The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never cooked with it, and never had it in the house. I'm trying to lower my carb intake and I'm a vegetarian, so this seems really interesting.

It is mostly protein and the carbs are nearly all fiber. I just put in an order with Amazon for a 15 pound box. (economy size :) ) This is the link to the product if that helps anyone.

Unflavored Textured Vegetable Protein TVP - Bulk 15 Pound Case: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

I got the straight unflavored kind. It's cheaper and low fat. Any tips for cooking it? It reads like you can just add hot water and that's enough. Maybe some kind of sauce for flavoring. Any suggestions for that sauce?

I expect I'll be adding it to rice, soups and maybe fried vegetables.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Chili with black soy beans.

Cauliflower rice and other ingreds in casseroles.

Eggplant parmesan.

Sloppy Joes.

There are a LOT of middle eastern and greek recipes using ground lamb or beef you could use it in. Moussaka!

But 15 lbs would go stale before I used it up, in my house!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I used it some years ago and just added a handful to anything I cooked...spaghetti sauce, etc. and it was not noticeable in anything. Never plain, but I used it up pretty quickly and no one suspected a thing!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I got the delivery and it is in 6 cans. (thank you :) ) It is supposed to be one of the most stable foods around. These say they should be good for 20 years sealed. I suppose it should last longer than most when opened too. Most cans of vegetables have an expiry date about a year or 2 away when I looked at them.

It's the highest protein food I have. 25 gms of it has 9 g carbs, and 13 g protein. I expect to get into it seriously as soon as I clean out my more perishable food around here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts