The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...nice to find a forum for us all......I am actually a parent of a newly diagnosed type1 diabetic....My little mans name is Billy and hes 4....wow..what a rollercoaster

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Welcome ronellebilly! You will learn plenty here as there is a nice mix of Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics. I believe the best approach for both would be to follow low carb/high fat diet. This seems to work like a charm for both. Your little guy is only 4, so you can actually get him from the ground floor up with his choice in foods. Diabetes can be a debilitating disease but it doesn't have to be. Just make sure to learn as much as you can here and help your son learn from a young age what to stay away from, and what he can enjoy. I've learned that just because I can't eat like a non-diabetic doesn't mean I had to give up great tasting, satisfying foods. Even some desserts here and there! Good Luck, and might I suggest you google bloodsugar101 and read what Jenny, a diabetic, has put together. It is a great starting point and filled with alot of useful information when just beginning with diabetes.
Keep us posted on your son's progress.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, and welcome! I don't think there are any members here who have diabetic children. I know that controlling diabetes in children is very different from doing so with adults. You can learn a lot here, but a better place would be on a website that created fo parents of diabetic children. The following link gives you a very good website:

children with DIABETES Online Community

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. After 66 years of type 1, I am very healthy. With the proper care Billy can have a long, healthy life!

Richard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts