The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, as most of you know (or maybe not ... I can't figure out how to get the info into my signature ... duhhh me :eek:hwell:) I am Type 2 since 2007 or 08 (can't remember ... darn this old age). I have been off all meds for since early 2010. I check my numbers regularly and they are good ... though a little low when I don't eat in a timely manner.

Here's my question: With my numbers being consistently good, and my A1C at 5.3 (last tested in early November), am I still be insulin resistant? Since you are never cured of diabetes per se, do some things remain the same (i.e., insulin resistance, difficulty losing weight, etc.) because even with consistently good numbers I remain a diabetic?

I greatly appreciate your input.

~Fran

·
Registered
633 Posts
You could test that yourself and just have a hogs gone wild week, eating whatever you want when you want and see what it does to your numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could test that yourself and just have a hogs gone wild week, eating whatever you want when you want and see what it does to your numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes
Not sure I understand (although the idea sparks interest, mainly because I do love CAKE ... LOL), are you saying that if I have a "hogs gone wild week" my numbers would shoot upward and stay upward? Or that they will stay up for a short period or ... ? Yes, I am a little dense ... please help. :eek: My understanding of insulin resistance is that you don't process carbs well (which is sometimes and understatement). So I am wondering if, when my bg numbers are good, does that mean that I am processing carbs better or does it mean that because I am eating less carbs (for the most part -- as I said, I go low) my body does not have to work as hard and therefore it appears that I am no longer insulin resistant?

Thanks.
~Fran

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Not sure I understand (although the idea sparks interest, mainly because I do love CAKE ... LOL), are you saying that if I have a "hogs gone wild week" my numbers would shoot upward and stay upward? Or that they will stay up for a short period or ... ? Yes, I am a little dense ... please help. :eek: My understanding of insulin resistance is that you don't process carbs well (which is sometimes and understatement). So I am wondering if, when my bg numbers are good, does that mean that I am processing carbs better or does it mean that because I am eating less carbs (for the most part -- as I said, I go low) my body does not have to work as hard and therefore it appears that I am no longer insulin resistant?

Thanks.
~Fran
The only way to see how you are coping with carbs is to use your meter.

First you want a starting point.

So do a test and if you are below 100, eat something with a known carbohydrate value (Don't go silly - keep the test numbers reasonable), then test again after one hour and after two. If you get your one hour number below 140 and two hours below 120, then you're hitting one of the targets for reasonable control.

If your fasting value is over 100 (or where you consider "normal"), postpone the test.

Like you, my issue is probably insulin resistance and I'm happy to say that I seem to have achieved a reasonable level of control BUT I am and will be for the rest of my life - DIABETIC. You cannot relax your attention to diet. OK, once in a while you can go "off plan" but recognise that you will pay for your indiscretion:) In other words, if you go silly for a week, it will probably take several days (and possibly then some..) of real discipline to bring your figures back to acceptable values.

John

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only way to see how you are coping with carbs is to use your meter.

First you want a starting point.

So do a test and if you are below 100, eat something with a known carbohydrate value (Don't go silly - keep the test numbers reasonable), then test again after one hour and after two. If you get your one hour number below 140 and two hours below 120, then you're hitting one of the targets for reasonable control.

If your fasting value is over 100 (or where you consider "normal"), postpone the test.

Like you, my issue is probably insulin resistance and I'm happy to say that I seem to have achieved a reasonable level of control BUT I am and will be for the rest of my life - DIABETIC. You cannot relax your attention to diet. OK, once in a while you can go "off plan" but recognise that you will pay for your indiscretion:) In other words, if you go silly for a week, it will probably take several days (and possibly then some..) of real discipline to bring your figures back to acceptable values.

John
Thanks John. I just ate lunch, tested my bg just before eating (94). I had a bowl of turkey chilli with beans. I will test again at 2:30 and again at 3:30 p.m.

As for going "off plan", my plan would probably shock most diabetics; but I am careful. I really don't like the way I felt -- when first diagnosed and not on track yet -- when I ate too many carbs. I shudder when I think of how I would regret what I ate back then... awful feeling, just awful. :eek:hwell:

We shall see how the test goes.

Thanks again.
~Fran

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Thanks John. I just ate lunch, tested my bg just before eating (94). I had a bowl of turkey chilli with beans. I will test again at 2:30 and again at 3:30 p.m.

As for going "off plan", my plan would probably shock most diabetics; but I am careful. I really don't like the way I felt -- when first diagnosed and not on track yet -- when I ate too many carbs. I shudder when I think of how I would regret what I ate back then... awful feeling, just awful. :eek:hwell:

We shall see how the test goes.

Thanks again.
~Fran
Yep, Going DKA on a blood glucose level of 400 certainly put the frighteners on me! It'll be a long time before I go seriously off plan. I'm lucky as well - the OH is even more of a stickler than I am! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, Going DKA on a blood glucose level of 400 certainly put the frighteners on me! It'll be a long time before I go seriously off plan. I'm lucky as well - the OH is even more of a stickler than I am! :)
Ok John, the jury is in ... I finished lunch at 1:40 p.m. I tested my bg at 3:02 and it was 103; then again at 3:52 and it is 97. Sooooo, am I no longer insulin resistant or ... do I need to do this test consistently to know for sure?

~fran

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I'm not sure turkey chili with beans is the best test for several reasons:

1. Beans are complex carbs and your bg could go up at 3 hours vs at 2 hrs
2. If you're eating very low-carb, the carbs could be replacing your glycogen stores in your liver and not show on a test
3. Depending what else you ate that day, and how many beans, you might well be able to tolerate some beans.

A better test would be a simple carb - white potato, rice, sugar - something truly diabetic-wicked!

But are you still insulin resistant? Yes. Because as you said, there is no cure.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Fran, Welcome to DF. This is a great support site for all D's. Insulin Resistance is one of those things that is very hard to test. Most type 2's are IR. My doctor keeps telling me my IR has disappeared since I am fairly thin, but I differ. I do find when I eat low carb, but just a few extra carbs like a slice of toast or a bag of chips sends me soaring. So the way I see it is as long as you are eating in a way that keeps your bgs in a normal range you are well managed. Does that mean you can eat all the carbs you want, I doubt it. Every once in awhile I push the edge a little and see if I can eat normal. It never works out. As far as the signature I think you have to make a certain number of posts before you can create a signature.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure turkey chili with beans is the best test for several reasons:

1. Beans are complex carbs and your bg could go up at 3 hours vs at 2 hrs
2. If you're eating very low-carb, the carbs could be replacing your glycogen stores in your liver and not show on a test
3. Depending what else you ate that day, and how many beans, you might well be able to tolerate some beans.

A better test would be a simple carb - white potato, rice, sugar - something truly diabetic-wicked!

But are you still insulin resistant? Yes. Because as you said, there is no cure.
Ah hah! So, insulin resistance is a component of diabetes and therefore no matter how good my bg numbers are ... this will always be an issue, yes?

While I didn't know that beans were so complex, I thought they might not be the best test but, as it happened, that's what I had for lunch so I "went for it." Now, before reading your post, and after the 3:52 p.m. bg testing (97), I ate 2 graham crackers with peanut butter. I checked my bg at 4:50 and it is 113. Not great, but not too bad for less an hour between eating and testing, right ... or ....?

I'm listening and learning ... thanks to everyone for your responses, they are great!

~Fran

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Fran, Welcome to DF. This is a great support site for all D's. Insulin Resistance is one of those things that is very hard to test. Most type 2's are IR. My doctor keeps telling me my IR has disappeared since I am fairly thin, but I differ. I do find when I eat low carb, but just a few extra carbs like a slice of toast or a bag of chips sends me soaring. So the way I see it is as long as you are eating in a way that keeps your bgs in a normal range you are well managed. Does that mean you can eat all the carbs you want, I doubt it. Every once in awhile I push the edge a little and see if I can eat normal. It never works out. As far as the signature I think you have to make a certain number of posts before you can create a signature.
Thanks Jwags ... while I am not thin I have been losing weight and have lost about 75 lbs over the past 2 years ... still need to lose a bit more. I'm working on it. The info about the sig is helpful, thank you for sharing.

~Fran

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
For T2s the basic problem is a combination of insulin secretion & resistance. What is the degree of each is definitely very personal & differs from person to person. That's why YMMV (your mileage may vary). I look at D as a clock - very difficult to turn back, but can be managed well.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I was reading that there is something called the HOMA calculator which can tell how you insulin resistance in %. You need to get two tests for these (Insulin level and blood sugar level at fasting)

Based on this the calculator you can know your insulin resistance(or sensitivity) and beta cell function capacity

This is the only calculator available which I could find on this topic. Ofcourse this may not be accurate. Some people on other forums and blogs have called it useless. But i've seen this been used in part of some studies

http://www.dtu.ox.ac.uk/homacalculator/index.php

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Your bgs seem pretty good, I would think you pretty much have your Insulin Resistance under control. When you have Insulin Resistance you want fairly consistent bgs throughout the day. You want to avoid the spikes you get with simple carbs. Complex carbs add another layer in. Sometimes the spike is slower but may last over many hours. An Insulin Resistance diet usually consists of foods with a lot of fiber that digest slowly over many hours. This way you avoid the roller coaster of highs and lows.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts