The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Chris, and I was diagnosed 2 days ago with type 2. Bgl when I had my labs done was over 300, and I'm now on glyburide 5mg twice daily.

I was given a meter and told to test every morning for a month, then turn in a log of readings. So yesterday right after getting up it was 242. I only got 1 pill yesterday (they were overnighted to me) and this morning it was 191. I've been low carbing all day, and I just tested 1 hr after dinner and it was 120. As I understand it thats not a bad number, so I'm beginning to think this won't be that difficult.

Except for pizza.

I'm glad I found this forum. I've seen a lot of contradictory information on the web the last two days. I'll trust the info from those in the trenches. :)

Chris

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Welcome - and you're off to a roaring start. You quickly got a fix on the fundamentals.

Yesterday I had a 4-carb (net) tortilla, toasted, topped with pizza sauce, mozzarella, ground beef, mushrooms, yellow pepper, onion and pepperoni. Next time I'll add olives if I can pile the thing any higher! It was great.

A neighbor who sees me as the canary in the coal mine has gone low-carb and is a pizza freak. She orders them still, large ones, and eats just the topping. Lots of people do that. Said she didn't miss the crust and realized it was the smell and toppings that were her addiction.

There are workarounds for most everything.

Congrats on your progress. That's truly awesome. Whoa - just noticed - two days? TWO DAYS? Wow -

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yesterday I had a 4-carb (net) tortilla, toasted, topped with pizza sauce, mozzarella, ground beef, mushrooms, yellow pepper, onion and pepperoni. Next time I'll add olives if I can pile the thing any higher! It was great.
There's tomorrows lunch! :D I got some tortillas today (5 net carb) and I like a thin crust anyways, so I should be in good shape.

Is two days fast? I just assumed the pills would bring it down quick.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Whoa, Chris!!! You're going like 0 to 60 in eight seconds! What a turnaround! Oops - "whoa" was exactly the wrong word to use . . . I mean keep on keepin' on! :D You're here in the trenches with us now & we're happy to have you. Come often.

As for the pills - they don't work like aspirin . . . they build up in your bloodstream & help your cells access the insulin that's available, and they help reduce the liver's secretion of glucose, but they're not meant to cover all the food you eat - you'll find they work better with a lower-carb food regimen.

And moon? Love the 'canary in the coal mine' thing! LOL!

·
Registered
741 Posts
hello and welcome cac!....I'd say your switch to low carb is why your numbers are better so fast :)...you're on the right road and the best head space...

·
Registered
90 Posts
HI Cac...

Great work with getting your numbers down..

I find that the low carb diet works a treat for me... :) Looks like you're having some great results with it too....

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home
This is a great low carb recipe site to have a trawl through :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome everyone. And Tiggletagle, thanks for that link. I'll be all over that site tomorrow.

I've just finished reading bloodsugar101 and understand things a little better now. I'm not too thrilled with the Glyburide side effects. I'll be addressing that issue at my next appointment.

I'm feeling better now than I've felt in as long as I can remember (except for a low carb headache.) I did Atkins in 1999 without too much trouble after the first 10 days or so, so a headache is not unexpected. There seems to be way more options for low carb now.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I'm not too thrilled with the Glyburide side effects.
My numbers were also high at dx and in ER they put me on maximum metformin. Numbers didn't come down quickly enough, was still ill, and at urgent care they added glipizide (like glyburide, in the sulfonylurea class of drugs) which did act more quickly and help bring me down below 200.

Once I got in to see an endo, he said he wanted me off glipizide as soon as possible because of the action of stimulating the pancreas to produce more insulin - borrowing from the future as it were. So as the metformin reached full effect, I was able gradually to leave the glipizide behind. It sounds like the way your body is responding, that could be an option for you as well if you wanted to switch to metformin.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, Chris! :welcome:

Wow ... you're doing fantastic!

Just for that, here's a pizza recipe. :D

Reactions: Tiggletaggle

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the recipe. It looks rich, I'll try it this weekend.

I'm at 173 this morning.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Chris. It took you awhile to become diabetic and may take several months to get your bgs down. As others have said, limiting carbs is the answer. Just be careful with the Glyburide. It will make you overproduce insulin, especially if you are eating low carb, which could drop you way too low. It is also thought to lead to pancreatic burnout quicker. Most doctors start you off on Metformin which actually makes you more sensitive to your own insulin. I do the pizzas on tortillas too. I find if you spray some PAM on them and pop in oven for about 3-4 minutes they get crispy. Then add your sauce and toppings and return to oven for a few minutes. That way you get a crispy shell that you can pick up and eat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts