. Last time I asked though I got told his printer wasn't working.... so I said, "well write it down for me then". lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Shanny, I'm really excited!! I got the results from the blood work from Friday. The average on the BS went from 356 to 219 (it's even lower now) triglicrides from 836 to 182 YES! I told them I wanted a copy, they're going to mail it. They said I could pick it up but it's 45 miles one way...with the price of gas I opted for the mail!!

The name of the book is "The 30 Day Diabetes Cure". Here's the link to it https://myhealingkitchen.infusionsoft.com/go/30ddc/ama/

This morning my fasting BS reading was 118...it hasn't been that low in years!!
I love that book, or rather the information in it! It works! Of course I don't know about the "cure" but I'm only on the 13th day. My Dr. even wrote down the name of it. He said if my number's keep going down he's going to start recommending it to his other diabetic patients.

Is there a place in the forum where you can get or share recipes?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Onlymep, boy do I like your attitude...the "well write it down for me then" seem's the perfect answer to me! My question is this...did they?

I probably should have asked for the past two test results but I didn't think about it at the time. I have senior moments alot! I think I'm going to start calling them diabetic moments! LOL

Australia is one of the places I would love to visit...and I seriously plan on it within 2 to 3 years. Any places you recommend?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
As long as you clearly understand that there IS NO CURE - that following the dictates of this book will never-not-ever cure you of diabetes. Understand as well, that "Dr" Ripich is not an MD, he is a nurse practitioner and a dr. of naturopathic medicine. And please don't spend any more money on the offers from this. This is a perfect example of the scams directed at unknowing new diabetics, and big money being made off them. A better source would be Dr. Bernstein, who provides his book online for free. Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. Official Web Site

Good job sticking to your guns over the test results!

Hey Shanny, I'm really excited!! I got the results from the blood work from Friday. The average on the BS went from 356 to 219 (it's even lower now) triglicrides from 836 to 182 YES! I told them I wanted a copy, they're going to mail it. They said I could pick it up but it's 45 miles one way...with the price of gas I opted for the mail!!

The name of the book is "The 30 Day Diabetes Cure". Here's the link to it https://myhealingkitchen.infusionsoft.com/go/30ddc/ama/

This morning my fasting BS reading was 118...it hasn't been that low in years!!
I love that book, or rather the information in it! It works! Of course I don't know about the "cure" but I'm only on the 13th day. My Dr. even wrote down the name of it. He said if my number's keep going down he's going to start recommending it to his other diabetic patients.

Is there a place in the forum where you can get or share recipes?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts