The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My name is Kristine and I'm a 34-year old graduate student. I'm glad to have found this forum and I look forward to learning from all of you!

I was diagnosed with Type II about 3 weeks ago. I had been having some dizzy spells and weakness so my doc ran some blood tests and my fasting glucose level was 130. Not terribly high, but he said he'd like to treat it aggressively now than wait until it got worse. Even though it was really hard to hear and very difficult to deal with, I wasn't actually too shocked about my diagnosis. Both of my parents have had diabetes for years and I've not exactly lived the "healthy" lifestyle. I have been a self-confessed sugar-holic and pasta-holic for years! :) But, I have tried turn my diagnosis into a positive means to truly change the way I live my life. I have completely overhauled my diet (which believe me, was much needed!) and so far, my glucose levels have been decent. At least I think so; I'm still a little confused as to what's "good" and what's "bad". I know my diabetes educator said that it should be less than 110 before eating and less than 140 2 hours after eating...is that pretty standard? I have lots of other questions, but I'll save those for other areas of the forum!

Anyway, thanks for reading my rather long introduction!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Welcome Kristine: :) It's Nice to see you here.

I'm sorry to hear that you were dxd. with Diabetes. It's never a Good time for that. Many People who have Diabetes in the Family still eat in unhealthy ways. Sometimes because they feel that Diabetes won't "Hit" them or to "run away" from it, etc. Although eating too much food and/or eating the unhealthy foods don't help at all, chances are those same People would have gotten Diabetes anyways although it may have been some years later. They are usually predisposed to Diabetes.

Anyways, all you can do now is to learn all that you can to prevent possible complications, try to live your Life in a more health conscious way(which People should be doing in the first place) and to make others aware of the affects of an unheathy Lifestyle. This is a lot. You are in the "Know" now and by the sounds of it on the Good track which is Great.

Kristine said:
I know my diabetes educator said that it should be less than 110 before eating and less than 140 2 hours after eating...is that pretty standard? I have lots of other questions, but I'll save those for other areas of the forum!
Anyway, thanks for reading my rather long introduction!
Yes, those numbers are right. Even if you are 110mgs., you still should
eat something for breakfast if that is your normal ritual. Most Diabetics suffer from Dawn Phenomenon(DP). Their sugars begin to rise before they awaken or slightly after. DP can be quite difficult to get under control for some People.

There is a lot of info here to read. When you have a question or comment feel free to ask/comment. I haven't met an Introduction yet that was too long. ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts